NGD: Wren and Cuff Violet World

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Axe Dragon, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Axe Dragon

Axe Dragon Member

What a deadly muff! Modelled after the Violet Rams Head.

Check it out:

http://youtu.be/Z7SYrsc-UC4

Thanks,

Axe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. krz4fx

krz4fx When too many really is TOO many... Gold Supporting Member

Thought it'll make it easier for people to see:

ShazamLazam likes this.
  3. onebigholiday

onebigholiday Supporting Member

i have one too... haven't really been able to use it too much yet though. what do you think of it? And how do you plan on using it?

[​IMG]

4. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Wow!

Silicone chips! ;)

5. tweedlux

tweedlux Member

I've had one for a few weeks. It's the best Muff I've owned, and I've had a few including an EHX late 70's model and an original Civil War. I went to Chicago Music Exchange and tried out both of the EQD Hoofs (Hooves?), Iron Bell, Colossus, Musket, JHS '73 Ram's Head (another CME exclusive), and some others, but I purchased this one. It's a little distinctive I think because of those BC 108s; it breaks up a little differently when cranked, like there's a little bit of Fuzz Face grain in there because of them. I have not used it live yet, but I have found that a Soul Food in front takes out the mid scoop perfectly (I admit some irony there, using a cheapo EHX clone of a boutique pedal along with a boutique clone of a cheapo EHX pedal!).

The JHS was very impressive too. I think if you want a very authentic Ram's Head the JHS is the better choice but if you want something just slightly different, go for the Violet World.

6. JC99

JC99 Member

Given the mid scoop, how's the overall tonality, on the brighter or darker end of things? By the demo, seems like it has nice clarity. You wouldn't think a Les Paul on the neck pickup could do MBV with a Muff, but it works!

7. McGurk

McGurk Member

I got the JHS Ram's Head and love it, but I almost went with this one. I'm curious to see how you like it. I'm loving my JHS, and was surprised by how well it worked with my guitar's volume knob. It seems as though this will have an even better response to volume knobs cuz of the FF chips.

8. tweedlux

tweedlux Member

JC99: I'm going to say brighter (for a Muff, that is). The tone knob sweeps a lot of frequecies and I find the most useable range to be 10:00 to 2:00 for optimum balance, plenty of bass and presence. But I can dial the tone all the way to the left where the highs and extreme lows are mostly cut and there's a bump in the very low mids, and I can still eek out enough treble to make it useable if I tweak treble at the amp. In the other direction, I find anything past 3:00 to be too shrill for my purposes. Hope that helps?

McGurk, I agree the Wren and Cuff VW and JHS '73 were both killers, the best of the bunch for me. Can't go wrong with either.

9. Axe Dragon

Axe Dragon Member

What is MBV? Is that the chord riff after earplugs (edit for autocorrect - earplugs = war pigs) and before the solo?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  10. tweedlux

tweedlux Member

11. Axe Dragon

Axe Dragon Member

So far I love it. It has an extra bite and clarity because of the BC108s. I also play a Les Paul 2013 R9 VOS ultimately into a Vox AC30. I run it after my tuner and before my SunLion - Timmy (low gain) - Phase 90 - Panther Cub - Moogerfooger MF104M.

I set the volume and tone around noon but slightly higher and I'm a hair shy of max sustain.

I generally run this without other drives, but I'll boost it with the Timmy for lead.

Thanks,

Axe

12. Axe Dragon

Axe Dragon Member

Agreed that the JHS is a great Rams Head replica. I chose the W&C for the unique tone and because I have a 9 month old daughter named Violet.

:)

Thanks,

Axe

13. Axe Dragon

Axe Dragon Member

It runs dark with the tone dialed low and bright with the tone dialed high. Quite a range!

Thanks,

Axe

14. Axe Dragon

Axe Dragon Member

It does have an excellent response to the volume knobs. However, I don't have much muff experience to compare it to. Also, the bumblebee capacitors in my R9 are also excellent. My 61 SG Reissue from 1991 pales in comparison with all my drives.

Thanks,

Axe

15. JC99

JC99 Member

Ah, "Sometimes," great tune. Hypnotic...almost had trouble typing this post.

Thanks tweedlux and Axe Dragon--that does help. I don't have a Muff with Ram's Head DNA, and this one sounds cool. I love W&C stuff!

16. oaeoeao

oaeoeao Member

My Violet World arrived today: #147. (They made 147 of these?) It's unfair to say the pedal has the scooped mids common to Muffs because the tone knob is capable of dialing in a wide range of treble/bass. I'm so tired of Hoof muffs wherein the mids are dramatically enhanced. Let's let our muffs be muffs. However perhaps The VW should be called "Muff Face."?

The BC108 absolutely cleans up with the guitar volume pot -- and it sounds great with my clean Princeton tone.

I also own The Caprid which got me into Wren & Cuff. I realize their pedals are a bit darling, i.e. expensive, but the demo video on CME of MBV hints at greatness. I've not explored any stacking yet but the VW is much richer than The Caprid.

I expect that a clean boost running after the VW will be a nice way to enhance what already sounds good. However, not much extra EQ is needed. I will explore running a treble booster after the VW in hopes for more tonal variety. Think Thelonius Monk meets Melvins.

I'm still reading about various Muff circuits. I hope to learn why this Violet sounds so different from The Caprid. Anyone with a good explanation of the tone capacitors in muffs please let me know.

More about the VW to come as I fit it into my board currently running with a DM-2 and an Empress Phaser and too many overdrives/boosts.

Very happy with the pedal, it's a keeper.

chankgeez likes this.
  17. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

Not sure why people think Wren & Cuff pedals are expensive. The only one I'd consider expensive is the Caprid and that's only because of the enclosure.

I'd love to pick up a Violet World at some point.

Here's Matt's comparison chart:

http://static1.***********.com/stat...ae4b0bc20d1e5ad18/1431397308599/?format=1500w

http://static1.squarespace.com/stat...ae4b0bc20d1e5ad18/1431397308599/?format=1500w

EDIT: Well, I'm not sure why TGP is blocking that image, but it's on the Wren & Cuff site in the FAQ section.

Lots of fantastic Muff info on Kit Rae's site:

http://www.kitrae.net/music/music_big_muff.html

Jess 1971 likes this.
  18. slave

slave Member

I own one of his Tallfonts. Great pedals, he's really done his homework and made a tone knob that's useful (not that common on muff clones!)
    His tallfont is my fave muff I've tried so far, and that's a lot of muff!
    I really like to stack into it with a spattery drive, like one with a voltage sag going on, I use a Barbershop. Spattery muff. Yum.

RE: Violets, you can read about them here, I think they're on page1 or 2.
    http://www.bigmuffpage.com/Big_Muff_Pi_versions_schematics_part1.html
    Here's another good link;
    http://www.diystompboxes.com/smffor...b9ae7a017e661be86ae519921a54035&topic=78111.0

From my experience trying to clone the W&C Tallfont, you may have a hard time. He's sanded the face off the trannies. IME building Muffs, the transistors, and the clipping diode's in the first clipping stage, make the biggest difference in tone. The size of the caps in parallel with the clipping diode's also make a difference, as they'll effect whether the low end or top end is clipped more/less.
    Also the larger the coupling caps, the more bass they'll let through, and whilst this can make the pedal sound beastly, it'll also turn it into a mud machine that will get into over saturation prematurely, so if youre going to build one, use sockets and test out whatever you like.

19. thruzero

thruzero Member

I've never felt the desire to post any type of gear review before. Beyond that I tend to be somewhat skeptical of glowing reviews in general. And yet here I am writing this one!

I am the owner of Violet World #122 and I must say that in almost 20 years of playing I've never heard a better muff than this. I tested it against my SUF VRH, Basic Audio Tri-Ram, JHS 73 Ram's Head and a vintage late '70's Big Muff Pi. In every case the Violet World outperformed and outclassed its competition. It's smoother than the SUF with no shrill upper midrange. It's more focused with better string definition than the Tri-Ram, more harmonically complex than the JHS 73. And it definitely nails the classic tones of a vintage Muff but with a more sonically pleasing mid scoop, more gain on tap, a refined low end and much less noise.

There is a striking balance of power and elegance to this pedal's tonal character, one which simply cannot be duplicated with my other muffs. Matt at Wren & Cuff has sculpted the perfect mid scoop here. The bass and highs/upper mids are fine-tuned. There's not a trace of harsh top end no matter how you dial it in. The tone control is useable throughout it's range to add sizzle or take it into dark overdrive land. Chords sound absolutely massive, solos are drenched in rich overtones and soar with a commanding presence. And thanks to the circuit's NOS Motorolla BC108C transistors you can back down the guitar volume and it actually cleans up beautifully.

Does it sound exactly like a vintage violet ram's head muff? Having never played a vintage violet ram's head I cannot say. I can only tell you that for pure sonic pleasure the Violet World kicks the ass of every muff I've tried thus far. Don't yet know how it compares to Wren & Cuff's Caprid but I plan on finding out.

The Violet World has far exceeded my expectations and has quickly become my all-time favorite fuzz/distortion. It is a thing of beauty to play and it's highly addictive. This is a limited edition pedal from W&C so if you've been searching for the perfect muff I would suggest you snag one while you can. Now go ahead. Be skeptical.

MmcGrouty and oaeoeao like this.
  20. mikoo69

mikoo69 Member

I wanted to settle on the Caprid, but I just don't think I can fit it on my pedalboard; I tried it against the Tall Font Russian, and a Greer Tarpit, and the Caprid was by far the closest to what I'm looking for in terms of singing sustain for leads...could cut through a bit more, but I can always run an EQ or Drive before/after it...

Anyway, will the Violet World get me closer (if not sound better) than the Caprid in a smaller footprint? The CME demo sounds like it's very wooly and dark, so not sure if it will give me the same creamy, rich, soaring sustain the Caprid gave me...

The other one I'm looking at is the Thorpy Muffroom Cloud.