NGD: Warmoth Strat build!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Matttt, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Matttt

Matttt Member

So this is going to be my 'metal' guitar. :dude

Spent a loooooong time on this. Built up the parts for a couple of years as and when I had time/money. Had some trouble with USACG over the body (see previous thread), went with Warmoth.

Here's the specs:

Neck: Wenge with Macassar Ebony fretboard. Unfinished. 10-16" compound radius. 'Wolfgang' asymmetrical profile. 1 5/8" nut width. Stainless steel frets. Side inlays only.

Body: One piece mahogany. Contoured heel. Clear satin finish. Warmoth.

Hardware: Kahler hybrid tremolo... it can be locked into a fixed bridge! Schaller S-locks. Kahler nut with integrated string retainer (no need for string trees). Schaller locking tuners (not required but make string changes easier).

Electronics: Seymour Duncan Blackouts, standard model. 3-way switch (Bridge, Bridge & Neck, Neck), with master volume and one tone for each pickup.

Here are the pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  2. MisterBoh

MisterBoh Member

Looks really nice man

Matttt likes this.
  3. Matttt

Matttt Member

Weighs in at 7.8lbs.

shane8 likes this.
  4. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

Not my style, but I really like the look - plain oiled-look timber and single ply black pickguard. The weight is OK too. If I wanted a nice custom guitar, it would be a Warmoth bitsa similar to that.

Matttt likes this.
  5. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

That looks fantastic!
    I love the one-ply matte guard with those woods.

Did you use tung oil on the body?

Matttt likes this.
  6. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

Familiar, and yet different. I like it. How does it play and sound?

Matttt likes this.
  7. shane8

shane8 Member

tasty

Matttt likes this.
  8. SigXer

SigXer Member

That is definitely unique and not something that you could easily get on the market. What are your thoughts on the Kahler? I like the idea of a locking trem that can actually be locked.

shane8 and Matttt like this.
  9. Matttt

Matttt Member

No.

Warmoth standard finish. Clear satin.

I was going to buy an unfinished body and use gunstock oil to finish it, but I couldn't be bothered in the end. I like how this feels too.

freedom's door likes this.
  10. Matttt

Matttt Member

Unplugged, it sounds a lot warmer than my normal strat... on account of the Mahogany body. But still not as warm or rounded as a Les Paul, because this still has the 25.5" scale length and different neck/fingerboard woods.

The wenge neck must warm the sound up a bit too, compared with maple, but not as much as a Mahogany neck. To me, this guitar sounds halfway between a maple necked and mahogany necked guitar. The response is still quite spanky though, as you'd expect a 25.5" scale length strat to be.

The fretboard is glass smooth, and with the stainless steel frets it feels slippery but not too much. Bending strings is effortless. The unfinished neck also has a real nice feel, fast like an oiled maple neck. The compound radius contributes to a rather low non-buzzing action. It just feels so easy to play.

I don't know why people think Kahler's rob tone... I don't see that here and have never seen it. No more so than Floyd's at least. It works great, and I prefer the way they feel to a Floyd. The tuning is rock solid. I like how I can lock it to a fixed bridge too, so I don't have to worry about string breakages if I'm playing or recording with no need for trem action.

The pickups I had in a V before this build. They sound great. High output... but they actually sound quite good for a range of music. The bridge pickup is a little cold for anything lighter than classic rock, but the neck pickup has great tones across the spectrum. The bridge does a 'metal clean' if that makes sense... think Metallica's cleans. The neck can do anything.

Overall very happy.

11. Matttt

Matttt Member

I love it.

I have Floyd's too, and I like them. But I prefer the Kahler.

I like the way it feels better than the Floyd, that's the main thing. I find it more controllable. It's stiff enough that I can do flutters, but when you move it, it moves more easily and more predictably than a Floyd.

The locking is very a small allen screw, so you do need to keep a wrench handy. With a Floyd though, you need a wrench to change the strings, but with the Kahler you do not.

I also like how easy it is to adjust the strings, including string spacing and height/action. You cannot do that easily on a Floyd.

Set up was really easy. I just locked the trem, set it up, undid the lock, and a slight adjustment on the fine tuners was enough. No tricky balancing of the trem like I do with a floyd. (Or rather, my tech did this).

Keeps a nice clean look on the back of the body, too.

Warmoth will route for them by special order. I don't think it cost me anything extra. You have to drill the mounting holes yourself (x4) but I found that very easy.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    HERSCHEL and SigXer like this.
  12. DGrig

DGrig Member

There's guitars is well beyond the sum of it's parts. It's beautiful and handsome thing. You have good taste. Just wow!

Matttt likes this.
  13. Matttt

Matttt Member

Little plug for a local tech. If you're in South Wales, check him out.

He did the fret dress, wiring and final setup. Warmoth do good work but every build needs a fine tune and I ended up with a great guitar.

Ed's In The Shed:
    http://www.edsintheshed.com/

14. Yamariv

Yamariv Member

Wow, that Ebony neck is stunning!! Nice guitar brother!!

Matttt likes this.
  15. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Excellent choices! :beer

I've got another Warmoth Strat project coming up, but I haven't decided on all details yet other than it will be all natural. :aok

Matttt likes this.
  16. drysideshooter

drysideshooter Member

Extremely handsome guitar.

Matttt likes this.
  17. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

Love the fretboard and the Kahler!

Matttt likes this.
  18. Moby Dick

Moby Dick Member

Great looking build.
    Congratulations.

How is the kahler trem?

Matttt likes this.
  19. Matttt

Matttt Member

Flawless!

I posted some more details comments about it above.

Prefer it to a Floyd.

Moby Dick likes this.
  20. Arcadia

Arcadia Member

Very very nice build. I personally would have used passive pickups, but it's a nice build for sure.

Matttt likes this.