NGD Slick Tele has arrived!

singlecutarmy

First impressions:
Came out of the box with high action and rough fret tops. I taped the fretboard and took steel wool to all the frets, then tightened the truss rod and dropped the bridge a smidge. Might need a little more relief, got some buzzing.

Otherwise, it feels solid, fret ends are not sharp, the edges are a bit rolled, tuning is fairly stable except the high B and E when I did a lot of bending, but could just be stretching the new strings. Some people complained the necks can be rough but to me it's quite a smooth satin, I have delicate hands and wouldn't complain about it.

It's my first tele so tone wise I'm still adjusting. It's very weak for what I'm used to considering I typically play fishmans and high output passives, the lowest I go is usually P90s. I'm also used to 24.75" scale length so some of the runs in the last sample I struggled with the 3-5-7 stretch because I'm used to everything being closer. When people say Teles make you an honest player this is no exception, if I'm not dead on the fret there's no saving the note unlike with my strandberg.

It's on the hefty side, but not as heavy as my epiphone les paul customs.

The neck carve resembles something you might find on a Charvel. It's thin but rounded, not flat.

The fretboard is a really nice color but I suspect it's dyed as my fingers are now stained.

Overall for the $250 price tag, I'd say it's a slam dunk and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone that has steel wool and basic knowledge of setup.

Here's some sound clips, go easy on me, I play maybe a couple hours a week because of work, and usually I practice a single passage of a song for a month and suck at everything else. I'm pretty much a metal player and have a library of like 3 clean licks all of which I suck at.

Played through Marshall DSL1.

Cleans, bridge and neck ( I think you can tell which is which) recorded direct into cellphone mic

Dirty: SD-1 into Friedman BE-OD into DSL1 clean recorded with cellphone mic

Cleans recorded into zoom h1n room mic

Dirty recorded into zoom h1n room mic. SD-1 then a $35 Amazon distortion pedal.

Last edited:
First impressions:
Came out of the box with high action and rough fret tops. I taped the fretboard and took steel wool to all the frets, then tightened the truss rod and dropped the bridge a smidge. Might need a little more relief, got some buzzing.

Otherwise, it feels solid, fret ends are not sharp, the edges are a bit rolled, tuning is fairly stable except the high B and E when I did a lot of bending, but could just be stretching the new strings. Some people complained the necks can be rough but to me it's quite a smooth satin, I have delicate hands and wouldn't complain about it.

It's my first tele so tone wise I'm still adjusting. It's very weak for what I'm used to considering I typically play fishmans and high output passives, the lowest I go is usually P90s. I'm also used to 24.75" scale length so some of the runs in the last sample I struggled with the 3-5-7 stretch because I'm used to everything being closer. When people say Teles make you an honest player this is no exception, if I'm not dead on the fret there's no saving the note unlike with my strandberg.

It's on the hefty side, but not as heavy as my epiphone les paul customs.

The neck carve resembles something you might find on a Charvel. It's thin but rounded, not flat.

The fretboard is a really nice color but I suspect it's dyed as my fingers are now stained.

Overall for the $250 price tag, I'd say it's a slam dunk and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone that has steel wool and basic knowledge of setup.

Here's some sound clips, go easy on me, I play maybe a couple hours a week because of work, and usually I practice a single passage of a song for a month and suck at everything else. I'm pretty much a metal player and have a library of like 3 clean licks all of which I suck at.

Played through Marshall DSL1.

Cleans, bridge and neck ( I think you can tell which is which) recorded direct into cellphone mic

Dirty: SD-1 into Friedman BE-OD into DSL1 clean recorded with cellphone mic

Cleans recorded into zoom h1n room mic

Dirty recorded into zoom h1n room mic. SD-1 then a $35 Amazon distortion pedal.

Glad you like it .. I've had my eye on them for a while .. I just wanted more information before I pull the trigger myself .. Very cool .. I am much closer to getting one now .. Good luck .. TY for sharing .. Enjoy

singlecutarmy

Glad you like it .. I've had my eye on them for a while .. I just wanted more information before I pull the trigger myself .. Very cool .. I am much closer to getting one now .. Good luck .. TY for sharing .. Enjoy
All I can say is, I expected it was going to be worse, and still was okay with that level of expectation.

