• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

NGD: Suhr Custom JM Killer!

CaliCaveMan

Gold Supporting Member
My custom JM has arrived and it's absolutely what I was looking for!

Some of you may know I have a Thornley sig hard tail and that guitar is wonderful (bought from @Last Nerve, what up Chris!) . The only thing for me is I love using a trem and really wanted the same guitar, but add a trem (especially the new Wilkinson locking trem). I know there is a Thornley version with a trem, but I wanted to take it a step further and do a custom.

The specs on this guitar are the Thornley electronics (SSH+, V70 middle, SSV neck), but the push/push pots are there instead of the switches for splitting the coils on the humbuckers. I have a vintage 60's standard roasted birdseye neck (one piece) 10-14" radius with jumbo SS frets. The body is also roasted as per the Thornley spec. The color is a very refreshing ice metallic blue along with the mother of pearl face dots which looks elegant but not over blingish to my eyes.

Man does this thing ring! I can get into feedback so easily with this guitar and the tone is a bit brighter than the Thornley sig per the one piece roasted neck. This is exactly what I was looking for. It's pretty much the Cadillac guitar for me as I can bring this one guitar pretty much to do whatever.

I'm so thankful for the Suhr brand and team building dream guitars for all of us. This guitar is a joy to play and is already proving it can be a work horse. I've been playing it everyday now for a week and love the tone. This isn't anything new for Suhr though really. Their guitars are exceptional and this one continues the tradition. Thanks for all you do @Husky and Suhr team!

Last edited:

brobar

Congrats! Love my off the shelf JM (with S90s) almost as much as my custom order Classic T. I agree with the sentiment of Suhr building dream guitars (both off the shelf and custom).

I would argue anyone wanting a Suhr, if they are gonna buy new and they have any patience, should custom order one to their specs. I really liked both the Classic T and Alt T series, but there were several things I wanted to "tweak". I wanted a 510 trem, I wanted different tone-woods, I wanted a matching (sunburst) hybrid headstock, I wanted push/pull split Thornbuckers, I wanted a specific neck shape and radius, I wanted a particular paint style and pick guard, I wanted scraped binding. And while I could find a couple of those wants off the shelf, I couldn't get them all off the shelf. So I inquired about a custom build, negotiated the price a bit, and ended up getting one with ALL of my wants/specs for just $200 more than one off the shelf that wouldn't check off more than one or two of those wants. It was a no-brainer for just $200 more. Yea I had to wait about 9 months, but it was well worth the wait for my dream guitar!

CaliCaveMan

Gold Supporting Member
Congrats! Love my off the shelf JM (with S90s) almost as much as my custom order Classic T. I agree with the sentiment of Suhr building dream guitars (both off the shelf and custom).

I would argue anyone wanting a Suhr, if they are gonna buy new and they have any patience, should custom order one to their specs. I really liked both the Classic T and Alt T series, but there were several things I wanted to "tweak". I wanted a 510 trem, I wanted different tone-woods, I wanted a matching (sunburst) hybrid headstock, I wanted push/pull split Thornbuckers, I wanted a specific neck shape and radius, I wanted a particular paint style and pick guard, I wanted scraped binding. And while I could find a couple of those wants off the shelf, I couldn't get them all off the shelf. So I inquired about a custom build, negotiated the price a bit, and ended up getting one with ALL of my wants/specs for just $200 more than one off the shelf that wouldn't check off more than one or two of those wants. It was a no-brainer for just $200 more. Yea I had to wait about 9 months, but it was well worth the wait for my dream guitar!
Very cool! Yup, killer guitars and you can get exactly what you're after. You just need to know what you want.

that is one lovely guitar - "I don't get the Suhr hype"

all the best with it, happy NDG to you !

:beer

( this post can't capture my exitement. I am in full rave mode, making ape movements and sounds )

:banana:banana

this is one of the guitars that appears in my head before my inner eye when I am on my bicycle.

like the languedoc, with that carved cocobolo back, did.

how 'bout some more quality pics ?
from the fabulous matching headstock i.e. ?

:banana

Trending Topics