NGD- Tyler SE

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by pjrhd28, Oct 14, 2019.

1. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

Been looking and looking and at last......

Bought this from Martin Music (and they were great to deal with) and here's the scoop:

1. That neck- it's the Std 59 neck carve- I had played them before and my memory was accurate. When you first pick it up, it just feels too big. It's bigger than my other electrics (Fender EJ Strat, LP, Suhr Std.). But then as I play, I become more accurate and faster. The neck still feels big, but it's working, and working well. And it just feels better and better the more I play. And now, I know it's going to be difficult to play the other electrics- they're going to feel too small and not as comfortable. So, yeah, its a big neck. But boy, does it work well with my hands.

2. Mid boost- it's really great when you're playing clean and want to give strat like notes a little more oomph/thickness. I don't know that I'll use it much if I'm already playing with some gain unless I'm pretty far up the neck-it can get lower notes a little too muddy and woofy. It sure does eliminate any type of plinkiness that some strats can generate.

3. Ditto with the other boost- it turns the humbucker into a Super from a Retro. Nice to have have when you need that last bit of push to get all the way to eleven.

4. When I plugged the guitar into my Matchless C-30r, I had to completely re- load on the eq settings. This guitar is brighter and louder that my other guitars. I was constantly turning the tone control down on the guitar until I finally got the amp settings where the guitar sounded right with the guitar tone about half way. But boy, once I did...

5. The guitar sounds fantastic- I was really taken back, even with sky high expectations. All five strat positions were doing exactly what they're suppose to and doing it extremely well. The cleans in the neck and neck plus middle positions were full and beefy- the middle position cut through but without being shrill, and middle plus bridge position was great clean or dirty, And the bridge pickup,especially with the two boost options, was never too thin or too bright. Clean, dirty, or really dirty, all five positions sounded great. Perhaps the highlight of the highlights were the neck and neck plus middle positions- full and harmonic and resonant clean but with plenty of range once they get a little dirty. I've never had luck with dirty solos in the neck plus middle position, but this guitar changed that outlook. Really, really resonant. Seemed to sustain forever with a linear decay. You know how you use the C 7 form further up the neck and then kind of wiggle your fingers to get a little bit of a swirl? Or playing an A chord with the open A string and then 7-6-5-5?
    It just rings forever.

6. So, I guess now I know, although many still don't. It wasn't cheap, and I don't have a lot of experience with Super/ Boutique Strats (two Suhrs I've owned, several Andersons I've played, some Fender CS strats), but I endorse the guitar enthusiastically, even given the economics. I'm actually piqued about perhaps picking up a maple board one also.

7. One other thing- of course, the case and case candy are really cool, the guitar was set up perfectly, and I sure the heck can't find any slight imperfection in any of the workmanship.

2. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Truly beautiful guitars. I owned a pile of them at one time, really want another someday!

3. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

4. trap

trap Supporting Member

Congratulations! Great review. The HB switch sounds cool.

5. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

Great review! And I too bought my first Tyler from Eric and the boys over at Martin Music when I lived in Memphis. And it’s still my number one!

Bobby D likes this.
  6. derekd

derekd Member

Congrats!

Beautiful guitar.

7. lifeson1

I have to say, though, I’ve NEVER thought of that standard neck very big... I have it in rotation with a number of guitars that vary in neck sizes, but Im curious who else thinks that the 59 is pretty large.

My SEHD is the thinner profile, which is still NOT very thin, but not close to some of the bigger tele’s and lp’s I’ve had over the years. Now, compared to some of the TA’s I’ve played over the years, I could see why someone would think the Tyler is pretty large.

8. pjrhd28

I always considered the TA's small- more of a metal/ shredder profile (in general).

The Tyler is definitely bigger than the Suhr- the Suhr is the even C slim (.8 to .880, 10-14" radius). It's quite a bit bigger. The Tyler is broader than my LP; the LP (not a historic) has the 59 profile as far as I can tell. I had a 59 Historic quite some time ago and I think it was about the same as the LP I have now- but memory can be tricky.

