NGD - SA2200, and set up questions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kzin, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Kzin

Kzin Member

Got my new guitar, a yamaha sa2200. Just beautifull. Maybe the most gorgeous top I´ve seen. I´ll post some pics later. It came with 0,9s. Ridiculus low action, but works great. Frets are a little low though, but incredibly smooth.

I´ll be changing to elixirs 10-46 and be raising the action a little. Do I need to tighten the truss rod after that, and how do I know how much?

The tail piece is basicly all the way down. I suppose that works with 0,9s, but I´m pretty sure it will be way to stiff with 10-46 elixirs. Do I just raise it untill I like the feel, or is there some rule? On this guitar the bass and treble side of the tail piece are at the same height, but on gibsons the bass side is usaly higher then the treble side. Is there a reason for this?

2. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

Congrats! These guitars are wonderful.

3. Kzin

Kzin Member

Thanks =)

4. Kzin

Kzin Member

Tail piece height help, anyone? =/

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Put 10's on it and play it.

Fix the problems that occur. I like to set my Action with the neck. and use the Bridge for fine tuning. I would put the stings on t and see what i was dealing with.

6. Kzin

Kzin Member

Ok, thanks.

Do I set the tail piece after what feels best? Its almost flushed to the body with 09´s. Should I raise the bass and treble side the same amount?

7. Nada

Nada Member

congratulations on the guitar! no harm in adjusting the tailpiece up or down in increments until you find what works for you. have fun with it, experiment and dial it in the way you want it. nice!

8. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

I thought you had to send new guitars back to the factory if they don't play perfectly out of the box ....

Are is that only Gibsons? :sarcasm

congrats ... keep working with it you'll get it the way you want it eventually

sounds like a potentially great guitar .... play it and enjoy it

:banana

9. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

[​IMG]

10. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

The Gibson haters are always complaining about Gibsons not playing perfectly out of the box ... or after hanging in a GC for months on end

:bonk

11. Kzin

Kzin Member

Ok, thanks guys. I´ll just raise it untill I like the feel of it then.

Is there a reason to have the bass side higher than the treble side on the tailpiece?

12. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

As said above, Iw ould change the strings first and let it settle before making any adjustments. My guess is you may only need to make a slight truss rod adjustment.

13. Kzin

Kzin Member

What do you do when the ebony board gets dirty? Is lemmon oil ok?

14. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

A credit card works well.

15. mc2

mc2 Member

I'll echo many here.

Remove the strings, and clean the fretboard with naphtha if its dirty, otherwise use a very very damp cloth and wipe it down. Put the 10's on and you'll probably notice the change in the tension vs. 9's, but (speaking from experience) going 1 gauge didn't tip my apple cart. Let the guitar sit for a week and evaluate the playability.

tailpiece height should be experimented with a bit, and from what I've read and the little experience I had, there's no wrong way to do it. I probably wouldn't worry about it too much. Mine sits up a few ticks of an inch. I adjusted my bridge up so the bass and treble sides are almost equal, adjusted intonation and that was it for my needs/preferences.

turn some screws, learn a bit-you won't break the guitar. Just don't turn that truss nut more than 90 degrees/quarter turn at a time.

Great guitar-congrats!

16. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I screw the tailpiece all the way down and top wrap the strings

[​IMG]

Me and BFG are fans

17. ianb

ianb Member

I raise the tailpiece just enough so the strings don't touch the the back edge of the bridge.

18. Kzin

Kzin Member

I put on new strings, raised the tail piece two turns. I might eventualy lower it a little bit, but I like the feel now.