NGD: Rickenbacker 330, show me your Ricks!

Joshua Bernstein

Silver Supporting Member
After years of lusting after Rickenbackers, I finally sold of some pedals and a guitar I wasn't using and pulled the trigger on a used 330 in fireglo. It was made in 2002, and man did it exceed my expectations.

I'd never played a Rickenbacker before, but always loved their unique look and some of my favorite artists have played them at one time or another.

I was a bit concerned when I bought it because many people say they are a one trick pony and are hard to play.

I can see how having large fingers might make it difficult, but the string spacing honestly doesn't feel a whole lot different than my Gibson Sg Standard or my Jazzmaster. The frets may be a bit smaller but hardly noticeable to me. The laquer on the fretboard doesn't get in the way for me, but maybe those with heavier fretting technique might be slowed down by it.

To me, the overall feel and tone are both pretty much right between my Jazzmaster and sg which made it actually very easy to pick up and play. The tone is brighter than the sg, and darker than the jazzmaster, and the neck profile feels like a mashup of the 2.

I think people associate Ricks with one tone, but this guitar simply sounds fantastic with all the styles I've played with it. It sounds glorious clean, and the overdrive and fuzz tones are crazy good.

Anyway here it is, I'd love to see other people's Rickenbackers!

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
Happy NGD! :beer

Here is my 381:

I have a 360 and a few basses as well. My Ric bug started with the basses. I came close to buying one in my teens. And I really regret that decision looking back because the 4003 became a really important bass for me.

Some years after the 4003, I grabbed a 360. It took a while to warm up to TBH. I adapted to the neck and feel alright, but I learned I just wasn't a fan of the Hi Gain pickups. After I installed Toasters, I found myself reaching for the 360 often.

Grabbed another 4003 and loaded it with Toaster and Horseshoe.

And most recently I grabbed the 381.

Yeah, I like them. My Fenders and Gibsons don't do what the Rics do.

ultradust

Nicely played and congrats! A lot of us buy Rics a sight unseen, and many regret it along later on.

The rest of us have a good time wrestling them with every gig and session, and the tones sure do pay off.

Which reminds me (seeing your 330/6), Hi-gains understandable don't get love that is gushed on Toasters, but they do the explosively plunky side of jangle quite nicely! My 1986 360/12 fits in so well when it comes to sorts of styles, and I regularly use it to do shoegaze to pop, and of course the more folky stuff.

placebo62

Silver Supporting Member

Here is my 381:

I have a 360 and a few basses as well. My Ric bug started with the basses. I came close to buying one in my teens. And I really regret that decision looking back because the 4003 became a really important bass for me.

Some years after the 4003, I grabbed a 360. It took a while to warm up to TBH. I adapted to the neck and feel alright, but I learned I just wasn't a fan of the Hi Gain pickups. After I installed Toasters, I found myself reaching for the 360 often.

I have a 381 too, amazing guitars.

Joshua Bernstein

Silver Supporting Member

Here is my 381:

The first time I saw a Rick it was actually a 4003 fireglo in Sam Ash when I was probably 12-13, and I couldn't belive how cool it was! I later looked into the guitars but never had that kind of money. I have never heard the toasters in person, but I really like the sound of the high gains. Maybe in the future Ill see if I can find a set of toasters to try. That 381 sure is a beaut!

Nicely played and congrats! A lot of us buy Rics a sight unseen, and many regret it along later on.

The rest of us have a good time wrestling them with every gig and session, and the tones sure do pay off.

Which reminds me (seeing your 330/6), Hi-gains understandable don't get love that is gushed on Toasters, but they do the explosively plunky side of jangle quite nicely! My 1986 360/12 fits in so well when it comes to sorts of styles, and I regularly use it to do shoegaze to pop, and of course the more folky stuff.

Thank you! At some point I may go for a 360 like yours as well, i think they look awesome in jetglo! Thats some nice playing in that clip as well, great sounds!

Awesome Rickenbacker day !

After cycling through a bunch of hollow models - I recently got this one and love it to the moon and back:
Awesome day indeed! Interestingly I initially preordered a 620 in jetglo from Musicians Friend, but the ship date getting pushed back more and more for the Jetglo I wanted. I decided to look elsewhere and ended up coming across this 330. After mulling it over for a few days, I decided to go for the semi hollow, since I always like having one around and I actually sold my only semi to fund a Rick! Thats a beautiful 620, very lush sounding in that clip!

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
The first time I saw a Rick it was actually a 4003 fireglo in Sam Ash when I was probably 12-13, and I couldn't belive how cool it was! I later looked into the guitars but never had that kind of money. I have never heard the toasters in person, but I really like the sound of the high gains. Maybe in the future Ill see if I can find a set of toasters to try. That 381 sure is a beaut!
Thanks! Yeah, the 381 sounds absolutely huge. Louder, deeper and richer than my 360. 360 is still cool, though it is more midrangey.

Modern Toasters are more like a good Tele bridge pickup. They have fairly wide alnico rods and are kind of vintage-hot. Hi-Gains are constructed more like P90s. They are a bit darker and they hold up better than Toasters in high gain and high volume contexts. Partly because the Toasters are not potted. Hi-Gains are alright but (I find) Toasters have much more detail and character. Toasters are little lower in output but closer than I expected.

Although Toasters are quite popular, Hi-Gains definitely have a following too. Check Toasters out next chance you get and enjoy the 330 in the meantime.

carolinaeasy

Silver Supporting Member
Congratulations on a new Rickenbacker day!I just realized I don’t have any pictures of my Ricks, so I’m going to have to correct that. My two Ricks are a 2010s 330/6 in Jetglo and a 1986 360/12v64 in Fireglo. I obtained both through members of TGP and they are both beautiful guitars that have become keepers in my collection. Nothing does what a Rickenbacker can do, and like others have said they can also handle more than the jangle. I have gigged with the 330/6 many times and it holds up well as my standard tuned guitar (I play a Nocaster in open g for large portions of the show). I just recently got the 360/12 and it is quickly becoming my favorite guitar. I play the two Ricks in my AC15C1, Helix LT and Powercab, Fender ‘57 Champ reissue, and the surprisingly best sounding option: my Mojotone 5e3. When I play the 360/12 on the 5e3 cranked it makes such a beautiful sound.

Just a note for all the internet “facts” that people throw out there about Ricks. I have large hands, I played left tackle at a D1 school, so you can guess what my hands look like, and I have ZERO issues playing the 330/6. Now the 360/12 is still something I’m getting used to playing, but I think that is more of the fact that it is a the first 12 string I ever played at length. So if someone out there is thinking of getting a Rick but are afraid of the neck size, I would urge you to hunt down a model you are attracted to and give it a play and see for yourself.

Trending Topics