Relative to its price, it has very few actual flaws. I've played gibson fadeds with worse necks. I was on edge because some of the negative reviews about frets, tuners, weight, etc. and none of them really manifested in this one. I would compare it against MIM fenders, they save a lot of money by just giving you a cheap paint job, which I actually prefer.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
What irks me about Jay and Guitarfetish is that they say in the copy of their guitars that they all come perfectly set up, perfect frets ect ect.... I’ve had a few and it just wasn’t the case at all....
One guitar had a twisted neck out of the box. I returned it and had to pay for $40 in return shipping fees plus the shipping to me. Out $80...never again....

All I can say is, I expected it was going to be worse, and still was okay with that level of expectation.

Relative to its price, it has very few actual flaws. I've played gibson fadeds with worse necks. I was on edge because some of the negative reviews about frets, tuners, weight, etc. and none of them really manifested in this one. I would compare it against MIM fenders, they save a lot of money by just giving you a cheap paint job, which I actually prefer.
Ah .. Comparable to the MIMs .. Sweeet! .. Actually, i like that minimalist finish .. It's what i would prefer .. Good for you, man .. You gotta fun guitar at a fair price .. The Wilkinson hardware is quite good .. Unless that's a cheaper iteration - and i doubt that it is - it's a solid player .. Tell me .. How do you like the lipstick p'up in the neck? Theyre low input .. lots of people curse them but I've always enjoyed them because they offer me something that other pickups just don't and I like having something like that in my toolbox

singlecutarmy

Ah .. Comparable to the MIMs .. Sweeet! .. Actually, i like that minimalist finish .. It's what i would prefer .. Good for you, man .. You gotta fun guitar at a fair price .. The Wilkinson hardware is quite good .. Unless that's a cheaper iteration - and i doubt that it is - it's a solid player .. Tell me .. How do you like the lipstick p'up in the neck? Theyre low input .. lots of people curse them but I've always enjoyed them because they offer me something that other pickups just don't and I like having something like that in my toolbox
It's pretty sounding but a bit on the weak side, I need to raise it but it's direct-mounted so I'm not sure how.

orourke

Silver Supporting Member
Low output pickups have a shimmer and chime that you can’t get with higher output pickups. I think it’s good to have that in your collection.

with the longer neck scale it might be worth tuning it down a step to D, I bet it would sound beautiful.

Steely Dave

What irks me about Jay and Guitarfetish is that they say in the copy of their guitars that they all come perfectly set up, perfect frets ect ect.... I’ve had a few and it just wasn’t the case at all....
One guitar had a twisted neck out of the box. I returned it and had to pay for $40 in return shipping fees plus the shipping to me. Out $80...never again....
Yeah, that dude is a tool. I ordered a body from GFS once and it came pretty beat up. His reply was “what do you expect for that kind of money?” Um, I expect it to look like the pics on your site. GFS stuff is trash, regardless of what some people want to think.

Reactions: Rod

singlecutarmy

Yeah, that dude is a tool. I ordered a body from GFS once and it came pretty beat up. His reply was “what do you expect for that kind of money?” Um, I expect it to look like the pics on your site. GFS stuff is trash, regardless of what some people want to think.
I've been really tempted by their pickups a few times but the reviews are so mixed I always end up going seymour duncan. Like I'm tempted to get a gold set of mean 90s for my les paul because the only thing close is a phat cat which is alnico 2 vs. 5. I don't think SD or Dimarzio offer a humbucker sized P90 in gold except the phat cat, so I'd have to pay more for a bareknuckle or something.

I'm 100% sure I COULD get a GFS pickup that sounds great, but I feel like it's just as likely I could get a turd, whereas if I order something from a bigger brand, I know 100% I'm going to get something good every time.

And if they have an attitude of "Well if it sucks what did you expect?" then that's not exactly reassuring when DiMarzio will be like "If you don't like it, you have 30 days to exchange it for one you will."

The guitar was a bit different because it's probably the only tele under $500 that not only interests me but looks good to me, and the only ones that really interest me are over $1k, and I don't even know if I like teles lol. If I were to ever get a super premium tele I'd literally want it to look like this but just be lighter with stainless frets and a traditional bridge and no "Slick" logo.

JJFlash

I bought the other Slick tele a few years ago, pretty solid for the most part. I play it almost every day. I did eventually swap out the neck though.

Trending Topics