NGDx2 - Jedi mind-tricks at Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sleeplessknight, Jan 29, 2012.

1. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Member

Hey all, I worked out an EPIC (in my mind, at least) trade at Guitar Center Boston, and I just had to share with somebody. I've had a G&L S-500 Custom that I bought new in 2006 with all the fixings ('bacco-burst finish, matching headstock, fixed bridge, locking tuners, wood-bound body, bound neck, birdseye-maple neck with gun-oil tint finish, topped off with a rosewood fretboard). This guitar was awesome in just about every way except one - the neck was WAY too thick for my tastes. When I first took delivery of it, I tried to send it back for modification and neck-slimming, but the dealer talked me out of it. Consequently, while I did do a few gigs here and there, it sat in its case more often than not. The other day I realized it does me no good to have a gorgeous guitar sitting around doing nothing, so I initially went to Guitar Center Peabody to see about a trade. I figured that a straight-across trade for an American Standard Strat would be more than fair, but GC Peabody had a different idea. Even with their "15% discount on new gear when you bring in a trade" sale this weekend, they still wanted $300+ over and above the G&L trade-in for an Am. Std strat. Needless to say, I was not particularly happy with that offer, so I bade them good afternoon and made my way to Guitar Center Boston.

In Boston, I homed in on a sales guy and told him I was looking to see what I could get on trade for my G&L. After some general talk about the condition of the guitar, why I was looking to sell, the features and merits of G&L, etc, off he went to the manager to get it appraised. While waiting, I plunked around a bit and found an absolutely STUNNING '62 Vintage Custom telecaster. Burst finish, double-bound body, 'vintage-tint' neck, you name it. Plugging into an amp, it felt like this guitar was made for me. Tone for days, all the superlatives you care to imagine, this guitar had "it" in spades. Having my very own Wayne Campbell catharsis moment, all I could think was, "Oh yes, it will be mine". Sticker price: just shy of $2000.

About that moment, the sales guy comes back and apologizes profusely about how long its taking the manager to appraise. This particular Saturday night in the Boston GC being little crazy, I figured a bit of a wait was completely understandable and I was in no hurry. Sales guy asks me what I want for my "totally stunning" G&L. "This", says I, holding up God's own Telecaster. The eyebrow went up as he glanced at the pricetag, and much to my surprise replied "That... might be doable" as he trundled off to check on the manager.

Left to my own devices again, I wandered over to their used gear section and much to my surprise found a gently used MIA Stratocaster 60th Anniversary edition. It had everything I was looking for in a Strat - sunburst, rosewood board, single-coil pickups, rolled fingerboard edges - so I plugged 'er in and... WOW! ALSO a crazy-good guitar - significantly better feel, tone, fit, etc than the Am. Std I was looking at in Peabody - with a sticker price of $700. Expecting the Boston manager to appraise my G&L only slightly better than Peabody, I braced myself for disappointment on the G&L-for-custom-telecaster front, and figured that my original G&L-for-spiffy-stratocaster idea might not be completely out of my reach. Imagine my shock when the sales guy comes back to apologetically inform me that 'the best the manager can do is your guitar + $600 for the telecaster' :omg

For those of us keeping track at home, Boston just valued my G&L roughly twice that of Peabody. It was all I could do to not start back-flipping down the aisle, and a similar Herculean effort of acting to feign disbelief, put on the puppy-dog eyes, and reply "...b-b-but, that's it?" My sales guy is INSTANTLY sympathetic. We chatted for a bit about "corporate policy", how it's generally a better idea to sell directly than rely on trade-in value, etc, and eventually I get around to asking "Can we negotiate a bit?" My sales guy is the picture of helpfulness, "Well, we can certainly try. I'm happy to go to bat for you, you've been extremely patient while we deal with all these people..." etc etc. I look him straight in the eye and say "How about I give you guys my G&L and $800, and you give me the tele and this used strat here?"

Back to the manager the sales guy went. There was no small amount of back and forth, a counteroffer of "my guitar and $1300 for the tele and strat" was made, and eventually I asked to talk to the manager directly. The manager, also the picture of helpfulness, patiently explains to me the equation they use for figuring out trade-in values (briefly, 60% of the initial sticker price). I do some quick mental math and figure out exactly what they paid for the used strat. I revise my offer, and say that the store can keep the hard-shell cases if that helps with their margins. Final offer - G&L + $1100 for the tele and strat. The manager thinks about it for an eternity of minutes, looks at the clock (the store closed 20 minutes ago, by this point), looks at me, looks at the sales guy, looks at me, and says...

"DEAL!"

:omg:bonk:rotflmao

Believe you me, it was all I could do to not bust out right then and there! We finish up the paperwork, and I practically Carlton Dance out the door, guitars in-hand.

To recap, $1100 plus this:
    [​IMG]

netted me these two exquisite specimens:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

:bonk:rotflmao

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  2. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

You traded an S-500 with a saddle lock bridge? You, my friend, got hosed.

Just kidding, that sounds like a pretty good deal to me.... I can't believe you got those guys to wheel and deal. Congrats!

By the way, your pictures aren't showing up so I had to use my imagination.

3. QQQ

QQQ Member

Nice guitars.

4. Mr.Minor20

Mr.Minor20 Member

congrats man, gorgeous guitars

5. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Member

No no, the locks were on the tuners, not the saddles. :p And, gorgeous as the G&L was, it never got played because of the freakishly thick neck.

As for pictures, here's the raw links:
    G&L:
    http://bit.ly/yQTFGk

Strat:
    http://bit.ly/xTv55S

Tele:
    http://bit.ly/wQkCXI

6. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

7. jaxn slim

jaxn slim Member

8. Dashface

Dashface Member

I have owned and played the hell out of an AV62 tele for years now, and they are killer guitars. That's a fine score, sir, and congrats :D

9. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

Nice looking guitars!

That is the saddle lock fixed bridge. There's a very small Allen key with a plastic grommet that screws in the side to "lock" the saddles together.

10. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

You made a good deal for a GC trade but not really otherwise.

If you are happy though, nothing else matters.

11. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

Very nice!!!! My dream tele there.... Enjoy:)

12. jamdogg

jamdogg Member

These arent the droids you're looking for.

:D

Enjoy!

13. StanG

StanG Member

If you got the tele for $1100 and traded even up for the other two, you got a good deal.

14. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

sweet looking guitars, congrats!

15. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

Totally love that G&L.

If I might be so bold...what did you pay for it new?

16. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Great taste, love those two :cool:

17. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

That S500 is worth 450-550 tops to GC

so.......

I'd say you did GREAT

18. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

Good deal.
    I was visiting Boston 2 or 3 years ago and went to that Guitar Center and was greatly disappointed in their selection. Not having been to a Guitar Center I was hoping to find at least some of the cool accessories on the website. I wanted to buy something as sort-of a souvenir from my Boston visit and what I bought were things I could get locally - an E-Bow and a David Gilmour pickup set. I got a room at the hotel down the street from Guitar Center so it was cool that I could walk to GC and also to the House of Blues where I was seeing a concert. Everything was so close. I just wished they had more cool stuff that time I visited.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nice, I do find the Guys on the Guitar floor at the Boston GC pretty Helpful.

Oh And I am going to check out that G&L there tomorrow.

20. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

great deal at a GC! GREAT, in fact. . . . . imagine how long it would have taken you to sell your guitar and find each of those other ones. . . .