1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

NGD: PRS 408

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RockDebris, May 8, 2016.

1. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

A few years back I was shopping for an amp to pair with my McCarty. The store didn't have a McCarty to test with, so I tried a 408. It was a versatile pickup system and I knew right away I wanted one. New prices are a little out of my reach, so I watched and waited for nearly 3 years for a used one to come in at price I could (barely) afford. My only requirement of the guitar was that it had the wrap around bridge. I would prefer dot inlays, but that's not an option. I don't really care about 10 tops or any of that.

I was telling my wife just the day before I saw this that I had pretty much given up on a 408 and that I was going to turn my attention to getting something more readily available on the used market in my range, like a Mira S2 or perhaps a NF3. Almost as if the universe was waiting for me to say I had given up, BAM. There it was. Almost in my range ($1995). Just a little bit of haggling and I got it for $1700 shipped (still, the most I have ever paid for a guitar ... I bought an SAS new for $1400 11 years ago).

Here is the specimen:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got it on Friday, did my setup on it, and man .... NO REGRETS! They listed the guitar as excellent, but it was in as good a condition as I've ever seen any used guitar, complete with all the case candy.

It doesn't diminish what I still love about my Vela and McCarty, it just adds a whole set of tonal possibilities. It is a tad bright for how I have my rig dialed in for a McCarty, but nothing backing the tone knob off to about 8 doesn't account for. The single coil taps, either alone or in combination with each other, or the humbuckers, is a legit single coil sound. The main reason I wanted the guitar is because I had been carrying along a strat to my gigs for those songs a McCarty doesn't work that well for. Seems right now that this guitar can do anything I need a guitar to do, plus a few extra things. It is not a total strat replacement, but it is fine for me (my main strat position is the bridge and neck together, defeating the middle. I always have to wire my strats that way). My current favorite sound is the bridge humbucker together with the neck single coil and high gain. I was going back to it so much, that a riff worked its way out. Ever have a new guitar and it seems like there is a sound and riff that was in there just waiting for you? I recorded the sound and the riff. I couldn't wait to get an audio example of the guitar to compare with my other recordings:

(I actually ended up using it impulsively as a submission to a challenge Chappers threw down.)

Anyway. Bottom line: thrilled. Worth every penny of $1700. If I could get second one for say, $1500 (long shot price these days), I think I'd have to take it.

Cheers, Joe

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    Soothsayer, Rockin J, jrw32 and 11 others like this.
  2. Gonkboy

Gonkboy Member

That's a real beauty. Great looking and sounding. Nice to see your vid for the Chapper's challenge.

3. hendrik7

hendrik7 Member

Total steal! Those red ones look so good too! Right up there with the black gold imo

4. morgan918

morgan918 Member

Sounds really nice! Loads of clarity. Congrats!

RockDebris likes this.
  5. megaboogie

megaboogie Member

Congrats! I still love my 408 like the first day I bought it.

RockDebris likes this.
  6. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Thanks! Yourself or anyone else here do a vid for that?

7. MattC

MattC Member

Awesome score. You got this from Chicago music exchange, right? I saw it online last Week and thought "gee, what a deal, if that's around in June when I go to chi town, I'll have to give it a try." It was gone next time I looked. I wasn't surprised to see it get snatched up quickly at that price. Enjoy, and if you ever change your mind about the axe, PM me - I might be interested. :JAM

8. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Man, black gold is probably more first choice if I was buying a new one and going for transparent colors. There was was this other one up at Wildwood Guitars for a very long time, it was finally sold. It was a darker red transparent top, no burst, body binding and a natural back. I kept going back to see if it was still there for about a year, but I probably would have never spent the $2800 asking price. I would have been very happy with that! I tend to play it safe in color selection, so a solid back with body binding and the creme and nickel parts would have been perfect. When you are shopping for one of these used, and you have a lower budget, it is hard to be too picky. I really lucked out.

hendrik7 likes this.
  9. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Yup. I let it sit there for a few days because it was still the upper end of my budget. I knew the price was fair though and that it would go. I was trying not be impulsive ... and I had to soften up the wife a bit. haha. I used the old, "I'll sell my SAS if I get this one" (of course, she knew that wasn't going to happen ... and she was right :))

MattC likes this.
  10. MattC

MattC Member

Well you can show her this post as affirmation that you got a hell of a deal!! Enjoy in good health. They had a really nice 513 that moved quickly as well. PRS are great guitars. Can't wait to add one to my stable eventually.

RockDebris likes this.
  11. MattC

MattC Member

There's a black gold 408 at my GC, and though I haven't seen yours in person, I think the red is better looking.

12. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

I've seen some "meh" black golds and absolutely stunning ones. Something about how much burst is there and how the maple took the stain. It's like the red ones too. As a general rule of thumb, I'm not all that into red on a guitar, but I saw this one and I liked it a lot. BTW, my McCarty is a color they had called Black Cherry which I like a lot too, ironic for a guy who generally doesn't prefer red guitars ....

hendrik7 likes this.
  13. lemonpaul59

lemonpaul59 Member

I'd say you got a hell of a deal, approx 50% of the discounted price it sold for. You're a strat guy, so the knifeswitch is probably right up your alley.

RockDebris likes this.
  14. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Dude, killer deal and killer axe!

RockDebris likes this.
  15. pcbb

pcbb Member

Congrats on a sweet guitar

RockDebris likes this.
  16. sloanthebone

sloanthebone Silver Supporting Member

Love it! Excellent color. I always wanted one of these.

RockDebris likes this.