• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

NGD: Warmoth Content

Jecht

Whoooo! My Warmoth build is finally done and I'm just floored by it! I waited almost two months and it was definitely worth it and I'm so excited to finally have it home. I got the idea for the build when I started gasing for a Friedman Cali over the summer. The Calis are outside of my price range and I wanted something with a hardtail bridge which would have been a custom order and I didn't like the current hard tail offerings from Charvel other than the Jake E Lee signature which I also cannot afford. The basic specs are as follows:

swamp ash body
roasted flame maple neck
standard thin neck profile
12"-16" compound radius
stainless steel 6150 frets
bone nut
Gotoh magnum locking tuners
Fender American standard hard tail bridge
Neck pick up: Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro

The bridge pick up is some generic OEM humbucker I had lying around that I pulled from another guitar several years ago. The actual humbucker will be a Motor City Pickups 2nd degree blackbelt which I'm waiting for. I know Wade has had some personal stuff going on so I'm not sure how long it will be and I wanted to have the guitar set up and assembled rather than wait. Aesthetically I think the 2nd degree will look great in the guitar because I ordered a zebra pickup which I think will be a fun quirk to contrast with the black SD in the neck.

My favorite small detail is that the numbers on the volume control match the finish. I was originally going to throw on a chrome barrel knob, but the luthier had just ordered all of these really cool speed knobs. Anyway, I have no commitments for the weekend and my plan is to put the guitar through its paces.

I would also like to extend a special thanks to @smallbutmighty for all of his help when I first started planning this build. IMG_2206.JPG IMG_2208.JPG IMG_2209.JPG

Last edited:

Jecht

That’s sick man...really nice.
Thank you!

Looks great, but that is quite the extreme volume knob placement!
I know! I went with Warmoth's standard strat placement you can select which is programmed into the CNC. By the time I realized how close it is, it was too late to change my order without starting over from scratch and paying the restock fee. Aesthetics aside the placement doesn't bother me so I can live with it. :) Ideally I would have matched the San Dimas placement.

Last edited:

Dashface

That looks fantastic. People always told me that the heel and the headstock/transition areas weren’t perfectly Fender shaped, so I’ve always bought Musikraft instead... But that looks great to me.

Jecht

Thanks all! The neck is my favorite part and the roasted maple really does have a maple syrup scent. :)

PatriotBadger

Looks great, and makes you wanna pick it up and weedly-deedly.

I'm working on a Warmoth G4 bass build at the moment. I'm using pure tung oil and pigment tints for the finish though, so it will take about a month to finish it and that's before assembly and set up. I love the stuff but it takes an eternity to dry.

Jett

Gold Supporting Member
Big Warmoth fan, I have a few laying around, always great products. Nice build and love the color of the body and man that roasted neck is great. Congrats...

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
Looks great! Beautiful neck.

I’ve been thinking about the same kind of thing, a Super Strat with a hard tail. I’d love the beat up relic thing but also think an oiled body and neck would be cool too.

Also after getting a Charvel with direct mount pickups I would absolutely get pickup rings every time.

Sidmore

no talent hack
Gold Supporting Member
Love the neck, nice choice on color, and a cream pickup will look very cool indeed!

AprioriMark

Gold Supporting Member
Looks great, and makes you wanna pick it up and weedly-deedly.

I'm working on a Warmoth G4 bass build at the moment. I'm using pure tung oil and pigment tints for the finish though, so it will take about a month to finish it and that's before assembly and set up. I love the stuff but it takes an eternity to dry.
Would love to see project pictures anytime!

-Mark

Jecht

Awesome ! I wanna build one just like it now
Doo it! I'd love to see how yours turns out. :)

Looks great! Beautiful neck.

I’ve been thinking about the same kind of thing, a Super Strat with a hard tail. I’d love the beat up relic thing but also think an oiled body and neck would be cool too.

Also after getting a Charvel with direct mount pickups I would absolutely get pickup rings every time.

Thank you! I already have a couple guitars with Floyds and they're great at what they do. But I wanted this one to be no frills rock guitar. Typically I would go for coil splitting too, but I already have another guitar that does that and a strat even.

Both of those choices can look great. If I had decided to wait and order custom from Friedman, I probably would have opted for their medium or light aging option because I think they do a really great job.

It depends on the guitar for me, but in general I prefer pick up rings, especially on San Dimas style guitars. Pick up cavities are magnet for dirt and dust and all of that is visible with direct mount pups. I find the tonal differences to be negligible, but I'm sure others can hear a difference.

AprioriMark

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks all! The neck is my favorite part and the roasted maple really does have a maple syrup scent. :)
Great guitar! That neck... wow. I'm going with a Fender American Ultra neck (because features) on my newest project, but I came really close to ordering a roasted maple neck.

-Mark

Trending Topics