NGD: PRS Mira Mahogany (2009)

enigma

Silver Supporting Member
I've owned many PRSi and always thought the Mira hit the sweet spot in their line. And, it appears that the used market for Mira and, generally, PRS guitars are excellent.

Here's my 2009 PRS Mira Mahogany in Vintage Cherry:

Last edited:

archey

Very nice. Joe Knaggs really deserves a lot of recognition for the miras and starlas. Both are great guitars that attracted people who usually don't like a prs to the brand.

CyberFerret

Beautiful - I have a Mira very similar to that, except with the birds instead of dots on the fretboard. Easily one of my favourite guitars. Enjoy yours.

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
Nice axe. There is one exactly like that except with birds in our local GC that is a super sweet player. I have had three myself and they are very nice - possibly my favorite USA PRS.

MartinC

Congratulations Enigma. You'll no doubt love that guitar. I've got one that's almost the same too ... mine is vintage cherry (which I think is what yours is ... though it's hard to tell vintage cherry from vintage mahogany in some photos) ... and mine also has outline birds.

What neck carve do you have? Mine is the "regular" (which pre-dates the current "pattern regular") and it's this carve that is one of my favourite features of the Mira ... the most comfortable neck I've ever played. Perfect thickness, perfect shape, perfect nut width.

What is the intonation like on those things?
Intonation with 10s is spot on (or as spot on as you can get with a guitar without tempered frets). I've also got a Suhr Classic that has the Buzz Feiten tuning system ... the Mira sounds as in-tune to my ears all over the neck as the Suhr. Similar to the Buzz Feiten system, I believe PRS guitars have some compensation in the placement of the nut (it's moved ever so slightly towards the bridge from the "correct" position based on pure measurement of distance) ... and the stoptail has built in compensations that at least work perfectly well with 10s ... I believe the PRS blurb says the bridge will intonate well with 9s, 10s and 11s, but I've never tried 9's or 11's so can't comment on that.

One thing I really like about the stoptail is how easy it makes setup work ... there are two small allen screws on the back of the bridge that allow you to move the whole bridge towards or away from the nut ... you just need to set the intonation on the top and bottom E strings and you get the rest for free. Height too is easy, using a coin and the two large screws on either side of the top of the bridge. Again, you just have to worry about the action on the top and bottom E strings and the rest are for free, falling perfectly in line with the radius of the fretboard.

Long live the Mira!

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
Very nice. Joe Knaggs really deserves a lot of recognition for the miras and starlas. Both are great guitars that attracted people who usually don't like a prs to the brand.
Indeed. Although I own and like quite a few PRS, my Starla is very special to me. As with the Mira, there's a simple, timeless elegance to the design, and both play beautifully and have familiar yet distinctive sounds.

Nice one!

orourke

Silver Supporting Member
Beautifully understated. Most PRS guitars a too flamey and birdy for my taste. That guitar is gorgeous.

Angeln

When you took the picture, how did you get the effect of the guitar floating in mid-air above the driveway detritus? Do you have a sloping glass-topped table to perch it on? Very clean, if so - nary a fingerprint to be seen!

enigma

Silver Supporting Member
Congratulations Enigma. You'll no doubt love that guitar. I've got one that's almost the same too ... mine is vintage cherry (which I think is what yours is ... though it's hard to tell vintage cherry from vintage mahogany in some photos) ... and mine also has outline birds.

What neck carve do you have? Mine is the "regular" (which pre-dates the current "pattern regular") and it's this carve that is one of my favourite features of the Mira ... the most comfortable neck I've ever played. Perfect thickness, perfect shape, perfect nut width.
The finish on mine is vintage cherry and the wood is mahogany. It has a standard neck carve which I get along quite well with!

enigma

Silver Supporting Member
When you took the picture, how did you get the effect of the guitar floating in mid-air above the driveway detritus? Do you have a sloping glass-topped table to perch it on? Very clean, if so - nary a fingerprint to be seen!
I literally put the guitar flat on the guitar stand, well balanced and very carefully! A bit risky, but no accidents thus far.

LJOHNS

Yep these are great guitars. I have been wanting one for years now. I will pick one up one of these days! Feels way better to me than an SG.

keto

I had one when they were a brand new item and foolishly sold it. Came across a NOS 2008(? maybe 9? First year, anyways) that hadn't ever been marked up $$ and snagged it instantly. Love it.