NGD:What did I just buy?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mbell75, Jul 28, 2019.

1. mbell75

mbell75 Member

The only Dillion Ive ever seen in person was a Rickenbacker 4001 copy and it wasn't too bad. Saw this hanging on the used wall at GC tonight and wasn't really paying attention to the headstock, thought it was a PRS because I just glanced at the the body and neck before grabbing it.. Sat down and started playing it and immediately liked the neck and it sounded really good. Realized those weren't doves on the board. Looked at the tag and realized it was a Dillion and kinda chuckled, but it was only $199. Even cheaper than the two 10-12 year old Epiphone LP guitars sitting there ($289 and $379 for LP Standards) which Ive owned in the past and this felt better quality and sounded a ton better than the usual dark, muddy Epiphone stock pickups.

It sounds almost identical to the PRS 245 I played tonight. Never really cared what name is on the headstock as long as I like the guitar, this was a no brainer for the price IMO. I searched around a bit and I guess the model is called the DR500X, this has the Isis inlays that retailed at $699 new. Comfortable neck, fairly lightweight, sounds great...cant complain for $199!

[​IMG]

valvestate, Jdstrat, HERSCHEL and 4 others like this.
  2. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

A friens has one of their lemon burst LP copies. It's surprisingly good with a pretty good PAF vibe.

You scored!

mbell75 likes this.
  3. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Yea, I didn’t even know about this company but they actually make a TV yellow Junior I’d love to try. These go for around $399 used so I guess $199 is a pretty good score for a nice quality Korean made guitar.

4. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

I love buying quirky stuff like that!
    They can be modded and tweaked however you want without fear of losing resale value.
    Nice score :aok

JosephZdyrski and mbell75 like this.
  5. monty

monty Member

Great score!

6. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I've seen some Dillons that were amazingly good for the price and some that were lousy.

Sounds like you found a good one. Congrats.

mbell75 and monty like this.
  7. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Yea, I don’t have any experience with them at all but I’m impressed with this one. Doubt I would pay $699 for it but for $199, I have no complaints at all. Played it alongside a used Custom SE 24 and a new 245. Sound wise, I liked it better than then 24 but not as much as the 245. I will probably end up getting a used 245 although the neck is a little thick and I’m not crazy about LP body shapes. On the plus side, it’s lighter than most LPs I’ve played.

[​IMG]

monty and derekd like this.
  8. ranchofm

ranchofm Member

Most importantly, you got the '77 Trans Am inlays. East bound and down, buddy.

9. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I think my local GC has one of these. I've been a bit of a snob and didn't even give it a 2nd look, but maybe I should.

jvin248 likes this.
  10. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Same model? What are they asking for it?

11. naveed211

naveed211 Supporting Member

In that lighting, that color really pops. Looks like an expensive guitar!

Enjoy. Affordable guitars can be really nice sometimes, sounds like that’s the case here.

HERSCHEL and mbell75 like this.
  12. mbell75

mbell75 Member

I did a little more research and found out that that there are two Dillions, one in the US and one in Canada. Dillion US has them made in Korea (most likely by WMIC) and then they come back to the US for setup. Dillion Canada also has them made in Korea but also had cheaper models made in China that were lesser quality and more recently, Vietnam which are supposedly terrible quality. Seems the Korean made ones are the best quality and highest regarded. This one I got is a US Dillion that is Korean made.

derekd likes this.
  13. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I don't really know what to think of the "brand". I understand these are made to order by various contractors. "Dillon" will ink a deal with a decent manufacturer one time, and something awful another time. I'd have to urge caution. Inspect each guitar and buy each guitar as though it had no brand imaging at all. Use your wits - never stop just using your wits and senses.

I known that sort of blows up the thread, but I don't know what else one could do.

Thumpalumpacus, Gig Young and mbell75 like this.
  14. mbell75

mbell75 Member

As I said, there are (or were) two different Dillion guitars. The ones in the US are by John Dillion, no idea with the Canadian Dillion and they went under about 5 years ago. The general consensus seems to be that the older, Korean made Dillions are really good, especially for the price. The Chinese ones aren't as good but still decent and the Vietnamese ones are awful. I cant vouch for other Dillion guitars because this is the only one Ive ever seen, let alone played. But this one is a total steal for $199 IMO. But you are right, you should probably try and inspect them before buying them. That goes for any brand really.

15. Gig Young

Gig Young Orson Wells; Mercury Theater 1935 Silver Supporting Member

Truth

16. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

There is a local shop I know that has a Dillon PRS Santana sig model copy in Yellow. It's a decent guitar - not too bad at all. It's a PRS in all but name - the birds are correct and it's got the abalone stripes. I like it. It's been sitting there a couple years - he's had it tagged for $700 for a long time and can't move it. Lots of other cheaper stuff, or better known stuff, has come & gone out of his store in that time. Still can't sell it. I don't think he wants to negotiate.

17. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

You scored a Dillon PRS copy...

18. mbell75

mbell75 Member

$700 is too expensive IMO, that’s never going to sell.

I don’t really care what name is on the headstock or if it’s a copy of anything. You could argue that most guitars are copies of Strats or LPs. One could argue a PRS 245 is a copy of an LP. I don’t worry about that kinda stuff. All I know is I got a great guitar for $199 :D

valvestate likes this.
  19. jvin248

jvin248 Member

If your Dillion was made by WMIC in Korea ... that's the same factory all the PRS SEs were made at until a year or two ago they moved most to Indonesia/Cort. Probably the same hardware and electronics. Also from that factory are ESP/LTDs, Chapman, and some others. You'll have a good player.

Out of curiosity I looked up GC's used Dillion inventory and the lowest remaining is priced at $350...

mbell75 likes this.
  20. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I forget.