NGD: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly SG

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Hulakatt, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Mikhael

Mikhael Member

Or easier, measure the DC resistance on each of the pickups. That could point to something out of whack.

2. Madguitrst

Madguitrst Member

third stone from the sun, one step from the edge
    Lol

Okay, headstock to headstock....I'll bring a Travis Bean.

So, will you be redoing that in a Walnut or cherry finish? :D

In all seriousness, I dig your guitar!
    Enjoy!

3. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

A white SG is the only dream guitar I have never owned. Got to get one some day.

4. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

White Gibsons always seem to have the serial # filled in.

5. teletalkin

teletalkin Member

6. mjross

mjross Member

My white Les Paul Signature has a barely visible serial#. Have to get it in just the right light to see it.

7. MassProducedDreamer

MassProducedDreamer Member

I like nibs. One of the first things I look for on non-Studio,Tribute etc used Gibsons. Never had one re fretted, but I've always assumed it ups the price

8. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

Until it needs to be refretted.

9. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

White and black Gibson USA guitar serial numbers are like that, it's normal.

Great looking guitar. If the case liner is anything other than white, it will likely stain part of the guitar over time.

10. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I dig the Travis Bean's but I always ended up with the alum neck Kramers instead. No complaints, they were awesome!

Edit: If we're bringing guitars for a fight, I'm bringing one of those Muddy Waters Telecasters from the early 2000's. Damn those things weighed a ton!

I was torn between waiting for a white SG or picking up a batwing in Heritage Cherry and going for blackout pickup covers for the whole Super Sonico deal.

I'm pretty happy with it but I can't wait til I can finish setting it up and really tear into it. And I can't wait to sort out the pickup issue. She's gonna be a monster :D

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  11. redchapterjubilee

redchapterjubilee Supporting Member

Looks a lot like mine. If it's indeed like mine then it is a fine player. I had one of the closeout 2013's and it couldn't hold a candle to the feel of my 2010. Mine is one of the Guitar Center versions with a BB1/3 combo and push/pull pots. I yanked that all out and went with BB1/2 and 500k pots. It's a keeper. Happy NGD!

12. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

me too!

Prior to Graveyard’s recent video shoot for “Goliath,” Ramm asked his manager to help him acquire a white SG because, he says with a laugh, “White guitars have always had this elegance and I figured it’d be the perfect video guitar.”

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  13. Bogner

Bogner Supporting Member

BK Mule (b) BK Riff Raff (n)

14. Hulakatt

Mine indeed does have the push/pull pots. How do you determine which pickups are in there? I'm not very familiar with Gibson's pickups.

15. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

White SG's are one of the best guitar color combos in history. One of the few Gibsons I'd consider in a color other than cherry or cherry sunburst.

If the SG has coil taps, it is very possible there is a wiring issue on the weak pickup and\or its tap switch. Since the coils are in series, if a coil broke it would probably kill the sound or make it so quiet it would be unusable. A wiring issue might be a quick and cheap repair.

Fret nibs are a wonderful thing. Some of us crave them, one of the best things about Gibsons. I tend to not buy Gibsons without nibs.

16. Hulakatt

17. jhale

jhale Supporting Member

My guess is refin so if you didn't buy from store consider return if not disclosed. The headstock edges should be sharper so sanded before refin. If price was right and from store then up to you

18. redchapterjubilee

redchapterjubilee Supporting Member

You have to take them out to look at the bottoms of the pickups. There should be a sticker with the pickup type and who wound it. Maybe the date too.

19. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

You're waiting for a strind "to ship"? You don't have an extra set? I have enough sets and single strings hanging around to last until about 2025.

20. Hulakatt

Thank you, Sir. +42 Internets for you for your sharing of knowledge.

Yes, I am waiting on strings to ship. I try not to keep enough extra crap around to stock a Mom and Pop store. For a long time I had a solid stash but I've restrung guitars so many times without paying attention to the bottom of the drawer that I just noticed that I was grabbing my last set to string up this SG. When I was stringing it up, the B string broke. SOB strings are not sealed and the strings had developed some rust on them and most likely weakened them a bit.

I like to use Rev Willy's Mexican mojo strings on my tele but on every other guitar I use DR Pure Blues or SOB Rock strings, I just haven't kept up stock.