NGD: PRS DC3

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 57Strat777, May 11, 2015.

1. 57Strat777

57Strat777 Member

I've been playing Strats since 1969 and currently own four Fender Strats. About 3 months ago I bought a PRS NF3, which was my first new guitar in 15 years. I haven't played any of my Strats since the NF3 arrived. I loved the NF3 so much I bought a PRS DC3. I am still playing with the setup on the DC3, but the steel bridge (vs. brass on the NF3) is definitely a lot brighter and has more chime than the NF3. Quality and workmanship is superb on both guitars.

Dealer pic of actual NF3 I purchased
    [​IMG]

Dealer pic of actual DC3 I purchased
    [​IMG]

2. dmkz

dmkz Member

Congrats! I recently picked up a PRS Brent Mason to replace my strat and I couldn't be happier

3. davetone

davetone Member

Nice! Congrats on both guitars. I really really like the DC3. How about that nice dry maple neck?

It's too bad PRS doesn't make them anymore. The DC3 would have been my first PRS, but the local music store that I am loyal to only had a heavy one weight-wise (heavier than other DC3s I've seen in stores or online), so I passed. I ended up with a Swamp Ash Special Narrowfield which I like.

But I've always loved the DC3. Those are great guitars!

4. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin Member

NF3 and DC3?

I think you need a 305 next ! :D

5. 57Strat777

57Strat777 Member

I love the neck finish and neck profile!!!!

Weight wise I think these two are pretty good. The NF3 weighs 6.8 lbs and the DC3 weighs 7.4 lbs. Playing a 6.8 lb guitar is so comfortable when you're used to playing 8 lb.+ guitars.

Those SAS guitars are sweet. It was a tough choice between the DC3, NF3 and SAS. I bought both of these from John Mann and he also has a SAS which I thought about but ultimately went with the NF3 and DC3 due to the 25 1/4 scale length

6. 57Strat777

57Strat777 Member

Did you find that you need to adjust the single coil pickup height lower than what you traditionally do with a Strat? I'm still playing around with pickup height, but I think at the factory pickup height there is a little too much ice pick in the ear treble. I saw one youtube video where the DC3 owner says he had to lower the pickups quite a bit to eliminate the ice pick treble and get the strat quack in position 2 and 4.

7. 999369

999369 Member

8. 57Strat777

57Strat777 Member

My wife says I'm done with buying guitars for a while. But yeah....the 305 looks like a great one.

9. 57Strat777

57Strat777 Member

I see you're from St. George. I'm going there in a few weeks. Are there any good guitar stores I can check out while I'm there?

10. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin Member

Here is a nudge for ya :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. megaboogie

megaboogie Supporting Member

Congrats op! sweet guitars.
    I never got to play any of the PRS singlecoils, but I would love to try a DC3 or a 305.

That white 305 is sweet too!

12. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

Nice guitar! I have a McCarty & have thought of adding a DC3.

13. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Sweet guitars! Congrats!

14. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

Cool guitars, they definitely look like brothers! :D

15. dmkz

dmkz Member

I haven't made any adjustments from the factory setup, but I'm not a tinkerer and I probably use the middle (single coil) pickup the least. I use the mini switch on the bridge humbucker for most of my single coil noises.

[​IMG]

16. davetone

davetone Member

There really is nothing like that neck! It's so dry. I don't play out much, but when I do I'm so grateful to have such a dry neck like that. I saw a video, I think it was for the DC3 (same maple neck finish as the SAS), where Paul Reed Smith said that the finish was inside the wood.

7.4 is a real good weight. If the one at the local music store was that weight I would have bought it!

My SAS is 7.2 pounds, which is really good. The 6.8 pounds for the NF3 is an awesome weight!

I hope they start making those again. They are great guitars.

Edit: Yikes! They aren't currently making the DC3, the NF3 or the SAS now. Or the 305 either.