NGD: So I just stole this guitar (OLP content)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bricel24, Apr 8, 2015.

1. bricel24

bricel24 Supporting Member

Figuratively speaking.

I have never been really a fan of EBMM guitars let alone their import lines -- OLP and Sterling -- even though I know they are great guitars, or so I've heard.

Today I hit up a local pawnshop while on a business trip out of town which is what I normally do and try to find deals. This OLP guitar (MM4 model?) Was hanging on the wall with the price tag that I had to do a double take looking at. I tried it out, plugged it in to a Fender Princeton Chorus they had, and I had to tell myself it was just a steal for a price hard to pass up. It was setup OK, in tune and would not go out of no matter how I played it, action was right, and it felt great overall.

Foolishly I made an offer to take $15 less than the tag.... which they gladly accepted. I am a happy camper with another successful pawnshop find.

Any other OLP/Sterling fans here?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. custom53

custom53 Member

I have played a Sterling AX40 and it was one of the best imports I have ever played.. And I am comparing it to the USA version's of the Silhouette, the Axis and the EVH that I personally own..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  3. Another Noob

Another Noob Member

I've got three Sterlings. An AX30D, Silo 30D and a AX3. I modded the Silo with a MM SSS loaded pickguard which went on really easy, just took a little filing to get the screw holes to line up.

For my novice playing level they work just fine. I think the 30D's are a little heavy but the tech I took them to for a once over seemed impressed with the build quality and felt they were a great value especially since I bought them all used.

I really like the quilt on the AX30D.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(The plastic is still on the SSS pickguard so it looks a little jacked up around the trem but it's much straighter than it seems. lol)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  4. bricel24

bricel24 Supporting Member

Nice collection!

5. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

I bought the EVH style for my son many years ago for XMas.
    It had a beautiful PICTURE of Flame Maple on top.

(The thing was actually very solid!)