NGD: The FZSG

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by chucke99, Dec 27, 2009.

1. chucke99

chucke99 Member

This "new" guitar came to me in stages. First, I got the Faded SG in trade for an amp, then Santa brought me all the goodies to go inside it: GFS Fat PAF's in the neck and bridge, running through tri-sound switches to give them Humbucker/Single Coil/Parallel Humbucker modes; and an on-board GFS preamp/EQ which replaces the stock pots with a master Volume and a three-band EQ. When the volume is on about 6, you get what would be the standard output of the pickups. Crank it up from there and you get very nice overdrive tones.

I also refinished the top (unfinished it might be a better way to describe it), added the bead detail, and actually burnt it in places to approximate the SG that Frank Zappa used in the middle 1970s. (That guitar is affectionately known as the "Baby Snakes SG".) Frank's guitar features many more switches than mine, though they did many of the same things (coil splitting and phasing). He also had an onboard preamp that boosted the guitar's output by about 18db (according to Dweezil, who now has the guitar).

This guitar plays very well and I'm a very happy papa:

[​IMG]

2. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

That is just so cool. Nice work- I would love one of those. Feel like building a twin?

3. chucke99

chucke99 Member

I'd probably do a better job on a second one. If you're serious, PM me and I'll try to figure out costs. If not, thanks for the compliment.