NGD- Suhr Set Neck!

artguy47

Ol' CuRmUGeOn
Just picked this up for my birthday, a couple of weeks ago. John and company did a superb job on this guitar, as it is simply flawless!

Tonally, incredibly piano-like! Though I thought I had changed the top color to Sandstone, when I picked up this guitar, and started noodling, I couldn't set it down. Color doesn't matter that much to me, when I've got such a great sounding instrument, in hand.

19599-07082013-01_zpsea274a21.jpg

19599-07082013-12_zps523babd5.jpg

Ash/maple/roasted maple with figured African RW, w/ SSV humbuckers. LOVE THE TONE OF AN ASH GUITAR! Have always wanted a set neck S-type with humbuckers. Talk about a piano-like tone! This one just resonates, like a baby grand I used to own ( Steinway, in Tulip wood, that was custom built for a concert pianist in 1915! A most amazing toned piano!)

Gotta to thank John, Mike, Travis, and Don, who helped me on this build! Your attention to detail had resulted in an amazing guitar, that easily beats a far more expensive guitar in quality of fit and finish!

Suhr ROCKS!

artguy47

Ol' CuRmUGeOn
PS The photos turned out a bit dark. The color is a Faded Trans Whale burst, and looks lighter (as does the back and neck) and a bit more blue in person.

Thrillhouse

How do you like the finish on the neck? What I love about my bolt on Suhr is that the neck is a dynamite satin finish whereas the body was glossy poly finish. I suspect the set neck means the same finish throughout - your neck finish looks like the body and I'm wondering what you think about it? Was thinking about ordering a Suhr set neck but I am less of a fan of glossy finished necks.

artguy47

Ol' CuRmUGeOn
How do you like the finish on the neck? What I love about my bolt on Suhr is that the neck is a dynamite satin finish whereas the body was glossy poly finish. I suspect the set neck means the same finish throughout - your neck finish looks like the body and I'm wondering what you think about it? Was thinking about ordering a Suhr set neck but I am less of a fan of glossy finished necks.

Have both types of neck finishes, from Suhr. Since it's poly, and doesn't stick, unlike some nitros (though generally they all contain poly, these days...!). Am a fan of both finishes.

However, I'm sure they could sand it for you, as they all get finished (though not glossy coat, polished out) the same. Ask your dealer, if he has any issues, post an inquiry to Husky (John Suhr) on this forum. (John's email is on his profile, if you want to ask him directly.)

To me, the set neck seems to transmit more of the tone, which I love!!!

Thrillhouse

Have both types of neck finishes, from Suhr. Since it's poly, and doesn't stick, unlike some nitros (though generally they all contain poly, these days...!). Am a fan of both finishes.

However, I'm sure they could sand it for you, as they all get finished (though not glossy coat, polished out) the same. Ask your dealer, if he has any issues, post an inquiry to Husky (John Suhr) on this forum. (John's email is on his profile, if you want to ask him directly.)

To me, the set neck seems to transmit more of the tone, which I love!!!

Thanks for the info re: finishes. If it ain't sticky, I'll be happy.

Wow. That's a stunner!

It's so cool how the back shows the contrast between the two different woods at the joint. It looks like upper fret access would be effortless!

It's an amazing piece of playable art!

M

paintguy

Long Hair Hippy Freak
Gold Supporting Member
Looks and sounds they made you a masterpiece! Congrats!

Stu_R

Congrats. That's without doubt one of the most beautiful Suhr's I've ever seen.

I'm a huge fan of an s-type body twinned to a set neck, fixed bridge and h/h. Top specs, and a great colour.

ZeyerGTR

Congrats - gorgeous! I love my set neck modern as well - effortless to play, every note is fat and clear (mine's alder not ash, but similar quality of rich, piano-like tone everywhere, particularly up past the 15th fret where a lot of guitars kind of thin out).

artguy47

Ol' CuRmUGeOn
Congrats - gorgeous! I love my set neck modern as well - effortless to play, every note is fat and clear (mine's alder not ash, but similar quality of rich, piano-like tone everywhere, particularly up past the 15th fret where a lot of guitars kind of thin out).

Have always wanted a 'set neck' strat, with humbuckers, and a fixed bridge. This answered that quest, beautifully. Also, had a mahogany set neck, originally, but have soooo many LP types already. Glad you also are enjoying your set neck.

For those of you who haven't had the chance to try a Suhr, they seem to be getting even better! Have tried several of Suhr's set necks, and for me, this one is the best. Don't plan on parting with any of mine.

Just playing it, and... next to my 54 year old LP Special, this is the most resonant guitar I've ever owned. Sustains forever!!!

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom