NGD: Telecaster!

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
I've owned several Fender Telecasters (and copies) over the years, but have been without one for a while now since I sold my LTD TE-212 a couple years ago. So, a while back I'm visiting with another local musician friend and after jamming together for a bit he lets me play a Tele that he has. It's a 2011 Fender American Special Series w/ a maple fretboard and from the moment I picked it up I just bonded with it like I do with few guitars.
I tell him, "This guitar plays perfectly!" and he asks if I want to buy it.
Oddly, I was hesitant because I didn't want to make an impulse buy.
He says, "Take it home for a while and see what you think." :eek:

Well, it's been a couple of months and I think I still really dig it, so I paid the man tonight (killer price, too!)
It doesn't need a setup or anything, it just needs to accompany me to some future gigs. :cool:

IMG-5996.jpg

I think the ONLY thing I'll do to this in the future is add a 4-way switch. It needs nothing else.

Edited to correct the name: it's an American Special, not an American Classic. The American Specials replaced the old Highway 1 series and now they're called the American Performer Series.

Last edited:

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
Congratulations on a sweet Tele!

Do you know the specs on these?

Alder body
25.5 scale
9.5" radius
Modern C neck profile
22 jumbo frets w/ satin finish neck
Texas Special pickups
Greasebucket tone circuit
Ash tray bridge plate w/ vintage 3-saddle bridge

I really think I like the feel and sound of this one over my old '98 American Standard, and I really liked that guitar and have been pining for it ever since I sold it.

stratman89

Silver Supporting Member
Alder body
25.5 scale
9.5" radius
Modern C neck profile
22 jumbo frets w/ satin finish neck
Texas Special pickups
Greasebucket tone circuit
Ash tray bridge plate w/ vintage 3-saddle bridge

I really think I like the feel and sound of this one over my old '98 American Standard, and I really liked that guitar and have been pining for it ever since I sold it.
Ooh, I love the specs. I may have to check one of these out.

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
Ooh, I love the specs. I may have to check one of these out.

They've been off the market for a little over a year, but a quick search shows several online retailers still have some in stock. The American Performer Series is the newer version of these, but I'm not sure of the spec differences.

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
I just realized this nice little added bonus on the neck plate...

IMG-6002.jpg

It's my guess that most/all Teles got this in 2011?

e???

Congrats! I'm a fan of the highway 1 and specials. Especially when they're not too heavy

John C

Gold Supporting Member
They've been off the market for a little over a year, but a quick search shows several online retailers still have some in stock. The American Performer Series is the newer version of these, but I'm not sure of the spec differences.

The American Performers have different pickups (they are calling the pickups on all the American Performers "Yosemite"), slightly different Greasebucket circuit, and different tuners (American Performers have what they call "Classicgear Tuners" - look like Klusons with split posts but have the screw-down bushing/guide pin mounting like modern tuners and 18:1 ratio).

Top Bottom