NGD, would you send this back?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by underdog726, Jul 20, 2019.

1. underdog726

underdog726 Member

Bought a new fender players series guitar and received it earlier today. Its from Sam Ash.[​IMG] Look at the low E at how it misses the pole pc bad. I have had a few that were a little off center, but never this bad.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  2. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

I would never consider sending a guitar back for that, but of course I am not you.

xzacx, indeedido, woof* and 6 others like this.
  3. Cheddar Kung Pao

Cheddar Kung Pao Gold Supporting Member

Looks like maybe the neck is canted? If so I'd send it back. No reason to accept a brand new guitar that already has an issue.

valvestate, cr7r9, redragon and 14 others like this.
  4. underdog726

underdog726 Member

Really?, here is a pic of my SRV strat and it goes right down the center. Players get really picky on what pickups they use, but dont care if its way off center like that. Seems like it would have to affect the tone somewhat.[​IMG]

5. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

On second thought, maybe I would.

marshall2288, Hawking and underdog726 like this.
  6. underdog726

underdog726 Member

I agree, I already packed it back up, just wanted to see if im being to anal? Brand new, why not get it right instead of bugging me forever.

Oscar A, Skip Reid, Deus56 and 15 others like this.
  7. Cheddar Kung Pao

Cheddar Kung Pao Gold Supporting Member

A lot of people have weird hang ups about sending stuff back. Don't listen to them. You paid good money and deserve to be totally happy with your purchase. That's why return policies exist.

8. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

9. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

The whole neck needs to be shoved over. Happened to me when i got my Mexi Strat set up with a new loaded pickguard installed. Fender doesn't mention that the Custom Shop pickups won't align with strings on current bodies—that was one thing.* Second thing is that the neck just wasn't aligned. I think the tech just loosened the 4 bolt and nudged it. Notice your High E is also kinda near the edge of the fretboard. Hopefully, just nudging it will get both Es a bit of 'edge safety.' But, Fender will tell you the pole alignment isn't important. Which seems crazy to me, when raising/lower pole pieces has an effect, and people talk about single pickup guitars as having less string pull than multiple pickup guitars....

*EDIT: I think the more complete explanation is that vintage(-style?) bridges have different spacing and width than contemporary bridges, so if you swap in their own aftermarket pickups (in my case, CS69s), the pole pieces just won’t align. But I never saw that specification in any of the product details. Which sucks.

10. Slevin

Slevin Supporting Member

I will never understand people with zero standards on what they spend their money on.

It’s brand new. Send it back.

11. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

You just need to slightly loosen the neck screws, pull the headstock towards the low E and everything will line up. There's likely a gap on the low E string side of the neck pocket based on how far that neck is shifted.

12. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

I’d do the old neck trick and if it was still off send it back

13. specialidiot

specialidiot most likely to seceede Supporting Member

probably as simple as loosening the neck screws and moving the neck in the proper direction. It can change that much during shipping.

gregc, HERSCHEL, Gasp100 and 16 others like this.
  14. specialidiot

specialidiot most likely to seceede Supporting Member

psych

Big in Japan and rhinocaster like this.
  15. bryan83

bryan83 Member

Yeah that’s bad. I’d send it back.

H. Mac likes this.
  16. Tootone

Tootone Member

Neck is way off centre... thats bad.

Now, what were TGP saying about Squiers and Made In Mexico guitars being just as good as the USA Fenders... :spit

17. Tootone

Tootone Member

btw... string not aligned over pole piece is the very least of your worries.

Bad fitting neck, misaligned neck plate holes, strings slipping off board, impossible to intonate, setups last a few weeks, re-ocurring pain in the ass issues etc etc etc...

These are the things that will annoy you forever until the day you throw the guitar on the fire.

18. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

No wonder people get freaked out over this stuff with all of the alarming things they hear on the net.

OP, bolt neck guitars can have the neck shift/pivot during shipping. It has nothing to do with some kind of inherent misalignment of the neck or poorly drilled holes. You can find Squiers that look like that and you can find Custom Shop guitars that look like that. It's not a big deal and it's "fixed" with a simple neck shift in almost every case.

xzacx, HERSCHEL, bluesoul and 19 others like this.
  19. Tootone

Tootone Member

Until it shifts back...

OP you are right. Send it back. You paid good money to play the damn thing, not turn it into fix-up project.

20. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Supporting Member

This is exactly what needs to be done. No need to send it back, but I understand a lot of people do...