• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

NGD!! (x2)

NHBluesMan

waited to share this until the 2nd one came in, got the V2 stereo slate in the mail yesterday (haven't had a chance to try it yet) and the V3 Jekyll & Hyde the week before. Already loving the J&H (i'll post a longer review later) and can't wait to try out the Slate!

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
can't wait to hear about the J&H! the demo on their site by shawn tubbs is very, very good! that dude doesn't feck around!

voorhiessa

I thought the v2 j&h was awesome and I'm probably the only person in the world who perferred that enclosure to the newer ones. I'm actually looking for another one in fact. Really all the dirt tones you need....

What's the difference with the voice switch?

NHBluesMan

ok guys- as promised, here's my rundown on the Jekyll & Hyde

Overdrive: they changed things up a bit and instead of a TS style circuit they stuck their Open Road in this side. It's 90% identical to the left side of the VS-XO, only difference is that they added a clean blend to it. I loved the original Open Road and i actually preferred how it stacked with my V2 J&H over the 808 circuit, and i love the VS-XO, but the clean blend option is a REALLY nice added feature. The settings you see on in the pic for the overdrive are the settings i use live. It's set as a clean boost, but with the tone all the way up it adds a nice little push to the upper mids. Really sweetens up my amp or any other drives that i run it with

Distortion: i'll give a quick rundown of each switch option that it's got.
Bright Switch:
Side A is less compressed and VERY bright. I keep the treble rolled back to almost 10 o'clock but i like the non-compressed sound of it better with my guitar and amp (guitar is my profile pic and i'm running a Blackheart Handsome Devil combo, or a Joyo American Dream straight to the PA).

Side B is basically the opposite to side A, bit darker and with some more compression on it. Since i keep a compressor on 99% of the time i typically stay on Side A to balance things out. I haven't confirmed it, but to me it would see that the bright switch is simply just a renaming of the 'Sharp/Blunt' switch on the V2's, maybe with some minor tweaks.

Voice Switch:
Voice A is very similar to the V2 J&H pedal (from what i remember when i had it). Can get downright nasty- has abit of a mesa vibe to it, but can also sound like a straight up distortion pedal (covers similar territory to a Rat with the right tweaks, also the 'angry bees in a tin can' sound if that's your thing). When messing with this side i pulled out some classic rock/metal riffs (Bark at the Moon has always been my go-to in this area, haha). But i primarily stick to voice B

Voice B is by far my favorite setting on this pedal. i've always been a sucker for great Marshall tones and this side has them in spades. Between the 3-band EQ and the bright switch i was able to dial in a great rhythm sound for my playing needs. One of the biggest surprises for this side was how touch responsive it was- it cleans up really nicely with volume roll-off and pick attack (gets nastier when you dig in, but cleans up nicely when you strum lighter), especially with the gain below noon. Speaking of gain, it has ALOT of it on tap. For my needs i'd probably never put it past noon, and the sweet spot for me is between 9 and 11 o'clock.

Stacked: i know a lot of guys hated the fact that the V2 J&H was distortion -> overdrive and not the other way around. I personally never had a problem with it, but i decided to try flipping the order on this one and i love how it sounds. With the distortion side set to lower gain, i can kick on the overdrive side and it adds extra gain without making it overly harsh. Basically i have it set so the distortion side is my basic rhythm tone and the overdrive is a 'more' switch (but it also sounds awesome by itself). I'm also running a V3 Route 66 and i'm using that TS circuit as a 2nd boost, giving me essentially 7 tone options to pick from (any pedal by itself, OD1 + OD2, OD1 + Distortion, OD2 + Distortion, all 3 stacked). Even stacking all 3 of them together stays musical, and without the compressor on they STILL clean up when i roll my volume back. I'm currently running Route 66 -> J&H Overdrive -> J&H Distortion (i'll post a pic with my settings later today)

Final Verdict: This thing is staying. I grabbed the VS-XO when it first came out and i LOVE that pedal, but i barely ever touched the right side because i couldn't get a good heavier sound dialed in that i liked. The J&H gave me that and officially kicked the VS-XO off my board. I know people say this a lot, but i could never buy another dirt pedal again for the rest of my life and i'd be completely satisfied. The Open Road and Drivetrain pedals are 2 of my all-time favorite overdrives, and the tweaked versions in the V3's are fantastic. Now having a ridiculously versatile distortion, with 2 very distinct voicings to choose from, i'm confident i could bring these 2 pedals to any gig and be more than ok tone-wise.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you guys have- but hopefully this gives a good rundown on some of the features of the V3. Cheers!

NHBluesMan

these are roughly the settings i've been using between the different drives. Occasionally i'll crank the tone on the J&H overdrive all the way up, depending on the guitar

Trending Topics