NGD: Suhr Aura (It's here and it's glorious)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by CaliCaveMan, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Nope, solid

atquinn, shadow mask and Radar like this.
  2. BarneyFife

BarneyFife Member

3. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs

Depends on what your wife wears on that trip. Tropical Island... Mrs. DTR in a bikini.... those mental images last a lifetime. :aok Now, if she only takes a one piece, I'll take the guitar. :crazyguy

4. griggsterr

griggsterr Supporting Member

Which I think PRS has done for well over 20 years. Just sayin :)

5. griggsterr

Everything they make is top notch. I have never had better customer service from a company.

6. Fat tone79

Fat tone79 Supporting Member

Wow that top is gorgeous. Enjoy it! Suhr guitars and service are the best.

jbd3 and CaliCaveMan like this.
  7. jbd3

jbd3 Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear Silver Supporting Member

They certainly do--I've got a McCarty wraptail that's wonderful! But I much prefer the looks of the Collings, as I tend to be more of a traditionalist. The PRS wraptails (Hubers, too) work very well, but I like how the Collings doesn't have the obvious intonation compensation, yet intonate great anyway. And the Collings style, in my unscientific experience, seem more resonant.

8. sinasl1

sinasl1 Supporting Member

Glad you're digging that fine guitar and glad you like the pickups! :) Play on!!!

CaliCaveMan likes this.
  9. CaliCaveMan

CaliCaveMan Supporting Member

YEAH PETE! Absolutely! Can't wait to hear you throw down with one at some point! Obviously, your sig guitar is killer too. Rock stars in the house!!

10. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

I've been curious about how the Aura would sound compared to a good Les Paul Historic. Two design differences make this an interesting question: one, the use of different body and neck woods, and two, the slightly longer scale length. Pickups can be easily changed, so they're not really a factor. Obviously the answers to these questions were known at Suhr, their design choices went into production, and Bob's your uncle. I look forward to a YouTube video with both instruments playing the same music through the same amp. Frankly, I hope the Aura is not an LP killer, it's very expensive and I don't want to buy one so I could play it anytime I wanted. ;)

11. Snail

Snail Member

Damn fine looking guitar!

Probably the only thing I’d give up my R9 for...

CaliCaveMan likes this.
  12. James_E

James_E Supporting Member

PSA: cosmomusic.ca has 2 of these. One gold-top and they JUST got in #24, a crazy burst. I saw it yesterday... insane. And so light! The burst isn't on their website yet. The gold is.

CaliCaveMan likes this.
  13. griggsterr

I get that, we all have our little things that we like. I'm not big on tradition more on what works well. but there are certain things that I want to be a certain way. However I was thinking as I drove my car to my first work appointment yesterday I sure wish I could find a Parker Fly nite fly that wasn't more than 2k. There was a time when I wouldn't have remotely owned one.

jbd3 likes this.
  14. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

One fundamental quality of this, and very, very few other, guitars is the intent to do everything to the maximum degree of design, materials, and most of all, execution. For the Aura, having a builder whose knowledge, capability, and -- far from least -- commitment is unexcelled makes the product of this enterprise majestic. IMO, this kind of guitar-making helps drive the entire guitar-making world forward for everyone. Even the many producers who essentially employ robots feel the influence and are impelled to raise standards rather than cutting corners for greater profit. I am a painter, and in my world -- art -- the true artists are always looking not for shortcuts, but for ever more challenging work to undertake. Truly expensive guitars sometimes make my head spin (though I own three!) but when I stop to really pay attention to what they are, I no longer view them as fancy versions of anything, but as the inspiring leading edge of the art and profession.

willyboy and CaliCaveMan like this.
  15. CaliCaveMan

Well said...

In the aftermath of gauking at the beauty, this piece of art is already feeling like a tool for music creation. I was able to spend an hour playing to backing tracks experimenting with clean tones and blends with tone controls etc...

This thing performs like a champion. It is doing everything one could ask for in my opinion. I noticed that extra cut in the back at the neck body spot really creates even better access. I don’t know of that is why it’s there or not but it feels great.

You get your cake and eat it too with these. Can’t wait to see the others coming...

16. MattC

MattC Member

Congrats on the beautiful new axe. Your enthusiasm made my day.

CaliCaveMan likes this.
  17. finnster

finnster Member

Congrats! Let’s see the gut shots! Most guys ask for amp gut shots but this deserves a peak into the cavity......what say you?

CaliCaveMan likes this.
  18. CaliCaveMan

You mean like under the pickups, or the electronics or both I guess?

You can check out John's Instagram and there's a gorgeous cherry burst he's working on with pics without pickups he just posted the other day. The top on that thing is insanely good. #19

19. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

Yeah, man! Tear it apart for us. You’ve had it a couple of days, gotta be time to change something! :anon

(Actually, I would also enjoy some gut pics. Just be careful!!!)

20. BradleyCB

BradleyCB Gold Supporting Member

Sadly, I checked with Humbucker. Both pre-orders have been reserved. I reached out to Suhr to try to get a list of other dealers lucky enough to get these in the US.

CaliCaveMan likes this.