NGD: took trip on struggle bus for this one

AltecGreen

Gold Supporting Member
At this point, I'm an expert at filling out customs forms. Sigh.

I decided I wanted a modernish super strat with a fancy top. Since I mainly buy Japanese market guitars, I opted for this Black Smoker Futura. The Futura is a new model for Black Cloud (the actual company) who are better known for their strat, tele, and jazz bass type instruments. Their most well known user is Misa from Band-maid. I ordered the guitar on March 26th. It was shipped March 27th and arrived in the US on March 28th. Then the fun began with FdEx. First, it was the usual customs hold for the toxic substance form. No problem, I fill that out and get it to FedEx on the 29th. Then nothing. I called and got no where. Then I finally get a call from FedEx and it cleared the toxic part but now the USDA want part of the action. Ok. I've done this before. Time for the LAcey act form. I fill that out and send it in. Then I wait and wait and wait. It took a week for the USDA to release the shipment then FedEx forgot to move it to delivery so more calls to FedEx and I finally got the guitar to day. That was my ride on the struggle bus.

So here's the guitar.

Here are the specs since I have them handy for copy and paste.

Top Wood: 4A Quilt Maple
Body Wood: Ash
Body Finish: Urethane
Neck Wood: Roasted Maple
Neck Shape: Asymmetry Shape
Neck Finish: Lacquer
F.Board Wood: Rosewood
Frets: Medium Jumbo
Scale: 648mm / 24F
Nut Width: Bone 42mm
Radius: 350R
Pickups: Black Smoker
Control: Vol, Tone, 5-Way SW
Bridge: Wilkinson VG300
Machinehead: Gotoh SG381 MG-T

The asymmetric neck is really cool and different than the usual C shapes. The guitar has a big thick body but is really light. About 7 lbs. That ash they used must have been really lightweight. I chose this one because of the Stern Wave Scarlet finish. The real star is the Black Smoker pickups made in house. Very big and crystal clear. The neck pickup does not have the usual mud. The splits positions do a reasonable job of sounding like a single coil.

Buddhist#6

Courtney DIDN’T Kill Kurt!
Silver Supporting Member
Congratulations & enjoy, especially after going through all of that, I don’t possess that level of patience, so respect. Glad it worked out ok.

Mr Fingers

Not my fave color, but striking and beautiful, that's for sure. I like the specs a lot and it looks beautifuly made. I'm sorry about the government stuff -- it's hard to believe it's necessary to be that slow and clunky, but all's well that end's well, I guess -- though you'll never get the waiting time back!

Kdawg1966

Wow. Good lookin', light weight, nice pups, roasted neck... You got yourself a winner! Enjoy. You'll forget about the hassle soon enough. And then go and order another one.

NSDQRKR

Really cool guitar…out of curiosity what medium do you use to shop Japanese guitars…I love my MIJ Jackson Dinky

AltecGreen

Gold Supporting Member
Really cool guitar…out of curiosity what medium do you use to shop Japanese guitars…I love my MIJ Jackson Dinky
This one I bought off Reverb because the Reverb price was slightly lower than the Japanese price. I usually check both.

Normally, I buy directly from the dealer or use a proxy service.

Top Bottom