NGD: Silvertone 1483

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TheWayfarer84, Feb 18, 2012.

1. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Supporting Member

Just picked up a 1966 silvertone 1483. All original - down to the tubes! I swapped the 6L6's for some Tung-Sol 6V6's (the amp only has about 350V on the plates). Sounds amazing! I'm kinda torn though, I planned on selling my tone stack modded 1482 to cover the cost of the 1483, but it's got that dirty grunt that I can't seem to coax out of the 1483. Might just have to keep it around and consider it the start of a collection. Oh well, if not that's what they make fuzz pedals for. I've been itching for a Hoof too...:banana

[​IMG]

2. Prof.Fuzz

Prof.Fuzz Supporting Member

Damn, that's nice.
    Happy new Silvertone Day!

I love my 1481 and 1482.

3. Ros

Ros Silver Supporting Member

Nice! Now you need a 1484 to complete the set! ;)

-R.

4. Prof.Fuzz

Prof.Fuzz Supporting Member

And a 1481--the ultimate tweed Champ killer.

5. Tread

Tread Member

6. LPVM

LPVM Member

Did you get that with the cab too? Congrats on your new/old Silvertone!
    I absolutely love my 1482. I considered selling mine when I first got it because it is a closet treasure and even came with it's origianl box. It seemed as if it really hadn't ever been used. I figured I could flip it for 2X - 3X what I paid for it but once I got some playing time on it I realized I could never give it up. It just might be my favorite amp I've ever owned. It's clean tones are crisp & jangly and it's overdriven tones are really something special. I get the best tone ever out of my 1482 with a OD pedal set with it's volume up 75%+ and the drive on zero. I bet your 1483 will provide Crunch-O-Plenty if you boost it with a OD set like that.

All original RCA glass in mine too and those babies sing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  7. Alvis

Alvis Member

Congratulations
    One of the wisest amp buys one could make
    Long before this was Jack White's world , I purchased three 1483s for 70 bucks apiece.They really saved my burro. To think ,I was about to spend 1500 on an 18w Marshall (about what the orig ones were goin for at the time)
    They sound even better when you mate 'em with a GOOD cabinet ,in my case a Marshall 1965. I turned REM on to 1483s and they had a small vox style 2x12 w/tone tubbies....sweet

1483 dont need no od pedal, jump the channels & crank 'em ,aural nirvana

8. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Supporting Member

Has anyone tried these with anything other than the 1x15? Yes, the bass response is killer, but bass isn't really what makes or breaks an amp for me. I'm actually running the bass knob at about .5 right now. How would a 1x12 (easy mod since the baffle is cut at 12" already) or 2x10 (harder mod requiring making a new baffle) sound? either way, I would definitely keep the original around if I ever decide to resell.

Also, does anyone know if these have a multi tap OT like the 1482? I came across a thread saying that if you go from 6L6 to 6v6 tubes, you should switch to a 4 ohm tap (even though it's an 8ohm speaker).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  9. Alvis

Alvis Member

Yeah,see my post above

& I dont believe the 1483 has a 4 ohm tap ,far as I can remember

10. blake480

blake480 Member

One of my favorite amps of all time. Love it.

11. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

I never understood the appeal for "all orginal tubes" in a vintage amp. Aren't the power tubes supposed to be replaced every 5 years or so? Those tubes are close to 50 years old. How is this a good thing? I don't really know but it seems to be that people are all over the map with opinions on this one.

BTW if you are looking for "Silvertone" labled 6V6 tubes I might have a few on hand from my stash. They aren't "NOS" but they work fine and it doesn't seem to matter to you. PM me if interested.

12. soulohio

soulohio Member

if somebody is giving away NOS glass, i want on that list...