• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

NGD Steinberger GT-Pro Deluxe (Pic added)

Dale

Old age is catching up to me. I will be traveling some the next few months and I did not want to do the flight case thing, or risk much in the way of a gate check. So I picked one of these (white) up. I did so sight unseen as I live where I have never, ever seen one anywhere.

It arrived and it actually smaller than I imagined. The neck is 1 5/8 with a 25 1/2 scale. They advertise medium jumbo but it is closer to vintage. For the price fit and finish are nice. The action was a bit high. I used their block system to deck the trem and set the action and intonation. One screws for the height adjuster on one saddle was funky but workable.

The frets were very level though not polished as one might expect. Much like an Epi or ESP in that regard. Build quality seems pretty good.

The pickups are not as bad as I would have expected. The single in the middle is pretty weak. I could drop a set of nicer pickups in but as this is really mostly a travel unit I am not sure yet. The middle wold be a bit of a pain as well.I will post some pic in the next day or so. As I play it abit I will update. My initial impression is very positive.

Last edited:

lennokez

Gold Supporting Member
Great travel guitar. I got a cheap Steinberger for that purpose.
Has lace sensors and a J-Custom fixed bridge. Sounds fine.
I take it as carry on luggage in its soft case.
How good is that flip-out leg rest.
Get the nut clamp so you don't have to source double ball end strings. That's the go.

geekocaster

I actually really like the gt-pro-deluxe. While the pickups are very low output, they are very quiet (not a lot of white noise)

I had a 'synapse' that cost a lot more, but didn't sound very good IMHO. I should have kept the cheaper spirit and upgraded the pups. My only real issue was the tremolo, if you dive bomb the saddles move since they are just being held down by friction of the string. But that tremolo float lock is handy.

Any problem finding double-ball strings?

Dale

I have not looked really but they seem to be available online. About $12 a set. the adapter is about $39 it appears. I have not decided what I will do as I do not really break strings much. At the office I can't really do much now though.

Bill McDowell

Gold Supporting Member
thought I'd pass this on to you (have owned a Steinberger guitar since the early 90s).

just found this site the other day - thought it would be helpful to you for strings and parts - seems like they have a couple of Steinberger ex employees working there:

http://www.headlessusa.com

I believe they sell strings on e-bay as well - more in the $9 range.

Congrats and good luck

Be.eM

seems like they have a couple of Steinberger ex employees working there:
Jeff Babicz does the work on the guitars. ONE ex employee, but a good one. And he's not an employee of headlessusa, but a contractor. Still doing his own business too.

I believe they sell strings on e-bay as well - more in the $9 range.
Yes, a good source. Just make sure you don't buy the calibrated strings (STPxxx for the TransTrem), as you might get a problem with the string length on some strings. Use the S942, S1042 or S1046 sets, these are all uncalibrated and work well on your R-Trem.

Be.eM

Yep, like on his website exclusively calibrated TT strings, at least the listed ones. That's why I told Dale to look for the non calibrated ones, before he buys them and then rants that some strings are too short :)

Dale

I have yet to get some pictures, but will soon. I spent time today playing it. I usually play LP's. Strats, Jags and similar. It hangs a lot like an SG to me. So it took a bit of getting used to for me. It was not bad though. The fretwire is the standard lower profile (to me) wired used my many of the eastern builders. It is much smaller than I am comfortable with and find a bit annoying. As such this will not likely become one of my regular players, but it is decent and acceptable to me for a "plane" guitar. It sits well in my lap sitting down and the body works with the type of chairs used by most Hyatt, Embassy, Hilton, etc. hotels. The pickups are pretty low output, but that is better for me than the other direction. The volume knob is in the way a bit for my usual playing style which resulted in my continually turning it down inadvertently as I played. The pickups are fine for clean to lower gain sounds to me. I did not go higher gain at all. Compared to other "travel" guitars it seems better built, less expensive and more versatile. the travel bag would not survive any traditional baggage but I think if I was forced to gate check it would probably be fine.

As a plane guitar it gets a 7-8 out of ten for me. The fret wire and volume knob keep it from bing higher for me. The change of fret wire would have moved it to an easy 8. The volume control could be taken care of with a lower profile knob, or even rewiring it to a volume only where the tone knob is located. It looks very nice and certain attracted attention while I was playing out front watching the kids today.

Dale

Stein and I will head to St Louis next week for three days. Picture as promised ...

rjpilot

Hey I just got a steinberger gt-pro as well. I love the thing. I think I need new pickups though. The Humbucker is passable but the two single coils are just lifeless to me. That is my opinion of course. I have an sh-11(custom custom), and two stk-s4(classic stacks) on the way.

I'm having a small issue with mine though now after a month of playing it..
The zero fret has developed small divots where the string sits and any time I bend I get that pingy sound of the string popping out of its divot. I'm going to take it to a tech to install the new pickups and have him take a look at the zero fret and see if he/she can't buff it smooth once again but after thats done I want to keep it from occurring again. I don't really want to put in a new SS zero fret. What do you guys think?

Since we are sharing...

Last edited:

rjpilot

I actually really like the gt-pro-deluxe. While the pickups are very low output, they are very quiet (not a lot of white noise)

I had a 'synapse' that cost a lot more, but didn't sound very good IMHO. I should have kept the cheaper spirit and upgraded the pups. My only real issue was the tremolo, if you dive bomb the saddles move since they are just being held down by friction of the string. But that tremolo float lock is handy.

Any problem finding double-ball strings?
D'addario carries double ball in 9 and 10 gauge. Sweetwater or MF has them in stock.

The saddles are locked on the side of the trem. There is a small allen key on the top of the trem. (If you are playing the guitar standing up, the key to lock the saddles in place is pointing at the ceiling..if that makes any sense) I can't blame anyone for not knowing that as the manual that it comes with isn't even for that guitar. The manual you get is for a synapse iirc and it has a hardtail.

Dale

I spent a few more hours with it playing. I think the lower than I like fret wire will work out for me. I think the longer scale (25.5) and 10's it comes with are part of the transition for me. The 14" fretboard is also a bit more that I typically play and it throws me a bit when doing arpeggio type playing with a pick on a 14" Carvin I own as well.

The lower output pickups will get substituted for Dz 36's or Seth lovers as that is more my thing. These require a bit more gain to get to the edge where I typically play, and have less bass than I am used to as well. It is a very nice travel gutiar though I have little doubt it will serve well for a long time.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom