• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

NGD: Vintage Mutt (Tele Maple Cap)

good soil digital

Silver Supporting Member
Well, it didn't come in today, but I wanted to give it a week or so before I wrote my rave reviews. :love:

I remember seeing this guitar go up for sale about a year ago. I wanted it then, but didn't have the funds available to pick it up. Well, a couple weeks ago I saw it go for sale again, still didn't have the funds, but made it happen :)

This is one of Dan's guitars that came from his personal collection. As I told Dan in an email, if he let this thing go then he must have some absolutely amazing guitars. This is one of the funnest tele's I've ever played. The neck is a dream. The previous owner had it recently refretted, so it's ready to go.

Dan originally listed it as a '66 maple cap neck, but the date stamp shows '67. I just dropped it off at my guitar guru (who lucky for me happens to be a fender master builder) who excitedly ripped it apart in a matter of minutes. He told me that even though the date stamp is '67, there is a very good chance it actually is a '66 based on the logo. According to him, it's better to date the neck during this era based on the decal and not necessarily the stamp. I honestly don't care what year it is, it plays fantastic. It's sure not a collectors grade piece though as it looks like it's had at least 3 different types of tuners on there and the old plugged holes from the fining tuning system above the nut.

The bridge pickup is stellar. I usually lean toward staggered pole bridges, but this bridge just has something special. The neck pickup seems to be matched very well from Lollar, don't know if it was a full on custom order or just one of his standards, but it sounds great.

One of the first things I noticed when I pulled it out (despite the cross-country flight and humidity changes) was that the neck seems to almost play itself. I really don't know how to describe it other than my fingers seemed to just jump off the board. It's really a joy to play!

Can't wait to get the call that it's ready for me to pickup from his shop =)

Here are the specs from Dan's original ad, with some pics.

* '66 Fender maple cap neck - this neck is the what the Danocaster "Med C" profile is based off of - it's an AWESOME neck. The back is worn down to wood and feels incredible
* Danocaster blonde 50s body - total weight about 6.5 lbs
* 1954 vintage bridge pickup / volume pot / and cap (pot and cap have now been replaced)
* custom wound Lollar neck pickup
* Pat Pending bridge w/ compensated brass saddles

Last edited:

good soil digital

Silver Supporting Member
I miss that guitar !!

what's your tech doing to it ??
You must have got something special to let this one go! He's just doing a basic setup to my specs. Nothing big... neck needed a little adjustment and the frets touched up a bit... Making a cross-country trip with a change in humidity kind of stuff.

I'm actually picking it up tonight, so I'm sure he'll tell me if it needed anything else done to it.

Can't Wait!!!! :banana:banana:banana

good soil digital

Silver Supporting Member
Picked it up from my tech tonight.

Amazing what a few little tweaks can do to an already great guitar! This is really one of those guitars that inspires you to play more =)

Trending Topics