1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

NGD (Tomorrow): Novo Guitars "Sectis" Model

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by dougstrummer, May 5, 2016.

1. dougstrummer

dougstrummer Make a Joyful Noise.

Cannot wait to get my hands on this beauty tomorrow, and promise to post a review over the weekend (assuming that I can even put her down!). Initially, I can say that Dennis has been outstanding in his communications with me (no surprise), and his dealer in Atlanta, Righteous Guitars, has been exceptional with their communication and customer service (thank you, Ben). So until then....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

alane011, dsmc80, Millul and 14 others like this.
  2. gtwannabe

gtwannabe Member

Nice. I'm really diggin' the Novo body shape...more than the various Fano body shapes (I like most of the Fanos, I just like the Novo shape more). Also, I like how the inlay kind of goes with the gold foils.

dougstrummer likes this.
  3. anyone

anyone Member

Wow! Very nice.

4. stealthtastic

stealthtastic Member

5. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Too. Many. Dots! :D
    Seriously, nice looking guitar. Seems kind of Rhoney-ish in shape. I assume they have the same inspiration (although I don't know what that is).
    -
    Austin

6. Whitecat

Whitecat Member

Saw this one on his Facebook page - just outstanding. Congrats!

7. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

That is a beautiful beast.

8. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Good golly miss Molly!

9. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Pretty sweet.

Interesting design elements.

10. Jpdiff

Jpdiff Gold Supporting Member

Sweet! Enjoy!

11. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

That is a guitar that doesn't know what it wants to be and it's fantastic.

12. dougstrummer

dougstrummer Make a Joyful Noise.

Okay, so here's the super-positive review, though not where I thought I would go. When I first picked up this guitar outta the case, I had the initial feeling that I was picking up a REALLY nice Mosrite/Rickenbacker...Whuh?? (btw, I proudly own a mint 60's "Venture's" model Mosrite, and a vintage Rick). But I immediately disregarded this thought as I was unpacking a very modern instrument...though my collection is pretty much vintage/traditional cool stuff; nothing anyone would consider "modern". So I began to play this Novo "Sectis" and immediately appreciated the quality through and through, where every part and fit/finish was of the highest caliber along with playability, etc. (plus the Lollar Gold Foils are nearly magical...sitting somewhere between high-fidelity, P-90, and Filtertron...still trying to figure all of this out).

But the more I played this beautiful instrument, the more I felt I was playing what might have been the modern-day evolution of what Mosrite might have become....in fact, is Dennis Fano the modern day Semie Moseley (which, btw, if anyone ever accused me of, I would probably not stop hugging them)? So, I took a step back and will offer this idea as the most huge compliment of Dennis, but also suggest that I am not too for off with this idea...look back at all of his designs (including "Fano") and their popularity with certain cutting-edge/avant-garde artists/players and I might say that I'm on to something. Yes, I think Dennis is the modern-day Semie Moseley and I think that is probably just stopping short of accusing him of being Santa Claus LOL (okay...i'll stop, though Mosrite was what got me playing guitar all those years ago).

But, Hmmm...the "Sectis"? She's a Mercedes version of what Mosrite might have been brought current....though much more versatile, exceedingly more quality throughout (including build quality, design, and components/electronics), and playability that is on par with top-notch boutique guitars. She is not an LP/Strat/PRS substitute (IMHO), but all the other possibilities rolled into one. This is one guitar that will sit "front row" in my arsenal, and will never part with. Thank you, Dennis, for your talents and vision to chart a different (yet fondly familiar) modern course.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    Whitecat likes this.
  13. jass

jass Member

dude that thing is soooooo sick...

dougstrummer likes this.
  14. Millul

Millul Member

Jaw dropping!

dougstrummer likes this.
  15. rufedges

rufedges Member