NGD: 'Rescued Les Paul Studio'

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by unclespero, Jan 23, 2012.

1. unclespero

unclespero Member

So on cl today I saw an ad pop up for a worn cherry Les Paul studio that had suffered a pretty decent fall. Large gash of paint left on the tail from what it hit was visible in the picture and the pickup cover had thrown itself out a good bit. The seller seemed to indicate that someone with a screwdriver and some time would be able to put it right. I immediately suspected headstock/neck cracks as well.

The kicker was though he was selling it for $150 with what looked like a 'never left the house' gator hard case. For that money I planned on just stripping it out and using the parts in other projects I want to do this winter and keeping the case.

Met up with him and he clearly was under the impression that re-seating the pickup was the worst of the fixes to be done. He even still had string tension against the thrown pickup! As I suspected the neck was cracked at the top of the fretboard on both sides, but in a way that string tension kept the cracks fast. Still worth the $150 as I was planning on just taking the case, hardware and parts and essentially tossing the body away.

Right after I bought it I drove it by a shop I trust and they were extremely optimistic on fixing the neck for a fairly cheap price, especially as I didn't care about cosmetics. I decided to have them give it a try and after a little hardware and setup work on my part it should turn into a pretty decent knock-around.

Will post pics when it comes out of the shop.

2. Auriemma

Auriemma Member

Love a good rescue story! Good Luck with her!

3. b2sc

b2sc Member

We need to see before and after pics.