NGD: Red Llama, camel toe time!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bear Detective, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Bear Detective

Bear Detective Member

Just got my red llama in and it is awesome, I really thought my love pedal od11 was transparent but compared to the llama it now sounds hifi (don't get me wrong the od11 is still great). Man it really just takes the signal and gives it an awesome girth while not bumping the mids, excellent for rhythm parts and general crunch, I am using it on a pretty low gain setting, sounds a whole lot like I just turned my amp up louder when I step on it (that's a good thing).

Iv already got myself a green rhino, so obviously I'm camel toe-in got up. Now iv got a cunundrum though, which order? I figured rhino into the llama makes the most sense, but now I'm not so sure, both orders sound great but also very different.
    Rhino into llama yields a very modern sound, slightly weak in the mids but powerful, great for leads and hi-gain rhythms. Llama into rhino gives a nice thick vintage type of sound, awesome for leads, jumps out and has a lot of volume, probsbly a little muddy for rhythms though. I guess whichever pedal is last in the chain affects the character the most. Or rather if the rhino is second it imparts its tube screamer sound a lot more.

This is weird to me since in the past any time iv used a boost into the rhino it has produced an unpleasant fizzy distortion, but with the llama it works, funny, I will definitely be doing more experimentation with those in the near future.

I'm pretty excited to try the llama out in a band setting, I think it's got the grapes.

[​IMG]

2. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Member

I prefer llama into rhino myself, but I think that's the reverse of how most do it, and also reverse of the Camel Toe? I might be wrong about that. I love those two, though, particularly the llama. Hard to beat it for ballsy rhythm stuff-- great uncompressed feel.

3. drgonzoguitar

drgonzoguitar Member

Agree! I love the Camel Toe!

4. jota

jota Member

I think the Camel Toe has a switch to change the order, or was it to make it series-parallel?

5. Jimmy3Fingers

Jimmy3Fingers Member

If stacking is the goal, I would probably put them in order based on rhythm verse lead tone. Meaning, whichever order gives you the lead tone you prefer when the second pedal is stomped 'on' (i.e. both are engaged), assuming the other is already 'on' for rhythm.

6. Bear Detective

Bear Detective Member

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, llama into rhino is more pleasing to my ears for leads, I'm just surprised it works well that way.

And yeah the llama gets so damn ballsy, but also articulate, it's certainly gonna be getting the majority of my rhythm work. I'm curious how it will sound when iv got the power tubes cooking,I'll probably have to dial it back quite a bit to just a slight boost or I may blow up my drummer, it's damn loud.

7. MrHuge

MrHuge Member

The Camel Toe could only run the Rhino into the Llama. The other option was switching between the two.
    Mr. Huge

8. udi9

udi9 Member

Always wondered about that. thanks for the explanation.
    I think the world is ready for a reissue ;)

9. Class5

Class5 Member

I'm loving the Pork Loin and the Swollen Pickle, but this has me intrigued. Would the Llama be a better low gain OD than the Loin?

10. RBfan

RBfan Member

Red llama is so underrated; I have the GGG version, easy-peasy build. I love it just by itself, rather than stacking, for 2 reasons. 1) very amp-like tone - I know this phrase is overused... It has depth & responds to picking dynamics like really nice OD's. 2) Those picking dynamics - hit it heavy, get a fuzzy tone; nice & light, it plays pretty clean, even with the drive knob up.

Sometimes when stacking you can lose those things, so I tend not to...

T

11. Bear Detective

Bear Detective Member

Haven't tried the loin so I don't know, but I do think the llama is a superb low gainer, but it's really got this ballsy quality to it, which is a good thing. Just on pure speculation I would say loin for light articulated lines, llama for ballsy riffs (even if almost clean).

The llama can be set at a point where it doesn't change the sound at all, then you can just turn it up a hair either in boost or gain.

Funny thing with mine though is even with the gain and volume down low I will get a bit of gain because I run a always on dyna comp that boosts the signal slightly and I guess that boost hitting the front of the llama causes a bit of breakup, without the comp though it's clean as a whistle.

12. Lullabies

Lullabies Member

I heard the Red Llama was alot like the EHX Hot Tubes...I loved the hot tubes it was like a cranked tweed amp in a pedal and stacked really well with other pedals for fuzz tones