NGD shipping nightmare

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jeremy Palmer, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Jeremy Palmer

Jeremy Palmer Member

So a couple of days ago I found a deal on the 'bay for 2 epiphone SG's for $180. I love finding guitars that need a little TLC and restore them. The seller's pic wasn't the best, but I could tell the structural integrity was intact, so I pulled the trigger. The seller sent me an email saying he was sending the guitars off via Fedex but had to "cut down the box" to make the guitars fit. My alarm bells should have been ringing, but he was a nice guy with good communication so I hoped for the best. Welllll, the package showed up the other morning. The guy had cut down and taped two boxes together, and I could literally see the headstocks through the packing tape on the top. I opened the box up and guess what? He had wrapped each guitar in one layer of bubble wrap, with no packing whatsoever anywhere. There was an awesome headstock break on one, and on the other the guitar actually broke clean off at the heel. After some back and forth, he agreed to refund me $125, so I'm gonna repair them and give one of them to my nephew and try to sell the other. Question is, do you guys instruct your shippers on how to pack a guitar, or do you just assume guys know what they're doing and hope for the best?

2. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

Most here have to pack the guitar themselves and though some will skimp on the packaging I know when I have done it I will thoroughly bubble wrap and box even if the guitar is in a hard case or good gig bag..
    Two boxes together will work fine, as long at you overlap and securely join the two boxes with parcel tape or gaffa tape..

3. mach5

mach5 Member

Unfortunately, there's always a few guys that are actually like that.:peenut

4. Ashe

Ashe Senior Member

if i use paypal i'll usually be backed if they do something stupid so i don't worry too much. plus usually when something goes bad i don't have to return the broken item so i get refunded for the amount and then just repair and sell the guitars for profit.

5. nealpolitan

nealpolitan Member

A few years ago, I won a closet special Peavey t-60 on ebay. Still had all the case candy in the original hard shell case and original strings. The guy selling it said he didn't know anything about it or guitars. It was a relatives or somesuch.

When I won the auction, I was a little concerned about how he'd pack/send it since he was only charging like $10 for shipping... I sent an email going into some detail on properly packing a guitar. Got a reply of, "OK, will do!"

A week later it showed up having gone parcel post. His only packing was to tape the entire hardshell case with brown packing tape. No padding other than what was in the case. Luckily the T-60s and their original "chainsaw" cases are well nigh indestructible and it made it through without a scratch.

Ever since, I lay off on telling people what to do and just hope it turns out OK. Seems to have worked so far.

6. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

Only a partial refund for an Epic packing fail like that?

[​IMG]

7. Clump

Clump Member

Maybe it's an SG on ebay thing. Here's how mine came packed. Amazingly it made it intact from CA to MD!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. dysorexia

dysorexia Senior Member

9. nealpolitan

nealpolitan Member

to think somebody looked at that and said, "I think that's good!" and then proceeded to ship it across a continent. Awesome.

10. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Man, so many people think crushed newspaper is the shiz...that or styrofoam noodles.