• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

NGD - Schecter C1 Platinum

I've been itching for a new guitar since the beginning of the year, but the stars never aligned just right. But they finally did this weekend, and couldn't resist my temptation.
I've been eyeing a new Schecter for some time now. Debating on a few different options. It was between an Omen Extreme and a C1 Platinum. I almost settled on the Extreme, but decided that I would kick myself if I didn't go for a set neck model.
I saw that GC had one of these (C1Platinum) in stock, on sale for a price I couldn't resist.
Drove straight there, found my favorite sales guy (Ernie) and grabbed it. Hadn't seen him since Covid started. I played it for maybe 2 minutes, inspected it over and up and down.
Said I'll take it.
I wanted a bit of an upgrade from my Omen 6, which is a great guitar and I can't fault it in any way,especially for the price. This is my first guitar with EMG's. I had no idea what they actually felt like to play. I think I'm sold on them though. Clean to chugging, they seem pretty darn versatile. This thing just plays and sounds so nice.
All I can say is that Schecter sure does give you a whole lotta guitar for the money. I'll put up some better pics of later today. For now I'm just stoked to have it and still enjoying that new guitar smell. :D

monty

Congrats! I hear ya on the versatility- I got my first EMG equipped guitar earlier this years and was surprised at how good they did cleans.

Thanks guys! Im still reeling everytime I even look at it, let alone play it.
I was always under the impression that EMG's were only good for high gain and metal. Man was I wrong, they definitely do good things when it comes to cleans. Not to mention the way they sound when I crank things up and the gain gets raunchy. ;)
I don't really know a lot about them, other than the fact that they are active and take a 9v to operate. These are 81/85's which I really don't much about. I know they make different models, but I don't know the differences.

FractalGarden

I also snagged one of those some months ago (the gray color). Mine now has a 60 in the neck and the 85 in the bridge. And yeah, amazing bang for the buck. I've been on a "buy cheap guitar" trend for a while now, and am frankly amazed at how much guitar you can get for the money.

HNGD!

I also snagged one of those some months ago (the gray color). Mine now has a 60 in the neck and the 85 in the bridge. And yeah, amazing bang for the buck. I've been on a "buy cheap guitar" trend for a while now, and am frankly amazed at how much guitar you can get for the money.

HNGD!
Thank you.. I almost went for the gray/black one. That was the hardest part of getting this. I was torn on which color to get. I would of been happy with either, but at the last second I told myself "get the blue one". I've owned several blue guitars over the years, and for some reason I think I'm supposed to play blue guitars. It's like some cosmic law that the universe placed on me.
Blue isn't even my favorite color (red is) but when it comes to guitars, the blue ones just draw me in. Soooooo stoked.
Want to play it all day today, but have family obligations so I won't get to touch it until the sun goes down tonight.

MESA/BUDDA

Thanks, I'm in love with it
Is the 85 in the neck position?
I only know that it has 81/85's. Which one is which?
Yes, the 85 is currently in the neck with the gold label. The mid-range is focused to the lower register, it's a thicker, chunkier sounding pickup and it's also hotter and more open sounding than the thinner more compressed 81.
The 85 is one of my top three all-time favorite humbuckers.

Well it's been a week now, and I've had some time to play it and get to know it.
I put new slinkies on it as as well as polished the frets and gave the fretboard a little guitar honey oil treatment.
This guitar is just ridiculous. If someone handed this to me with no knowledge of what it was, I would think this was a very expensive guitar. It pretty much plays itself and everything about it so smooth and we'll made.
The neck and fretboard are just about flawless. Something about the neck just feels so right, I can't really explain it, it's beyond comfortable in every way possible.
These normally sell for $600, how the hell does Schecter do it?
I don't see myself buying any other brand in the near future. I still love my Omen 6, but this is just on another level. A poor man's PRS in my view. I said I'd post better pics, here they are.

FractalGarden

What happens to the sound when you put the 85 in the bridge? Will there be drastic difference in how it sounds?
It's a matter of taste, of course, but yes, there will be a tonal improvement with the 85 in the bridge. The 81 in the neck doesn't do a thing for me, so I bought a used 60 for the neck, and it's immensely better, especially clean. The great thing about EMG pickups is that you can swap them out really easily.

Nice pics. And yeah, I agree. This model has specs and quality you'd never imagine for the price.

Next time I change strings and give it a good cleaning I'll try switching the pickup positions. To me it sounds great as it is, but If it will sound even better after switching them, I'll definitely give it a try.
The only thing I plan on changing on this guitar is the the pickup rings. I don't know if I'll be able to find what I'm after though. This guitar has flat/dull/satin like hardware, I'm not sure what the proper term for it is. But I'd love to find metal pickup rings with the same finish. Oh and toggle switch knob that also matches.

*Any ideas where I would go to find those parts would be greatly appreciated.

Other than that it's gonna stay stock.

Last edited:

PB26

Absurd price for what you're getting. I've got the Damien Elite-6, which is the bolt-on version of that guitar and it is just awesome. I've been looking at the C1-Platinum recently because it's just too good a deal not to jump on. Love that they are sticking to the mighty EMG 81 for that model, still eats every metal pickup for lunch IMO.

Jellymon

I love mine, I got the black one. They go on sale every holiday season for $450. Every time I go to the guitar store to “upgrade” I can’t find a better quality guitar for under $1000, so I just end up leaving with nothing, going home and playing my Schecter.

I love mine, I got the black one. They go on sale every holiday season for $450. Every time I go to the guitar store to “upgrade” I can’t find a better quality guitar for under $1000, so I just end up leaving with nothing, going home and playing my Schecter.
Nice. These are still in sale this month at GC for $449. You're right, for me there nothing else in this price range that fits my taste, budget, genre and style.
If I was going to spend $1,000 on a new guitar it would definitely be a Schecter. But there isn t that much difference between these and the next level up. You have to jump to the $1300+ range to really go to the next level.

Trending Topics