NGD: PRS DGT & Review

jefrobie

Silver Supporting Member
Been a few years since I owned a PRS. It was a CU22, beautiful to look at and play, but tone wise just didn't do it for me. It felt pretty sterile, much like a couple of Andersons' I've owned. Beautiful guitars but I wanted something with some character/personality. I gravitated to a couple of Danocaster tele's, one single and one a mongrel(Florence PAF), and also have a Ron Kirn Strat. In watching a Sean Tubbs clip reviewing a Jackson Mcfly, the tones he was getting out of his gold topped PRS really captured my ear. It was a DGT, and it just opened the door again. Got a great trade out of a guitar and added a few bucks to get this beauty...Honestly, did not buy it for the looks, I'm much more comfortable with my Dano's and Kirn "slightly beat" look. I took my pedalboard into the guitar shop and spent quite a bit playing the DGT. Also played the Paul's guitar as well as a Starla S2. It was no contest. At first I was surprised at how much narrower the fretboard was but it took no time to forget about it. Intonations perfect, fretwork and everything else, not sure I've seen a better quality guitar and I've had a few. Fender Custom Shops, Gibson Custom Shops, Andersons, etc...Even my Johnny A I had to replace the nut, do some work on the bridge. The Prs tuners were maybe smoothest I've had on a guitar. And the pickups are all they were cracked up to be...with a caveat. I've been so used to having volume and tone controls wide open on my guitars and just rolling stuff off a bit if needed... and started the same with the DGT. It sounded very good, but not all I expected. After looking at a couple of reviews, I changed my tactic a bit, turned the volume and tone down to 6 on guitar (which is what Grissom talks about doing) and up on amp. Whole other world...The guitar comes alive, the nuances of the pickups really shine whether single or double. I also found initially the neck pickup was too dark, boomy until I adjusted the amp for the neck instead of the bridge...It all came together. Compared to the PRS I've owned, and any other I've played, the DGT is a different guitar. The 11's really work with the slightly taller fretwork. It feels like 10's on my tele's. I've read a number of reviews of guys that think the guitar is a tad too bright, my experience is the opposite. Maybe playing tele's for too long, but this guitar is much darker to me. Versatile as all get out. The tremolo works perfectly, seems to add sustain. The guitar is crazy resonant, fairly lightweight and does give you some tele/strat tones...Absolutely nothing I would change on this guitar save the "shininess" that I will have to get over!

Last edited:

Puckbucker

Congrats. Glad you like it.

I may have to try your suggested volume settings and see how they work (even though I've owned my DGT for some time).
How do you like it vs the Johnny A?

Texsunburst59

VERY nice.

I own an '09 DGT Sunburst 10-Top myself and it's an amazing guitar.

I guess I'm going to try the volume and tone on 6 suggestion myself and set the amp to the neck.

Thanks for the tip.

Congrats on a killer guitar!!

jefrobie

Silver Supporting Member
The Johnny is a great guitar, has it's own kind of vibe and certainly, surprisingly versatile. With that, these two guitars live in the same general price range and the PRS blows the Johnny away in most everything buildwise and versatility. I had to replace the nut, spend some money on the bridge etc to get the Johnny playing well. I liked the Johnny A vibe a lot. I had the mahogany standard and it just had that vintage thing I liked. As far as the DGT, I'm just surprised. Did not think I'd ever own a PRS again, had absolutely no idea. I've read where this guitar has brought folks back into the PRS camp so to speak.

jefrobie

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats. Glad you like it.

I may have to try your suggested volume settings and see how they work (even though I've owned my DGT for some time).
How do you like it vs the Johnny A?
Dropping the volume and tone down really helped with the pickups nuances. Wide open the differences felt somewhat subtle, dropping them on the guitar and upping the amp the difference in the coil tap as well as mixing the volumes between both pickups were MUCH increased in my ears anyway...

Puckbucker

Jefrobie: Thanks for the reply. Glad you like it. I know what you mean on the Gibby side.
I have become a PRS devotee. Best

jefrobie

Silver Supporting Member
Added a much better pic. It's a "one off" color called charcoal tobacco wrap according to the dealer...

jefrobie

Silver Supporting Member
Jefrobie: Thanks for the reply. Glad you like it. I know what you mean on the Gibby side.
I have become a PRS devotee. Best
Seems like the last few Gibson's I've had...had to spend a bit of $$ to get them where I wanted them...This may be the first guitar that "out of the box" I have no desire to change pickups or???
Maybe some sand paper? LOL>>>

Rikster

Jefrobie,

Congratulations on your new DGT !!! Truly is a very versatile guitar I've been having a great time with my new one as well. Enjoy !

Cheers,

Rich:cool:

Artjr

Silver Supporting Member
That's a great looking color. Is the back natural? Awesome looking DGT....

EADGBE

Been a few years since I owned a PRS. It was a CU22, beautiful to look at and play, but tone wise just didn't do it for me. It felt pretty sterile, much like a couple of Andersons' I've owned.
Why do you think it sounded sterile? What woods was it made from?

jefrobie

Silver Supporting Member
Why do you think it sounded sterile? What woods was it made from?
Hmmm...I think the cu22 had a maple top, I also had three different Andersons...all three of those guitars were beautiful and great players, but I think my ears just didn't like their pickups. There was nothing wrong, just didn't have the character I've heard out of say the 57s in my old Johnny A or the Florance PAF's I have in my Danocaster mongrel...the DGT pickups just have more of a vintage classic vibe to them which maybe was missing for me in my original PRS and Andersons...

jefrobie

Silver Supporting Member
Just curious...what amp are you playing through?
I am playing through a Jackson McFly. In the guitar shop I played through a Supro amp which was pretty cool...my other amp is a Genz Benz Bkack Pearl which I have not played the DGt through yet...

Trending Topics