NGD-Tahitian Coral 1960 Fender Musicmaster!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by joeybsyc, Apr 17, 2015.

1. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Member

Check this one out... While I've owned a bunch of later 60's Musicmaster II's with the 24" scale, I have always been afraid to try a 22.5" scale one. When I came across this little beauty I decided it was time to take a chance! The seller had recently bought it at an estate sale, and the previous owner apparently had it for a long time, perhaps since new. It's got a couple replacement saddles and an added string tree, but appears to otherwise be original. There is a crack on the back of the headstock near one of the tuner screw holes that appears to have been there for many years. It doesn't extend to the front, and the guitar tunes up and plays great so I'm not worried about it. The slab rosewood board is super dark, and the neck is pencil dated 5/60.
    The biggest oddity about this one is obviously the color... Now I assumed that it MUST be a refin, as everyone knows 1960 Musicmasters only came in tan right? Well after giving it a closer look in person I'm not so sure! The finish is definitely VERY old, and has lacquer checking and chipping throughout, and looks to have been this color forever. I'm not claiming to be any expert on Fender finishes, but I've seen my share of originals and this one looks like it actually could be a factory refin or possibly even a special order. The color looks VERY much like Tahitian Coral, a rare custom color found on this strat from the same time period:
    http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/1961_Fender_Stratocaster_Tahitian_Coral

Another oddity is the headstock logo. Upon close examination I believe it to be the original decal, as is the rest of the neck finish... but there is no evidence of it ever having the "MUSICMASTER" wording under the silver spaghetti logo. Now maybe this thing is just a really old refin with a really old repro headstock logo... but my gut feeling is that it's not. Unfortunately the previous owner is deceased, as I would really love to know some more history on this one... in any case, it plays and sounds insanely good for such a little guitar, and the neck is quite chunky... the original frets are in really nice shape and it is a real blast to play! I can't say it's as comfy as a 24" scale neck, but it's definitely playable, and this little guy now becomes the oldest Fender I've ever owned! it was obviously well care for, and while I'm not sure if it could be an original finish or not, I do know it's a cool one I'm glad to have been able to get! Hope you dig the pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. iowa

iowa Supporting Member

That is very cool.

3. Randell scott

Randell scott Member

4. R13D

R13D Supporting Member

Never seen one with that finish.

Looks nice.

5. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

That looks like faded Fiesta Red - there never was a "coral" finish in the Fender lineup - gorgeous guitar. I have two matching MJT bodies that color - one Strat and one Tele. I always wanted a matched pair so I'll be building those up this year.

6. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Member

Read the article I posted above from Premier Guitar. While not an official "Custom Color" option on the standard sheets, this color was found on at least one Strat in 1961. Custom colors were not "supposed" to be available on Musicmasters at all, so Fiesta Red wouldn't have been any more likely to be found on a Musicmaster than any other color really, and it's definitely not faded Fiesta Red. The color under the guard is barely faded at all, and is pretty close to whats seen on the exposed surfaces, albeit with a bit more gloss retained. Tahitian Coral was listed as a 1958 Chrysler color, shown on this paint chart 2 spots above Shell Pink.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks like the same color to me.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  7. 55goldtop

55goldtop Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

That sure does look original. That's the nicest music master I've ever seen.

8. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

Yes, this is real. Just when you think you've seen everything...BAMM!! I'm still dizzy.

[​IMG]

9. goodwater

goodwater Member

that color...is the best color

10. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I would agree. Its super coolio.

11. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Original or refin, it's pretty awesome.

That strat at Dave's is one of my favorite guitars of all time. At least visually speaking.

:aok

12. hogy

hogy Member

What are those faint circles next to the pickguard on the upper bout? Plugged holes under the finish?

There are custom color Music Masters, I had a Dakota Red '57 years ago.

13. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Member

No, just some kinda water spots/ stains... like someone spilled a coke on it or something. There are no plugged holes or modifications at all.

14. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

That Musicmaster is awesome. You won the internets.

15. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Member

Haha... Thanks man!

16. slider

slider Member

Thing of beauty, regardless of how it sounds. Could hang it up as a piece of decor, but I hope you play it like mad.

17. 55goldtop

55goldtop Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Here are some finish checking comparison photos of my 59. They look a lot alike - except for the killer custom color of course!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

I love it. But how do you keep yourself from mounting a humbucker in the bridge position?

19. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Member

Ha...willpower I guess.;)

20. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I didn't have time to read the link yesterday, but I did today. For all intents and purposes it looks like faded Fiesta Red if you've ever seen one. I was unaware that Musicmaster's had a custom color range I'm so used to Strat's and Teles. That's a sweet looking guitar.