NGD:What did I just buy?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mbell75, Jul 28, 2019.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

It is what it is...

2. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Nice, yep the Dillions are very nice quality Korean guitars (along the lines of Agile, of which I have 5). You can usually score Dillions like these for $150-$300 depending on the model and they're worth every buck of it. If you swap the pickups for something higher end you'll have a really killer guitar. Enjoy it!

mbell75 likes this.
  3. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Depends on the model I guess because I just played the Dillion today against two Gibson SGs, an LP Jr, 3 LPs, and a PRS Custom 22. I keep trying to justify the cost of buying a Gibson or PRS because I like the look better than this copy but I liked the sound of the Dillion better than all these. They sound real similar to the Tremonti pickups but have a little more meat to them, like a cross between a Tremonti and an LP with BBs. They are on the brighter side, but plenty of punch and some chug to them. I honestly can't think of a pickup Id replace them with. The tuners are the weak spot on this one. They are decent but I could go for some better ones.

4. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Have you pulled the pickups to see if they’re stock? Lots of folks upgrade guitars like these so it’s very possible. But some of these stock import pickups can be pretty impressive too.

mbell75 likes this.
  5. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

That sounds about like every affordable guitar brand.

Some are great.... others not so much.

derekd likes this.
  6. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I guess it depends on what you call affordable.

Somewhere around the $500 mark, there are a number of brands you'd be hard-pressed to find a bad example. It wasn't that long ago you had to spend more to get that kind of QC.

I'm thinking G&L Legacy, PRS SE, Fender, Epi, etc.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  7. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

Oh yea I totally agree and was speaking more to the around 200-400 range or a little under even. The real budget options lol.

The Mid priced has gotten a lot more consistent in recent years.

derekd likes this.
  8. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Yeah, it's all relative.

When I was a kid that $200-$400 range was mostly junk.

I owned a couple different guitars in that range before I saved up enough to buy a MIJ strat.

Thumpalumpacus and JosephZdyrski like this.
  9. mbell75

mbell75 Member

I don’t mess with my guitars aside from string changes. I should ask the tech at the guitar center I got it from though, he almost bought it and he usually goes over the used stuff.

The problem with Dillion is the two guys running it had a falling out and split with one up in Canada. The guy up in Canada started to put out terrible quality guitars with the Dillion logo on them. They were made in China but the back of the headstock says they are made in Korea and it has a maple leaf and Dillion Canada. The REAL Dillion guitars, put out by John Dillion in the US, are the real guitars and far superior. These are actually made in Korea and say so on the back with just a serial number. Newer ones say they are made for Dillion US and you can find those models on the Dillion website. Thankfully the Canadian Dillion went under a few years ago and those guitars aren’t being made any longer. Most everything I’ve seen online has been positive with the legit Dillion guitars. So I’m willing to bet that the people who have played bad ones have played the crap Canadian models.

JosephZdyrski likes this.
  10. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

I probably see a better cross section of cheap stuff than most because I live right next to a used book/video/music/instrument/etc store and the particular store with the biggest instruments department. So I’m in there every day almost. They have a few new products too mostly pedals and occasionally a few new Katanas but most of the guitars are used aside from a few acoustics. Recording Kings mostly a Bristol mini occasionally too. They get some great high dollar guitars, but tons of cheap one that rotate through constantly and all just slightly under the best price online. Some occasionally for give away deals when they are overstocked. Like ~300$ guitars for 125-140$ stuff like that. So I see a lot of cheap stuff and since they keep the cheap stuff right on the floor and encourage people to try stuff I don’t basically sample every cheap guitar they get. And usually it’s the bell curve you’d expect but occasionally you find a real gem and I usually go home with those when I realize how cheap they are. How I found my RG170r, my Squire Strat and my Epiphone Special lol.

Interestingly enough the RG and the Squire where both made at the same factory (Cort Indonesia) within a year of each other 2002 - RG and 2003 - Squire ..... I have noticed other guitars from the factory/time period that I’ve almost went home with too. So perhaps there was a little sweet spot of time there but I’ve found other nice ones from just about every factory and time. But the cheaper you go the fewer and farther between the good oneself are.

However those earlier Ibanez RGs that pre date their GIO line always seem to be pretty awesome guitars for the money. But they really don’t come up for sale that often.
    I see probably 25+ GIOs for every one of those I see, if not more.

derekd likes this.
  11. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

There's nothing to "mess with" aside from taking the strings off (and sometimes you don't even have to do that, you can just loosen them a bunch) and unscrewing the four screws of the pickup ring, checking the back of the pickup for markings, then putting it back in. It's literally the easiest thing in the world to do with a guitar, and while I know GC techs work on these guitars sometimes I highly doubt they go through the trouble of pulling and checking for upgraded pickups. I've purchased about 10 guitars from GC in the last year or two, and I think about 6 of them came with upgraded pickups that were never mentioned in the listing.

Very easy to do yourself and get a quick answer, may have gotten a better deal on this thing than you thought :).

mbell75 likes this.
  12. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

In the 80's Cort, Westone, Electra, Aria Pro, and a few Cort Sears catlog guitars was great quality.

mbell75 and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  13. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Westone's Concord Stratalike was the first budget guitar I remember being a really good value.

My first electric was a Lyle-branded Matsumoku Strat. It was a better guitar than I was a player. But it took a long time for a $200 guitar purchase adding up to a good guitar.

14. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I beg to differ.

I had an Aria and Westone electric in the late 70s/early 80s and they were both junk.

Had an Aria 12 string acoustic that was halfway decent.

15. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Not everything is absolute.
    I've seen some very decent quality cort and aria pro guitars.
    I've also seen some crappy quality.

16. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Right.

That was my point. The QC and consistency of today's budget lines is significantly better than it was a few decades ago.

You needed to spend a good bit more back then to make sure you didn't get something that had or could develop issues.

17. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

No argument there.
    Managed a music store in the 90's. Aria was pretty good. Cort was hit and miss. JB Player, etc.
    But there were good options.

Today's squier stuff is like a dream compared to a lot of the stuff I tried to fix for kids.

derekd likes this.