1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We've added some "new" guys to the moderator crew. All are longtime members that stepped up to the invite to help out by volunteering their time and effort to help the membership experience on TGP stay on the even keel. A special thank you to the 'new' guys that helping out. The new moderators are Mike Duncan, Stormin, ford, Teleplayer, and PurpleJesus A thread on the announcement is here!

Dismiss Notice

NGD: the return of the SE One Korina...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jimi D, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

About five years ago I had a great opportunity to grab the Mira of my dreams - a NOS vintage Mahogany ultra-light with a one piece body that just sang. I loved the guitar and jumped on the deal (I still have the Mira today), but part of the trade included me giving up my original SE One Korina, which was a guitar I was pretty damned fond of... But I reasoned I could always find another SE One cheap, and I really wanted this Mira, so the deal was done...

Here's an old pic of my original before it was traded away...
    [​IMG]

Finally, almost five years later, I have found a replacement SE One Korina... I won't buy a guitar without playing it first anymore, and there were just NONE available in my neck of the woods for ages and ages... I passed on a standard SE One about a year ago, and I was getting kind of bummed about possibility of ever getting another, so when this one came up on Kijiji, I jumped on it. I'm really pleased to have another in the fold. I know some people don't like them, but I love the birds and binding! I'm looking forward to dropping a Lollar in the bridge (something I'd planned for my original, but never got around to).

[​IMG]

I love these guitars! :dude

2. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Very cool! Last year I bought an SE One Korina like the one in your bottom pic. I really like it and have thought about replacing the pickup as well, but I'm not so sure. I haven't tried it yet with the band so I don't really know how noisy the pickup is yet. I like the sound of the pickup so if I replace mine it will be for a noiseless version of the P90.

Is there a history/timeline of the PRS SE One series? (I have seen some with 2 humbuckers as well as some without binding)....

3. pak1001

pak1001 Member

Amazing instrument! Have you thought about replacing the factory pick-up cover with a "dog-ear" cover?

4. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

Sweet. I bought a black mahogany One a few months ago and I just love the thing. Simple, tone for days, killer looks, and they are a great bargain!

5. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

Ya, I thought of that at one point, but you can't fit a dog ear in without modding the pickguard, which I wasn't really willing to try...

Playing this thing for the last couple days makes me real glad I got another. This one's going nowhere.

6. KJP1990

KJP1990 Member

I think someone on here put a mini-hum in the neck position. I'd like to know how that mod was done so you can have a P90-H pickup combo for some really interesting tones.. :munch

7. Kato10

Kato10 Member

If I find a local deal on one I'll be all over it. Bought my first SE recently and I'm blown away. Really want an SE one in a big kind of way.

8. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

I've seen one with a Tele neck pickup and another with a lipstick pickup at an angle. There isn't much room with the stock guard.

I thought it might be cool to add a neck pickup, but then you may as well just get the SE Soapbar instead. Plus I can't help but think some of the mojo of the One is from the super solid neck joint.

9. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

What would be the benefit/reason to do that?

10. aaronbarnes

aaronbarnes Member

Those SE Soapbars are badass too.

11. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

I think Rotten had a couple he modded... in fact, it looks like he's selling one now: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1523127