NGD - R8 - Jackpot

magilla

michaelggguitar (IG)
Platinum Supporting Member
Beauty! Nice pickup. The 2013 and later Historics are really impressive, and 2014 itself is a step up from 2013.

Of course, every guitar is different, I happened to land on an '01 R8 that just has it after owning a dozen or so Historics, True Historics, Collector's Choice, etc. But I digress.

That top is just about perfect. Gorgeous guitar and I think the Customerbuckers are a great step in the right direction from the generally more overwound, mid-heavy, less scooped, less open sounding '57 Classics and Bursbuckers - if you're looking for more of that traditional PAF thing.

I know you're a tweed man, Rossi, and I'm sure you're already putting your amp collection through it's paces with this Lester - what are you playing it through and what kind of tones are you getting?

Rossi163

Silver Supporting Member
Beauty! Nice pickup. The 2013 and later Historics are really impressive, and 2014 itself is a step up from 2013.

Of course, every guitar is different, I happened to land on an '01 R8 that just has it after owning a dozen or so Historics, True Historics, Collector's Choice, etc. But I digress.

That top is just about perfect. Gorgeous guitar and I think the Customerbuckers are a great step in the right direction from the generally more overwound, mid-heavy, less scooped, less open sounding '57 Classics and Bursbuckers - if you're looking for more of that traditional PAF thing.

I know you're a tweed man, Rossi, and I'm sure you're already putting your amp collection through it's paces with this Lester - what are you playing it through and what kind of tones are you getting?
So far I've only tried it through my 2 x 10 Vibroverb, and everything sounds great through that amp. Bright and snappy bridge PU and smooth and smokey neck PU are my first impressions. Can't wait to run it through my 5F4 Super.

Rossi163

Silver Supporting Member

I spent a couple of hours today playing this and my R7 through a few of my amps today and it was a revelation to realize how good these 2014 LP's are. Maybe I got lucky but both of these sound amazing. Very snappy, lively and vibrant. The goldtop is a little drier and more woody sounding, with a touch of that nasal "honk" to the mids, in the very best way, while the R8 is juicier and more liquid. The R8 has Throbak's in it (102+) and they are louder than the R7's Custombuckers, but the R7 holds it's own and then some with it's own voice. The '57 profile fat neck on that thing is sublime. I would graft it onto the R8 if I could.

I am fortunate to have two great Les Pauls. I was fully content with the R7 until this R8 came along. If money were no object, they would both be keepers, but I can only justify one LP at the present. Someone should buy the R7, it is legit. if it had a flamey top I'd never would have needed the R8.

magilla

michaelggguitar (IG)
Platinum Supporting Member
I spent a couple of hours today playing this and my R7 through a few of my amps today and it was a revelation to realize how good these 2014 LP's are. Maybe I got lucky but both of these sound amazing. Very snappy, lively and vibrant. The goldtop is a little drier and more woody sounding, with a touch of that nasal "honk" to the mids, in the very best way, while the R8 is juicier and more liquid. The R8 has Throbak's in it (102+) and they are louder than the R7's Custombuckers, but the R7 holds it's own and then some with it's own voice. The '57 profile fat neck on that thing is sublime. I would graft it onto the R8 if I could.

I am fortunate to have two great Les Pauls. I was fully content with the R7 until this R8 came along. If money were no object, they would both be keepers, but I can only justify one LP at the present. Someone should buy the R7, it is legit. if it had a flamey top I'd never would have needed the R8.
Agreed on all accounts. Too bad you're not on the West Coast, sounds like we could have a serious gear / tone fest.

I would snag that GT in a heartbeat if I weren't invested in my R8, which has a set of Wizz pickups waiting for it when I get around to it. Shopping around for a harness, too, so I can actually use the pots. Waiting for CreamTone to get back to me on an email inquiry, we'll see. Although the Classic 57s, with their heavy midrange and higher output, are doing just fine with my '80 Tubescreamer into my '64 Vibroverb for crunch ala Black Crowes, but I can't wait for the Wizz pups to capture more of that traditional PAF, low wind, open highs with bite thing.

I digress, this isn't about me - this is about your killer LP! And the fact that someone will grab your GT which is another killer and a TON of guitar for the loot.

mcdyas

Gold Supporting Member
I usually would not have considered R8s due to their supposed thick necks, but I tried one that available locally the the neck is terrific. It seems like it flattens out as it goes up the neck and is very easy to handle- feels great actually and I usually like the R0 neck. Mine is a 2013 and totally stock, and it sounds like one of the best LP reissues I have ever had.

Trending Topics