NGD (used): 1997 Strat Plus

tenchijin2

The long story: I love my American Standard Siennaburst but have been feeling nostalgic for a Strat Plus- the first guitar I ever purchased with my own money (an '88 sea foam green back in about 1992). Anyway, I had my eyes on a nice transluscent blue 1993 Plus Deluxe and was willing to sell my Vintage Modern half-stack to fund it. Some guy contacts me about the amp and asks if I'd consider a trade. I said only if he's got a Strat Plus. Turns out, he does! It's candy apple red, which I wasn't sure I'd like. He brings it over and after a bit of hemming and hawing I make the trade.
Here it is, next to my American Standard:

johnnyb128

Nice job, Strat Plus was my second ever guitar and I’ve still got it all the way from 1992. Love it, I won’t ever sell!

slide13

Silver Supporting Member
Nice! Sonic Blue Strat Plus as my first really good guitar at age 16, still have it. Has had some parts changed...Fralin pickups, mint green guard, bent steel saddles....but it’s a great guitar that I still enjoy playing.

IAO

Congrats!

As it happens, the first guitar I ever bought with my own money was also a Strat Plus Deluxe. Trans blue and rosewood, too! I had it from maybe ‘94 to 2005, when I let it go to a family member when I moved across the country.

It apparently hasn’t been used much (I’m not sure if the strings have even been changed since that move, given the awkwardness of doing so on the mini Floyd trem) and I have been missing it quite a bit over the last few years. I’d been dropping hints that I’d like to get it back someday, if it was just collecting dust.

Finally, as of yesterday, it’s en route to CA. I’m excited to see my old friend and first nice guitar again. I’m also anticipating that it’s going to be a huge project to get playable — it hadn’t even had a proper set up in all the years I had it. If it’s in ok shape my first priority is getting the white pearloid guard off — even in the early ‘90s it was too smurfing much for me against the blue.

Looks like your Deluxe had the mini Floyd replaced with a standard Fender two-point. I’m guessing that’s a drop-in fix. May be looking to do that on mine too.

Sorry, don’t mean to derail your NGD. May need to start my own thread for advice on how to fix it up if it gets here in one piece.

They are great guitars and I was wholly unworthy of having something so nice as a kid with summer job cash burning a hole in my shorts.

DownByLaw

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats!

As it happens, the first guitar I ever bought with my own money was also a Strat Plus Deluxe. Trans blue and rosewood, too! I had it from maybe ‘94 to 2005, when I let it go to a family member when I moved across the country.

It apparently hasn’t been used much (I’m not sure if the strings have even been changed since that move, given the awkwardness of doing so on the mini Floyd trem) and I have been missing it quite a bit over the last few years. I’d been dropping hints that I’d like to get it back someday, if it was just collecting dust.

Finally, as of yesterday, it’s en route to CA. I’m excited to see my old friend and first nice guitar again. I’m also anticipating that it’s going to be a huge project to get playable — it hadn’t even had a proper set up in all the years I had it. If it’s in ok shape my first priority is getting the white pearloid guard off — even in the early ‘90s it was too smurfing much for me against the blue.

Looks like your Deluxe had the mini Floyd replaced with a standard Fender two-point. I’m guessing that’s a drop-in fix. May be looking to do that on mine too.

Sorry, don’t mean to derail your NGD. May need to start my own thread for advice on how to fix it up if it gets here in one piece.

They are great guitars and I was wholly unworthy of having something so nice as a kid with summer job cash burning a hole in my shorts.
No, the mini Floyd came out a bit later (my '93 also has the standard 2 point), either very late '93 or '94 and at one point both were on the shelves.

Patrick

Reactions: IAO

guitararmy

Congratulations! I love the neck profiles of those strats.
I'm also a fan of those guitars, and have a Strat Plus Deluxe in Bahama Green, with the silver-silver-blue Lace Sensor pu's (just like the model used in the magazine ads). It doesn't get played much though...

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Both great!!! Awesome!!
I had a maple board 3tone burst strat plus

huge fan of the lace sensors too, also had a Clapton back then

enjoy!!!

jujube

Oh and one other thing: I also got some cash in the deal so I may try to free up a bit more and buy that transluscent blue 1993 Strat+ just because. :)
I have a translucent blue Strat Plus Deluxe from the last year of production. Very well made modern Strat.

Bluesidae

Mine is a '97 burst. It is a keeper! They are very special guitars. Cult like following:) Hope you play the hell out of yours... both of them!

Trending Topics