NGD: Suhr Reactive Load!

kcook301

(I guess this counts for the amp and cab forum page) I recently got a Suhr Reactive Load and I have been having a lot of fun with it so far. It is an absolute godsend for me because I have some amps that I absolutely love but I don't have the space to crank them. I ran my Soldano Hot 50 into the wall of sound cabinet simulator plugin by Two Notes and it sounds killer. Anyone else have one of these or have any experience with them? What do you use it for and what do you think I should try?

Axe-Man

Use it to load an amp and plug the output straight into an FX return of another amp...instant awesome attenuator! :cool:

I like the Mesa Ownhammer IR's as well for high gain using the Two Notes Live.

Kojack19

Gold Supporting Member
best gear purchase I have made in a long time. I chased a ton of different home playing solutions and this beats all of them by a mile. I play my higher wattage amps now at any volume and they sound just as they do loud with the right irs. Could not be happier with my RL.

prince21

I've been reading some really positive reviews about the shure thing. I own a mesa boogie mark III and I am a bedroom player. Do you think it retains the tone of the amp?? Thx a lot!

MmcGrouty

I've had mine for a few weeks. I run the amp into that, then into my effects board, then to a power amp to guitar cab. It's worlds better than the attenuator I was using. I feel as though I now have complete control over the volume and tone of any amp for any situation. You can actually hear the effect that power tubes have when pushed, and really dial in exactly what you want.

prince21

I've had mine for a few weeks. I run the amp into that, then into my effects board, then to a power amp to guitar cab. It's worlds better than the attenuator I was using. I feel as though I now have complete control over the volume and tone of any amp for any situation. You can actually hear the effect that power tubes have when pushed, and really dial in exactly what you want.
I am either getting a nice isolation box or this suhr load. I know someone who has tested both the suhr and the torpedo reload and he told me that the suhr does the tone thing better...

kingink

Platinum Supporting Member
I've been meaning to start a thread on this because I just got mine a few weeks ago. The Suhr Reactive Load is incredible. I used to run my amp through my THD Hot Plate's load/line out setting (into I/O and then DAW) using speaker IRs. It was okay but clean tones were always more distorted than they were in the room through the real live speaker cabinet and seemed a bit more compressed and sounded--and more importantly felt--- "stiff".

With the Suhr Reactive Load, you can feel (and hear) the "flex" or dynamism of the amp's interaction with the speakers. It's awesome.

An interesting thing: you can also see the results if you look at the images of your recordings in your DAW (I use Garageband).

With the Hot Plate, the wave form in the picture (or "region" in GB nomenclature) looks very squared off at top and bottom, even on clean to mid-gain tones. With the Reactive Load, the wave form has peaks and valleys that seem to be similar to what you'd see when you mic the speaker.

I haven't done any definitive experimenting in comparing the mic'd recording to the Reactive Load recording because I live in a tiny house and can't really crank my amps. At some point, I might do an experiment at my practice space but until then just take everybody's word for it: the Suhr Reactive Load works as advertised.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
the Suhr is a quality piece of gear. Lots of great results with it. I tried it and liked it as well.

ebenezer

Gold Supporting Member
I had a Two Notes Torpedo Live and a/b'd it against the Reactive Load with a Torpedo Cab. And it was no contest. The Reactive Load with the Cab was noticibly better.

Gonna go ahead and drop this video here since it is such a great intro to the Suhr Reactive Load:
Also search for videos on google using "suhr reactive load review" and watch the stuff by rockinchippy. Some great tone examples there.

I'm strongly considering purchasing this unit and am interested to hear from those who have used high-end modelers (especially the Kemper) how the tones / feel of the SRL compares.

