NGD: Sold my R9 and got a Standard instead!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fuzzface71, Jan 30, 2016.

1. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Supporting Member

As much as I love my R9, it's just way too rich for my blood. I found a Standard that I fell in love with and I'm happier that I now have more of a work-horse than a sportscar. More than half the price, but not half in quality and tone!

To be honest tone-wise and feel-wise, I don't feel/hear a huge difference. I know they are a bit different, the R9 burstbucker and the standard (I was told 57's, but I have doubts, still need to open it).

My R9 (2006)

[​IMG]

Standard (2005)

[​IMG]

**Update after more than a year owning the guitar. I am still in love!
    Upgraded the plastics, hardware, caps . I honestly love this guitar than my old R9. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  2. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Which felt more comfortable neck wise?

3. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

Those are both beautiful guitars. I'm glad you're happy with the new one!

ef_in_fla and 55 Jr like this.
  4. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member

I did the same thing. Took back an R7 and kept an SG.

5. Classic09

Classic09 Member

It's easy to be elitist or a snob about gear but ultimately it's about having the gear that does what you need. Some high end and boutique gear can be too clinical.

David Fry likes this.
  6. Birchi

Birchi Member

Nice, I really like the top on your standard.

slider and Nickstrtcstr like this.
  7. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Supporting Member

They are both great for me, but I guess the Standard has a 60's neck since it's a bit slimmer and fast.

8. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Supporting Member

Yeah...I think we're really splitting hairs on a lot of this stuff.

9. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I wish the standards weren't weight relieved. I don't like the idea of all of those holes beneath the maple cap.

Gasp100 likes this.
  10. megaboogie

megaboogie Supporting Member

I'd never sell my R8, but you gotta do what makes you happy. I also own a Gibson USA LP which I'd never sell. Enjoy it!

11. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Great looking Std!!!! Love the color/finish.

12. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Congrats!! I like the look of the '05 myself. I know the playability and tone are supposed to make a difference, but if the difference isn't there between the 2, then you came out great.

I don't own a 'R9 etc........, and most likely never will, unless I find one for about $1500 or so.

I have played a few at GC in Houston. About 2 yrs. ago, I was at GC at the end of '14, and they were trying to move the Historic Reissues out.

I looked at a few, and the salesman said he'd make me a deal on a '14 R9 for $4200 + tax.

I tried out the guitar and it wouldn't stay in tune at all. The tone was Meh, and the playability was ok and nothing special.

Since then, I have no desire to hunt down any R9 or the like.

I'm very happy with my recent '89 Gibson LP Standard I picked up for $1074 last Feb. It looks,sounds and plays awesome, and I didn't have to pay $4K-$5K for it.

13. mcarte07

mcarte07 Supporting Member

I see the difference, but what tuners does your Standard have? They look vintage/GREAT. I think the face of the Standard looks significantly nicer

14. doesitmatter

doesitmatter Member

They're both nice guitars but what made you part with the R9? I imagine no one would know at a gig how expensive your guitar is and if it plays and sounds great why not keep it?

15. TCMx3

TCMx3 Supporting Member

I wouldnt judge tuning at a GC.

I think you really need to go through a set of strings from fresh to dead & have a guitar set up to play the way you like to really properly judge. Some shops tend to be OK. The GC around where I live or the one that used to be 15 minutes from my house in TN? Absolutely not. They didnt actually set the guitars up AT ALL at that TN location back when I shopped there, so if it came great from the factory you played a great playing guitar and if it didn't well too bad. And no, Gibsons do not always come perfect out of the box although with the plek machines these days they do tend to be better. My current one came with insanely low action and while the guitar could support it that's not really my style.

4200 for an R9 seems fair to me. That's what they go for used. You could have bought the guitar and resold it later and you'd probably have put 200 or 300 into it. Over 5 or 6 years of ownership that's nothing.

It may seem silly but the resale of these expensive guitars as well as the headroom in case you need to raise emergency funds is a benefit.

Anyway nice guitar OP enjoy it. If it were me, I'd grab an RS harness and call it a day.

fishleehooker likes this.
  16. texstrat

texstrat Member

I'm glad you are happy. LP Standards are good guitars! Personally, I just can't get myself to enjoy a LP Standard or Traditional after playing the Gibson Historic LP's. I kind of wish I never picked one up. But I did. Oh well.

Enjoy!!!

17. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Silver Supporting Member

Absolutely nothing wrong with a standard. My favorite and #1 workhorse is an early 2000's standard with a big R9/8 style neck.Somewhat of an anomaly I guess but I bought it cheap and love it. I have played a few R9's, pricey yes,better feeling and fit, no.

18. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Congrats OP.
    Your Standard looks great.

I've owned 10 Historic Standards. R4s through R0s. All were fine instruments.
    My current '01 Standard with Seth Lovers, steel studs and aluminum TP is amazing.
    It sounds more like the many 50's LPs I've played than any of my historics did. Strange but, true.

19. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Congrats on your new LP! I dig my R9 a great deal, but I like Standards, and I really like black Customs. :)

If it makes you want to play, it's a great guitar, period.

20. marshall2553

marshall2553 Supporting Member

Congrats! I went from an R8 to a Traditional a few years ago and couldn't be happier. It's a great LP that sounds awesome, feels better in my hands and I don't freak out if I put a ding on it. I now have several factory Gibsons that I love.