NGD: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly SG

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Hulakatt, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

Good:
    Nice weight, kinda heavy for an SG but no neck dive. Heavier than my telecaster.
    Beautiful finish!
    Pretty good condition

Bad:
    Wonky bridge pup. Puts out about half of the volume of the neck pickup even when it's close enough for the strings to buzz against.

Ugly:
    If it's a refin, it's a dang good one, if it's not, Gibson did a terrible job imprinting the Serial number and the made In USA stamp on the headstock. It's there but barely visible under the best lighting. Can't get any picture of the serial number at all.

[​IMG]

It still needs the neck adjusted a bit and finished setting up but I popped a string while winding it and I'm waiting on spares to ship.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gurn, fretless, monty and 11 others like this.
  2. misterg71

misterg71 Supporting Member

It wouldn't surprise me if your finish is factory. It's not unusual for Gibson finishes to be applied on the heavy side. My new CME ES-335 Studio has a barely visible serial number too. In fact, I've owned a few Gibson guitars with hard to see serial numbers. Looks good BTW. When I did own any SGs' I always liked 'em around the 7.5 lb. area. Not always easy to find.

3. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Oh, stop being so darn picky. It's a great ax - play her and enjoy.
    I like it!

Starshine and peskypesky like this.
  4. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

I like white SGs. Can't tell from the pix, but could be a pro refin -- looks great -- though I base this only on the observation that what looks like some normal wear/rounding spots on the headstock appears to have beautiful intact finish on them. In any case, it looks great. Good luck sorting out the PU imbalance. Should be easy.

5. Hulakatt

It certainly will be a great axe when I'm done setting her up! Gotta get some new strings and finish adjusting her right.

From looking over the finish carefully and given the age (2011) I'm guessing it's a factory finish with a crappy stamp job. I'll crack the back plate and go through the wiring first but then I might just order a pair of BKP pickups. I've been looking for a reason to try a set of their Abraxis ones :D

Edit: Don't know why but I frigging love white Gibson's! I have a white single cut Jr and my dream guitar would be a white 335/345/355 Custom.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  6. Madguitrst

Madguitrst Member

third stone from the sun, one step from the edge
    Hence, why there is no neck dive. :D

Time to strip that baby and put a walnut or cherry finish on it, like SG's are supposed to have. o_O

7. Fuzzr

Fuzzr Supporting Member

You can always lower the neck pickup. It’s obviously a factory white paint job, just thicker than normal. I have plenty of Gibson’s with the serial number not that legible.

MassProducedDreamer and ken374 like this.
  8. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

Whats the deal with the binding on the side of the frets? That looks like a nightmare to work with an play/maintain.

Do they still do that on new SGs?

9. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

Congrats, nice NGD report

10. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

maybe you have a bad volume pot? Looks like a great guitar!

11. RL2792

RL2792 Member

I believe I have that exact guitar. 2010 SG std. Like yours, the serial number on mine is barely visible. Mine plays great. I did swap the original pu' s for some SD 59s. Enjoy!

redchapterjubilee likes this.
  12. misterg71

misterg71 Supporting Member

Gibson Opaque finish can be fairly heavily applied, that’s why I believe it’s original. The stamp was probably good, high amounts of laquer could’ve filled it in. 2010 would/should have the PC board electronics. Could be a bad trace on the PC board as well.

13. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

them is nibs

S3bird and MassProducedDreamer like this.
  14. Dig ?

Dig ? Supporting Member

15. EtaCarinae

EtaCarinae Member

It is pretty common for the serial to be difficult to make out, especially on colors that need a lot of coats.

Something is wrong with your bridge pickup though. Does it sound normal? Just quiet? Do you know which pickup is in this model?

16. Hulakatt

I will fight you.

Either that or...

Sounds normal, just about half of the output of the neck. Way more than can be adjusted out by raising or lowering each or both pickups, already tried.

the tourist, Lt Dak and T Dizz like this.
  17. RomanS

RomanS Member

Maybe they put the bridge PU in the neck position, and vice versa? Try swapping them around...

18. ken374

ken374 Member

Raise the pole pieces a few turns to the shape the curvature of the bridge it does wonders, neck prb lower some. Adjust playing loud!

19. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

Nice! I love white SGs.

peskypesky and BADHAK like this.
  20. stahlhart

stahlhart Supporting Member

Check to make sure that the bobbins of the bridge pickup are not wired out of phase. I once got a NIB Seth Lover bridge that had that issue.