The Tyler feels (to me) about the size of a 58 Historic- but I don't know if that's how they actually measure up. I don't ever recall playing a Tele with a really big neck- but I'm sure they're out there.

Biggest neck I can ever remember was a Martin HD-28 CTB. And it sounded like a million bucks- maybe there's a correlation between neck mass and tone.

Played the new Tyler a little more this evening- still in the honeymoon phase. But the calluses on my fingers are getting sore.

Anyone ever upgrade to .11's from the stock .10's?

trap likes this.
  9. pjrhd28

As I think it over, I had a Fender CS Cunetto relic once- that neck seemed about the same size as the Tyler- but I don't remember the specs.

10. brokenvail

brokenvail Member

They def have a bright tone to them. To my hands the 59 is not to big. I love it but would not be scared of a bigger neck if I could get my hands on one

11. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Congratulations on a wonderful guitar!

12. TopDog

TopDog "jumping the valence" Silver Supporting Member

OP this thread is enabling my Tyler addition. I'm in recovery.

Enjoy the guitar while I struggle with wanting a fix. :)

superstratjunky, derekd and Bobby D like this.
  13. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

Don’t sell the first one you fall in love with. Keep it :D happy new Tyler day!

trap likes this.
  14. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

Yeah man! Tylers are the shizz. IMO, Tylers take the superstrat game up a notch from the other builders mentioned on this thread. The best I've found. I've owned several and they were (are) absolute gems.

Enjoy the guitar!

trap likes this.
  15. lifeson1

I used to have an R8 that had a HUGE neck. . . Well, maybe it wasn't the neck was as massive as the shoulders on it. LOVED the sound of that guitar, but I moved it to get a custom Thorn, which is perfect for me. So, with that being said, I can see where the Tyler fits in that wheelhouse a bit, from a longer scale standpoint.

Weird, never thought of myself as a 'big' neck guy, but maybe I am! Thanks for the awakening!!! And enjoy the heck out of that guitar - wonder if it's too late to get a custom guard with another switch mod for my Super!

16. brokenvail

brokenvail Member

I played an R8 once. That had a very large neck. It was awesome

17. trap

trap Supporting Member

I’ve always liked the 10-46. Sometimes I’ll use the 10-46 Balanced tension set.
    How’s the action set up on that guitar? Low?

18. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

I don't usually go for the "melting" finishes, but man that one is the exception. That is one dope instrument. Enjoy that bad boy.

19. pjrhd28

Honeymoon update...
    Still playing the Tyler tons and still love that neck. Comparisons with a Suhr Standard (maple over basswood ) are as follows:

1. The Tyler is more resonant- it just rings and rings forever. It's fuller-deeper- no matter where I am on the neck, the pickups, volume, anything.

2. The Suhr is a remarkably bouncy, round sounding guitar (I think others have pointed out the bounciness of this combination). The quacks are quackier- more brilliant- sharper, brighter. But nowhere near as full as the Tyler. I have an EJ Strat- it's much, much flatter than the Suhr. And that's not necessarily a bad thing- especially dirty, I find the flat quack preferable to the bouncy quack. The Tyler quack is full and thick.

3. I prefer the bigger Tyler neck over the smaller Suhr neck- but that's just a personal preference.

4. Still using the mid boost a lot, but it seems to me more of a mid/low boost. Unless I'm way up on the neck, hitting the mid-boost almost always rolling the treble up a bit to reduce the whoofy nature of the mid boost. For me, it's much more useful when I'm playing clean and need some girth.

5. The Tyler also has another button to turn the bridge retro into a Super-- I find I'm always on the retro and only use this when I need to get to eleven on a solo. But even it usually requires some additional treble unless I'm way up on the neck.

Anyway, so far so good. Sill curious about a maple board sound and feel difference.

Wonder how much my year end bonus will be......................

trap likes this.
  20. trap

trap Supporting Member

The mid boost for me is cool with it barely on. Emphasizes the highs and lows that way.
    Curious how the quack in number 2 is when switching between the Retro and Super?