• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

NGD: PRS SC58! (with 57/08 pickups)

Guitarjon

I had my Ibanez Prestige RGT320Z neck-thru up for sale/trade for a couple of months. It was a beautiful guitar, in fact probably the Ibanez that I had every played or owned. I just didn't use it enough and I really wanted a PRS.. So someone finally responded and he wanted to trade his PRS SC58 for my Ibanez if I paid a little extra, which I did. He is super happy with the Ibanez and I'm really happy with the PRS. The SC58 was used but it's still in great shape. Some dings here and there and some fret-wear but nothing major. I also had to get the nut fixed but now the action is just great!

So I'm not a PRS expert, I only own a couple of PRS SE guitars (which are amazing in their own right btw) so I did some research. The SC58 is apparently based on the old 58 Les Pauls. That's why it has the more classic stop-tail bridge and the 57/08 pickups. The pickups have a sweet and unique sound to them. Vintage sounding with a low output but very nice! I'm a rock player myself so I was a bit concerned that they wouldn't work well for heavier styles but luckily they sound really nice with high gain. I did a little test with my Mesa Dual and Mini Rectifier to try that out, in case you're interested: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...a-dual-mini-rectifier-nu-metal-sound.2242485/

The guitar sounds really resonant so they obviously used very high quality woods here. That's not a surprise but it does make me really happy :) The neck is a little on the fat side but it still plays really comfortably. The artist grade top looks very nice too and the artist case is pretty insane! I love this guitar and I can't wait to get another PRS! I also got a Zach Myers recently and I really like that one so maybe I will get a PRS SE 245 in charcoal burst soon as they look really cool!

Does anyone else here have an SC58? How do you like it?

Golem

Silver Supporting Member
Nice! I think I had that and the Stripped 58 on my radar for a long time. Somehow I never landed one and eventually ended up with a SC594 Semi hollow which I love. I know that the SC58 is one I've wanted to try for a long time.

Guitarjon

Nice! I think I had that and the Stripped 58 on my radar for a long time. Somehow I never landed one and eventually ended up with a SC594 Semi hollow which I love. I know that the SC58 is one I've wanted to try for a long time.
Sweet! That's the one without the binding, right? Looks great too! Those semi-hollows seem really nice too. Love that feature on my Zach Myers!

As they say, Pics.
Fair point, you can see the guitar in the video that I posted in the OP, but here's another pic of the SC58 with the Zach Myers:

Tiboy

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats on the new guitar. I had a stripped 58 some years back. It was a fantastic guitar. I hope you have many happy years of rocking the SC58.

Rockin J

Congrats on your SC 58.
I have a stripped 58.
Great guitar and PRS developed one mighty fine sounding set of pickups with the 57/08’s.

gs watts

SC 58 is one of the best guitars PRS ever made.... I would never sell or trade mine... qualty thru and thru.....

Guitarjon

Thanks guys! I'm super happy with the guitar! Now I just hope the frets will last for a very long time, since they already have some slight wear...

ProfRhino

congrats - one of the best SCs you're likely to find - anywhere ! :cool:
plus they are super consistent, never played one that sounded less than stellar ...

here are mine :
Mary the Stripper

Laura

tied with the DGTs, these are among my most played guitars, for a reason.

rock your new beauty ! :dude
Rhino

Guitarjon

congrats - one of the best SCs you're likely to find - anywhere ! :cool:
plus they are super consistent, never played one that sounded less than stellar ...

here are mine :
Mary the Stripper

Laura

tied with the DGTs, these are among my most played guitars, for a reason.

rock your new beauty ! :dude
Rhino
Sweet! How do you like the 57/08s?

ProfRhino

Sweet! How do you like the 57/08s?
#1 ... :love:
I have them in 5 guitars right now (besides the above two, in a SC Ted, a HB II Piezo and a MIJ Sheraton, all without treble bleeds), tendency up.
they bring out the best in every single one of my amps !
my "other #1", the mighty DGTs, are just as nice, but a bit more picky about amps, they have a clear preference for EL tubes.
interesting enough, playing a DGT is a different mindset for me - here I enjoy the treble bleeds and resistor splits, big time.
horses for courses ...

to give you some perspective, other HBs I love include Pearlies, A2 BB1 &2, old '57 Classics, Saturday Night Specials and all kinds of Filtertrons.
so, more the classic department in general ...
same for amps, I prefer basic circuits, taking advantage of power amp saturation.
the 57/08s just love that approach ...

ymmv,
Rhino

kellynm

Love my SC-58. I'm a les paul guy and while different, it's every bit as good as my R8. Mine has a tone pot issue, so sometime soon I plan to replace both tone pots with push pulls as I've read the stock 57/08s have the split conductor coiled up in the pickup cavities.

Trending Topics