NGD! Warning: LOTS of pics

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jfwund, Feb 29, 2012.

1. jfwund

jfwund Member

Well, it finally arrived, and I’m happy with it! I bought a Gibson ES-333 off of ebay about 2 weeks ago, and the UPS man came with a big box today…
    First impressions, other than that it wasn’t packed so much as thrown into a box and therefore I’m amazed that UPS didn’t destroy it, are positive. It’s definitely been used, lots of scuffs and dings. I’ve taken pics of the most obvious one. It’s also quite dirty. It’s in need of some TLC, no doubt, but the frets have plenty of life in them and the neck seems straight. No dead spots or buzzing, and the action’s pretty low. I love the neck shape – it’s fatter than a 60s neck, but it’s nowhere near the log on my R8. I’m going to enjoy playing this one.
    The pickups definitely are not my cup of tea. The neck pup is OK, not great, not terrible, but the 500T in the bridge just doesn’t suit the guitar, IMHO. That’s an easy fix. The wiring appears stock, and again, works just fine. The switch is a bit stiff. The strap button on the back also seems a bit loose, although the screw is in all the way. The button wiggles, but doesn’t lift off the guitar, if that makes sense.

Altogether, I think I got a pretty good deal. I saw on several other places online that the sunburst color was a limited run – I’ve seen numbers from 25-75 produced – I don’t know if that’s true or not, but the color certainly suits the guitar. Depending on the light, it goes from a tobacco burst look to a brockburst look. None of the pinkish brown that Gibson’s current “triburst” color has.

I have some Sheptone Blue Skies on the way, and I have a wiring kit from Martin6strings to go in there. Pointers and reflectors for the style, and of course the aged switch tip. I also have a Gotoh aluminum tailpiece to put on. And before I do any of that, Virtuoso cleaner and polish will be liberally applied. I’ll get this sucker cleaned up and shining…

Alright, time for pictures. There are a lot of them, and I will offer some commentary as I go. Bear with me…

[​IMG]

Gina decides to see what all the fuss is…

[​IMG]

My first thought on opening the box was “this isn’t promising…”

[​IMG]

The case is beat to hell, but it did its job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the noteworthy dings and chips…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jfwund

jfwund Member

The ABR-1 has a tiny bit of forward lean going on, too, but not too bad. Guitar is intonated fine from what I can tell.

[​IMG]

Got a bit of natural relicing going on, too…

[​IMG]

Here’s one with her drawers down…

[​IMG]

Gut shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK, glamour shot time…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coming soon…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gibson corner:

[​IMG]

Everybody’s content

[​IMG]

Thanks for checking out the pics! Any advice about swapping out parts or cleaning/polishing is most welcome. This will be my first time changing pups myself…

3. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

Looks good, Nice burst on that one. I would have been terrified that it got damaged in shipping if I had it shipped packaged like that.....Yikes!!!

Hope you enjoy it!

4. Auriemma

Auriemma Member

Nice! Did all those come with the escape hatch in the back?

5. iluvfender

iluvfender Member

Looks clean enuff to me. Nice one!