NGD: Westerly Guild M20

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GAD, Feb 11, 2012.

1. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

2000ish Guild M20 (Not a GAD) from the Westerly plant.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Well done! It looks to be in excellent condition too, Congrats :)

3. GAD

Thanks! Yeah, it's as mint as a 12-year old guitar could be.

More pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

Wow, sure looks different from my old early sixties M-20. Binding, fancy bridge... The old grey mare, she ain't what she usta be!

5. ROKY

ROKY Member

fixed . ;)

6. GAD

7. Howard

Howard Member

I have one of those, can I ask where you got it from?

8. BComp61

BComp61 Supporting Member

9. GAD

Internet...

You have a Westerly M20? I've not seen many. Is yours gloss or like mine?

10. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

11. Howard

Howard Member

Like yours, although mine isn't quite as mint - there's a chunk out of the back of the headstock where it fell against a wall 6-7 yrs ago

12. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

Very very nice, if you ever want to see an old one that is untouched, check out the Robbies up on Route 17 in Mahwah, way in the back in a glass case. It still hase the hang tags on it. I have asked a bunch of times but its not for sale.

13. GAD

I've seen that guitar. I used to work about two miles from that store. Not my favorite place... When the Robbies on Rt 46 looks good by comparison, there's something wrong with the way you do business!

BTW, from what I've seen of the way Robbies takes care of acoustics, that M20 probably has a skateboard park for a fretboard. Still, it is cool to see that little untouched slice of the past.

14. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

I saw that on LTG & would've bought it if you didn't first. Great looking guitar & they're hard as hell to find. I'd actually prefer one of the newer Westerly models like this vs. one from the 50's... it's bound to be in far better shape & the Westerly factory has never let me down.

Curious how it compares size-wise to Martins... do you know, is it closer to a 000 or 00? Love my 000-15, which I assume is somewhat similar.

I used to have a '98 Guild F30-R (really regret ever getting rid of it) that was amazingly close in size to a 000, though the body was a little thinner on the F30.

Anyways, congrats & enjoy! Looks like a real beauty.

15. mediocreplayer

mediocreplayer Member

It is closer to a 00. In fact, it seems to be somewhere between an 0 and a 00.

Beautiful guitar! All-mahogany guitars look best in satin, imo.

16. GAD

Thanks!

This guitar surprises me. Out of the box, it wasn't that great, honestly, but it needed some love. It was dry (but not damaged), it needed a fret polishing, new strings, and the action was too high. I gave it bone pins, got a bone saddle that I sanded down a bit, oiled up the fretboard and put on new strings and now this thing positively sings.

Up high on the fretboard, it gets a little ukulele sounding, but it's a tiny guitar after all. If I can keep my fingers down to the first 5-7 frets, this thing sounds HUGE! I'm constantly blown away by the volume this thing produces. I like bright guitars (Love my Taylor), and this little M20 is bright, but the mahogany tempers it, delivering a wonderfully balanced sound.

Best of all, it's built like a tank. I first fell in love with the M20s when I played a GAD M20 (chinese made). I loved the tone, but I like to play acoustics a bit harder to deliver volume. As one guy in a music shop told me, it's obvious that I grew up playing old Guild acoustics, because I think I can push 'em all hard. :) The GAD M20 could NOT be pushed hard, and I easily pushed the top to overdrive, which sounded terrible. Simply put, the GAD couldn't keep up with GAD.

This Westerly M20 can take everything I throw at it and it doesn't even break a sweat. I can strum it like a 70s Guild D25 and it just asks for more. I LOVE that in a guitar.

The sustain on this little guitar rivals my Taylor, and that's saying something. On the low frets, the M20 delivers a wonderful, complex tone that I just can't get enough of. The only time I feel the need to back off is when I play up high on the fretboard, but I constantly have to remind myself that this isn't a full-sized dread. It's easy to forget because it sounds so good and pushes so much air.

So yeah, I dig it. :)

17. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Man, this sounds like a huge score & a wonderful guitar. I wish there were more of those Westerly models out there, but I have only seen a few of them pop up.

Continue to enjoy!

18. LotHCT

LotHCT Member

I have this exact guitar except mine has a Fishman AGP-2 pickup and preamp factory installed. I bought this guitar new from a dealer in Dallas back in 2000 or thereabouts. Recently I've gotten curious abut exactly what I have and it has been difficult to piece together the details. Mine has a made in Westerly sticker inside. When you read the different Guild histories it was hard to tell when they stopped making guitars in Westerly. All of the serial number charts stop a few years before that. This is the first mention I have found of someone owning this particular guitar. The photographs convince me though that it is the same one. It is a wonderful guitar.

19. Faded

Faded Member

That is excellent!

20. GAD

If you'd like details about your guitar, email Hans Moust at http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/ with the serial number. He wrote the book on Guilds (literally), and can tell you more about them than pretty much anyone else.