NGD: Weird Flying V

Jecswp

I don't play much metal anymore, but occasionally I'll get the itch. So I've been looking for an old beater into which I could throw a set of James Hetfield pickups I have laying around. Yesterday I found this:

(Sorry for the tiny pics, downloaded them from ebay)

The only thing I know about this guitar is that I bought it. No serial number. A previous owner gave it a new paint job. Seller says hardware and pickups are Epiphone. I would believe it looking at the headstock. But the controls are weird. Two volumes and a tone, in line like a '58, but the toggle is directly in line, not off to the side. The tone controls are back-routed, but the pickups are front-routed and the pickguard almost looks like an LP. Set neck, 22 frets, with block inlays. All frets above 12 are scalloped.

I'm just checking in to see if anyone has seen anything like it and knows what brand/year it might be. I'm sure it's a cheap Asian knock-off that someone went kind of crazy with, but it's OK. It was cheap and I have a thing for weird frankenguitars.

Grap

If it's like a '58 style scratch plate & controls, but with a stop bar tail piece, it could be an SX as I have one which is exactly like that.

It' a copy of some very short lived V version form about 1979. It must have been the first pic that came up on a Google image search ;-)

Jecswp

Unfortunately those pics are way too small to reveal anything. Do you have a link to the auction?
That was my original intention. I tried to link to it, but all it says is "This Buy It Now listing is closed." I'll try again when it actually gets here.

If it's like a '58 style scratch plate & controls, but with a stop bar tail piece, it could be an SX as I have one which is exactly like that.

It' a copy of some very short lived V version form about 1979. It must have been the first pic that came up on a Google image search ;-)
I checked out the SX, but that's not it. The input jack isn't on the front and the toggle is right in line with the tone and volume controls, not below.

Jecswp

Now just imagine moving the input jack, smushing the knobs together to make room for the toggle to get in line. While you're at it, remove the pickguard and replace it with one from a Les Paul.

Trending Topics