NGD: the return of the SE One Korina...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jimi D, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

About five years ago I had a great opportunity to grab the Mira of my dreams - a NOS vintage Mahogany ultra-light with a one piece body that just sang. I loved the guitar and jumped on the deal (I still have the Mira today), but part of the trade included me giving up my original SE One Korina, which was a guitar I was pretty damned fond of... But I reasoned I could always find another SE One cheap, and I really wanted this Mira, so the deal was done...

Here's an old pic of my original before it was traded away...
    [​IMG]

Finally, almost five years later, I have found a replacement SE One Korina... I won't buy a guitar without playing it first anymore, and there were just NONE available in my neck of the woods for ages and ages... I passed on a standard SE One about a year ago, and I was getting kind of bummed about possibility of ever getting another, so when this one came up on Kijiji, I jumped on it. I'm really pleased to have another in the fold. I know some people don't like them, but I love the birds and binding! I'm looking forward to dropping a Lollar in the bridge (something I'd planned for my original, but never got around to).

[​IMG]

I love these guitars! :dude

2. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Very cool! Last year I bought an SE One Korina like the one in your bottom pic. I really like it and have thought about replacing the pickup as well, but I'm not so sure. I haven't tried it yet with the band so I don't really know how noisy the pickup is yet. I like the sound of the pickup so if I replace mine it will be for a noiseless version of the P90.

Is there a history/timeline of the PRS SE One series? (I have seen some with 2 humbuckers as well as some without binding)....

3. pak1001

pak1001 Member

Amazing instrument! Have you thought about replacing the factory pick-up cover with a "dog-ear" cover?

4. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

Sweet. I bought a black mahogany One a few months ago and I just love the thing. Simple, tone for days, killer looks, and they are a great bargain!

5. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

Ya, I thought of that at one point, but you can't fit a dog ear in without modding the pickguard, which I wasn't really willing to try...

Playing this thing for the last couple days makes me real glad I got another. This one's going nowhere.

6. KJP1990

KJP1990 Member

I think someone on here put a mini-hum in the neck position. I'd like to know how that mod was done so you can have a P90-H pickup combo for some really interesting tones.. :munch

7. Kato10

Kato10 Member

If I find a local deal on one I'll be all over it. Bought my first SE recently and I'm blown away. Really want an SE one in a big kind of way.

8. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

I've seen one with a Tele neck pickup and another with a lipstick pickup at an angle. There isn't much room with the stock guard.

I thought it might be cool to add a neck pickup, but then you may as well just get the SE Soapbar instead. Plus I can't help but think some of the mojo of the One is from the super solid neck joint.

9. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

What would be the benefit/reason to do that?

10. aaronbarnes

aaronbarnes Member

Those SE Soapbars are badass too.

11. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

I think Rotten had a couple he modded... in fact, it looks like he's selling one now: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1523127