• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

NGD- Time Capsule 1996 Jeff Beck Strat-Original Lace Sensor version...

joeybsyc

I've ALWAYS wanted one of these, I was still a kid when they were first introduced back in 1991. I recall drooling over a Surf Green example locked inside a display case at my local Fender dealer. while I don't remember what the pricetag said at that time, I knew it was way beyond my part-time minimum wage guitar budget at the time. it was the equivalent of me window shopping Ferraris today. I wanted one really bad, but knew I should probably just forget about that happening any time soon and get along with what I had.

Well, almost a quarter century later... I finally got that Jeff beck Strat I remembered seeing in that display case! It's not that earliest version from 1991, but it's still one of the original variations with the Lace Sensors, and has what I'd consider a very chunky neck, and of course that little off/on switch between the volume and tone knobs, and all the other little bits that made these so cool.

The guitar is in pristine condition, and it looks like someone peeled the protective plastic off the pickguard, played it for a couple hours, and stashed it away. Even the gold lettering on the pickups looks like new!

I have actually been looking at these for about a year and this is by far the cleanest one I've seen. It's also a 96, so it's got that cool little gold foil emblem on the back of the headstock that makes it a little extra unique. Everything is original with the exception of the tweed case...the previous owner kept it when he sold this, so I replaced it with a new one from G&G.

I really didn't want to spend the cash on one of these right now... but when this particular one became available I knew I would regret letting it pass by. It plays and sounds AWESOME, and while I'm generally a fan of American Standard single coils.. these gold lace sensors are insane. Hard to explain how great they are, but if you have them you know. The neck is everything people say it is, and while they say the 91's had the biggest neck, this one is giant by just about anyone's strat standards, and actually takes a little getting used to. It's even got some light flame on the underside which just makes it sweeter! The rosewood fretboard is nice and dark, and the LSR roller nut works like a champ. So much less intrusive than the Wilkinson on my '89 Strat Plus, and makes string changes a breeze. The locking tuners work great too... and well, the total package is just everything I hoped it would be. I'd say the 23 year wait was worth it. Here are a few pics of my newest prize...

AA864

Cool stuff. I bought a new Clapton Blackie in 1993, with the same Gold Lace Sensors. I still have it and play it out all the time.

Enjoy the JB. Nice find.

superrock

Gold Supporting Member
HAPPY NGD!!! that is awesome... and yeah, i had old laces in a tele a few years ago... missed them since.... waaaay cool color and nice to find one so new almost 20 years later! CHEERS!!!

65DuoSonic

Damn that's clean; what a score. Great pics, too (as are all the pics on your 'site). Neck looks nice and beefy. Congrats on your NGD.

partytrain

Looks awesome.

Why does that not have a string tree on the head? Is that just a Jeff Beck thing?

joeybsyc

Looks awesome.

Why does that not have a string tree on the head? Is that just a Jeff Beck thing?

Not a Jeff Beck thing as much as a roller nut thing. Strat Plus was the first one to be string tree-less, back in 1987. Basically any Strat factory equipped with a roller nut (Wilkinson or LSR) will not have trees.

woof*

I played a couple of the very first ones when they came out. I couldn't do the necks...and I'm a fan if big necks but those were too big.
Congrats! Very nice guitar! :)

tamader74

WOW JOEY :drool...This is one is making me Drool, Slirp, and Drool some more Brother,...I LOVE those Big Ol' neck's on these,...My '89 Plus has a

Maple 'board that is JUST about as BIG as most JB's I've had in my Hand's.

You always know how to pick 'em,...I JUST made a trade with roamingbard13 from his Partscaster with a JB sized neck, as your right on,...after '96 the neck's got a little (and kept getting more and more) smaller.

Keep me on your 'Short list' when, and if you ever want to consider passing that guitar on, as I know you like them, and take care of 'em like I do. Tom

Trending Topics