NGD PRS Tonare Grand Custom w/video demo

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by RockinB23, May 30, 2015.

1. RockinB23

RockinB23 Member

Well I had been wanting to get my hands on one of these larger bodied PRS acoustics since they came out in 2009. I had played one of the super pricey $13000 Angelus Private Stock instruments at my local GC a while back and I remember thinking it was quite nice but not a 5 figure guitar. These instruments for sure compete well in the mid $5k-$6k mark though in my opinion. This one I'm demoing is from 2010 during the Steve Fischer era. Its a custom model with Adirondack Spruce over Cocobolo. It has the PRS pickup system but it wasn't used during this recording.

The guitar has a very smooth and rich attack and its quite responsive!! It reminds me of some of the Ryan guitars I've played which is a very good thing. It also is some what similar to the newer Goodall Standards I've played which is another reason why I quite like the instrument. It feels and responds like a fine finger style guitar built by a solo luthier but yet it takes a pick quite well also.

The Robson tuners are quite pretty and are very smooth and seem to hold a tune well. The top on the guitar is quite thin and the back and sides are a bit thicker than other builders do. The Cocobolo and dual 9v batteries for the pick up make this instrument heavier than some acoustics you'll find. Not quite McPherson Heavy if you know what I mean.

All the way around I'm pleased with my purchase. I'd like to play one of the Euro Spruce over Mahogany ones that were quite common.

Here's the video of the guitar I did so you can get an idea of the tone.

klwn, joeprs and Jay K like this.
  2. Jay K

Jay K Member

Ha! You finally got a PRS acoustic. When I wrote to you earlier and said the PRS's I had played had some tonal similarities to Ryans I was thinking I may have been one of the rare few who thought this. My Tonare has the same wood combination as yours although was built in 2011.

As always, great playing!

RockinB23 likes this.
  3. RockinB23

RockinB23 Member

Hey Jay You and one other person were actually what made decide to go out on a limb and buy a PRS acoustic. You were right on when you told me they are quite close to the same level as a Ryan. This one I got is a great guitar!!!! Thanks for leading me towards this one!!

4. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

Great sounding guitar, I want one badly! Congrats!

5. tabl10s

tabl10s Member

I have a Brazilian TG with German Spruce. It handily beats the Kronbauer MJ and the Turner Compass Rose I had simultaneously(both in Claro Walnut).

Yours had the carbon truss rod that's now only available on private stock guitars.

I want another.

6. RockinB23

RockinB23 Member

Since I first posted about this guitars, I bought a 2nd Tonare Grand. It was built for Ricky Skaggs in 2009. Its European Spruce and Cocobolo. I was quite impressed with the first one and this 2nd one is even better. For some reason the 2009 model built for Ricky Skaggs feels noticeably lighter weight than the Adi over Cocobolo one from 2010. Both have pickups.

Jay K likes this.
  7. Jay K

Jay K Member

Another Ha! I too recently bought a 2nd Tonare Grand, this time with European Spruce over highly-figured Mahogany. I was told it was built for a country star, but I haven't gotten around to asking who. As I had it in the shop for a new nut and set-up and am now traveling I don't have much to say about its sound or other characteristics, but my general impressions so far based on some real quick casual playing before I left are positive.