1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

NGD: Roger Giffin "Standard"...exceptional!!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by dougstrummer, Dec 30, 2017.

1. dougstrummer

dougstrummer Make a Joyful Noise. Silver Supporting Member

Well, I gambled and won...won seriously BIG! I've never seen any Giffin's out in the wild, there's very little info out there about them, but there's a decent amount of info out there about Roger Giffin (based upon my research). So based upon the extremely glowing reputation and history that Mr. Giffin has a luthier and all-round "great guy", and the materials used in this particular "Standard" (and I love the "Strat meets Les Paul" design which is even more evident than a PRS), I gambled and bought this from Distinctive Guitar (it arrived yesterday and Noah and Pete were excellent to deal with...many thanks, gentlemen!). And that's a premium Curly Redwood top, black limba body, and black limba and maple neck w/ indian rosewood fretboard...all in at 7 lbs 10 oz's.

I've got about 8 hours of playing with her now, and I am blown away with the quality, "feel", neck, sustain, tone(s), etc., etc....this is literally perfection. It's like a comfortable old friend that I've had for 30 years. I'm truly at a loss that there's not more out there about Giffin's "Standard" and other models? I assume it's because he does only put out limited quantity these days doing everything by hand (his web site indicates he's putting out maybe 1 to 2 guitars a month, and has only 3 dealers).

The only curve-ball hanging out there is that she's come with a pair of Arcane Ultratron pups, and they may not be as versatile as the Giffin "Standard" chasis is....and there's also little info out there about these particular Arcane's, as well. That being said, the first tune I played on her was "Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers" and it covered that very well, then played "Sultans of Swing" (to the best of my ability) and it sounded superb, and then dug up an old smooth jazz classic "Rio De Janeiro Blue" by Randy Crawford (kind of "Sade"-like if you're not familiar) and it pulled that off very nicely, so I just have to get used to the little-something different that these pups have (they're described as Filtertron blended w/ PAF....can't go wrong with that, right?).

At any rate, I don't use the word "perfection" with anything...ever (except for my wife, and I say that if by a long stretch she reads my post LOL!), but this Giffin has gotten there IMHO. There's nothing I would do different about the materials, specs, finish, scale, etc. as it's all sensational (hell, I even like the design of the headstock and I'm ultra picky about headstock's for some reason!)...just needing to spend a little more time w/ the Arcane's and probably tweak some settings on my Kemper since this will become my #1 gigger.

So my New Year's wish for all of my TGP buds is to do yourself a favor and try to get your hands on a Giffin to at least have it as a benchmark for your next quest...along with a Happy, Safe, Toneful, and Prosperous 2018!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Deven Patel

Deven Patel Lipe Guitars USA Gold Supporting Member

congrats. roger is a wonderful builder.

dougstrummer likes this.
  3. sidekick

sidekick Supporting Member

My understanding is that Roger Giffin is up there with the very best ... Seriously stunning looking guitar and doubtless is.

Play/enjoy in good health.

dougstrummer likes this.
  4. beorn

beorn Member

Ditto the above -- Giffin is about as top-shelf as it gets. And the wood used for a Giffin (as here) is often uncommon, just freakishly great-looking.

I'm with you on the headstock design. I also think that little bevel he puts into the back, to keep the edge from digging into your ribs, is artfully done. Only change I'd make is to double the knob count.

dougstrummer likes this.
  5. Baemer

Baemer Supporting Member

Beautiful, congrats! The Giffins I've played have all been seriously memorable as exceptional guitars. Enjoy!

dougstrummer likes this.
  6. Benz2112

Benz2112 Member

Saw this on Distinctive's social media the other day, and thought it was a stunner. You must have grabbed it right up. Very nice piece.

dougstrummer likes this.
  7. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

That there is downright delicious!

dougstrummer likes this.
  8. dougstrummer

#Benz2112....I did LOL!! I had seen it about 2 months ago and thought very hard about it (just loved the overall Strat/LP design), but then my ADHD kicked in and probably took me somewhere else. And then I saw their FB post this week and I thought "what was I thinking?...how'd I pass on that earlier!!". And thank you!

Benz2112 likes this.
  9. Madguitrst

Madguitrst Member

third stone from the sun, one step from the edge
    That is one absolutely, stunningly gorgeous guitar.
    Two of my favorite wood types and exceptional examples at that.
    The Limba is intense and the Redwood is so 3 dimensional.

Enjoy that beauty!

dougstrummer likes this.
  10. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Have long been an admirer of Roger Giffins work. Beautiful interpretation of the Gibson lineage of Ted McCarty and the wonderful mostly Dutch Luthiers of the late1950's!

dougstrummer likes this.
  11. Guitartim

Guitartim Member

Congratulations on scoring an absolutely gorgeous Giffin Standard!!
    He selects pickups based on the tonewood used in each guitar, from what I've learned. And Roger is a master of masters.
    Redwood is a relatively soft wood with typically a warm tone. Based on your mini-review I think you did good.
    Play it in good health.

dougstrummer likes this.
  12. 56Tweed

56Tweed Sub-Octave Member Silver Supporting Member

Looks amazing. Sounds like a great match; enjoy it!

dougstrummer likes this.
  13. dougstrummer

Many thanks, guys (and Happy New Year!)...still tweaking the pups and Kemper, but this guitars is a DREAM. I will be buying another as a backup.

14. mikealpine

mikealpine Gold Supporting Member

E. Northport, NY (Long Island, not Lawn Guyland)
    Wow, that's gorgeous! I just pulled the trigger on a Knaggs, but had I not, there's a used Giffin single-cut out there I'd have bought after reading about your guitar. Enjoy!!

15. Bogner

Bogner Member

Congrats on a great great guitar and an even greater builder. You did very well indeed! :)

dougstrummer likes this.
  16. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Never laid eyes on a Giffin before outside of the net.

Yours is a beauty with lots of attention to detail.

Congrats!

17. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Beautiful and a tone to match. Congrats!

18. Route234

Route234 Member

Rogers work is definitely up there with anyones. He is a master. Nice guitar!

19. guitargeek94

guitargeek94 the ORIGINAL guitar geek Silver Supporting Member

I did not need that GAS for this year. It looks AMAZING!

Thanks so much :mad::confused::confused::confused:

dougstrummer likes this.
  20. gtwannabe

gtwannabe Member

I've had my Giffin for a few months now and I'm still loving it! Congrats on your new Standard. I'd love to get a Standard one of these days as well.

dougstrummer likes this.