Also, if anyone has compared the Torpedo CAB side-by-side with the (cheaper) Logidy EPSI as an IR loader after the SRL in the signal chain I'd love to hear your thoughts.

ebenezer

Gold Supporting Member
Gonna go ahead and drop this video here since it is such a great intro to the Suhr Reactive Load: Also, if anyone has compared the Torpedo CAB side-by-side with the (cheaper) Logidy EPSI as an IR loader after the SRL in the signal chain I'd love to hear your thoughts.
One of the guitarists in our church had a Logidy EPSI that I got to a/b against the CAB. IMHO, it was no contest, loaded with the same IR's, the CAB and the Epsi sounded very similar, BUT with the Cabs Power Amp simulation turned on, it was no contest. The CAB sounded alive and full. The Epsi sounded dull. And with the Cabs EQ options, it's a no contest in my opinion.But remember, this is all one mans subjective opinion, on a subjective subject.

One of the guitarists in our church had a Logidy EPSI that I got to a/b against the CAB. IMHO, it was no contest, loaded with the same IR's, the CAB and the Epsi sounded very similar, BUT with the Cabs Power Amp simulation turned on, it was no contest. The CAB sounded alive and full. The Epsi sounded dull. And with the Cabs EQ options, it's a no contest in my opinion.But remember, this is all one mans subjective opinion, on a subjective subject.
Interesting. What was he running before the CAB in the signal chain? (ie. was there a real amp in the chain that power amp simulation was then added to as well? I'm thinking of using it as amp->SRL->CAB-or-EPSI->PA(live)-or-laptop(recording) )

Veritas

Gold Supporting Member
I'm loving mine. It works exactly as advertised. I've been using it with Ownhammer IR's with great results.

white cloud

Wow, now I must admit not having the CAB or the EPSI but I do use the WOS111 plugin in my DAW and make sure to turn of the amp modeling. At first I didn't realize there were presets and
just went through some IR's(some ownhammer). I cycled through the presets after i realized some were provided and probably only found 1 or 2 that were OK

ebenezer

Gold Supporting Member
Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that you would have wanted power amp simulation when there is already a power amp in the circuit... but, hey, if it sounds good it is good. :)
That what I thought as well, but the proof is in the ears, it just sounds more "alive" with the Cab power amp sims on. And it's really simple to just toggle them on and off while playing to a/b them.

mcdyas

Gold Supporting Member
I was just reading up on my Radial JDX, which I never did before since I got it in trade. It is different than my Power Station or the Suhr Reactive Load. The JDX gets its reactive load by sitting between the amplifier and the speaker cabinet and using both sides of the signal back and forth to capture the actual reactive load to produce a line out signal, as opposed to a modeled reactive load produced by the internal resistors, capacitors and so on of the PS or RL. In theory this may have some advantages in accuracy of an actual reactive load, and eliminates the need to mike the cab. The biggest disadvantage is that there is no attenuation in the chain. Whether it actually produces a better reactive load line out signal is subject to proof and in the ears of the beholder.

"The JDX 48 is placed between the amplifier and loudspeaker. A proprietary
reactive circuit follows the constantly changing interaction between amp
and speaker to capture the dynamic response of your amp. Then an active
multi-stage filter processes the signal to emulate the frequency response
of a loudspeaker and finally, the JDX 48 uses a Class-A buffering amplifier
to output a signal suitable for pro-recording and PA systems."

I wonder how different it would sound if you did your IR from the line out of the JDX versus from a microphone setup in front of the same cab.

Last edited:

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Two Notes Torpedo Live and a/b'd it against the Reactive Load with a Torpedo Cab. And it was no contest. The Reactive Load with the Cab was noticibly better.
No contest is a bit of a stretch. I A/B'd them as well but I found more of what I wanted in the Live. Both are great, regardless. We all hear things differently.

ebenezer

Gold Supporting Member
No contest is a bit of a stretch. I A/B'd them as well but I found more of what I wanted in the Live. Both are great, regardless. We all hear things differently.
What I should have said was it was no contest for me. You right though we all hear things differently. Both are amazing tools :)

Trending Topics