NGW / Jazz... I'm diving in head-first!

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Pete2, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Pete2

Pete2 Member

Hoooo boy.... Well, I just signed myself up for my first ever National Guitar Workshop, to learn about jazz guitar, something that I know next to nothing about. :eek:

I figured that the best way to get in the pool is to dive in head first...so what the heck! And I'm pretty excited... Anyone else going? Anybody have any experience with jazz instruction at NGW?

I applied for the CT campus August 9-15, the same week as the Jazz Summit, but I signed up for the Major/Minor for Jazz 1, since I have zero experience playing jazz. Should be fun! :)

Pete

2. artandink

artandink Member

Hey Pete,

I took a Jazz 2 major two years ago. It wasn't that advanced. I suggest you "audition" before the instructor to ascertain your level.

Are you commuting or staying in New Milford? Either way, you'll have a lot of fun.

I'm signed up for the Blues Summit again. It's the week before.

Art

3. Pete2

Pete2 Member

Hey Art, how do I audition-- is that done on the first day? I wasn't sure what level to sign up for. I've been playing guitar for 15 years, but know nothing about jazz and I'm weak with theory. But I've had years of piano lessons pre-guitar, so I know some music theory in general... just not specific to guitar.

I'm going to commute-- I only live maybe 45 minutes away, tops, which is shorter than my commute to work everyday!

Pete

4. artandink

artandink Member

On Sunday, after orientation, you meet with your major instructor for a brief assessment. It doesn't take them long to see if your in the right level. Jazz 1 is very basic. It might be worth it to pick up a beginning Jazz book to get some background. Go to the NGW site and look for the bookstore. I believe Jodi Fisher has a video and book on beginning Jazz.

5. AlexT

AlexT Guest

This is my third year (I signed up for Jazz 3 for the second week July).

Last year I signed up for Jazz 2, but was moved up to Jazz 3 at the "audition" - my test was to play a melodic minor scale and a few voicings of C13.

Time well spent and a lot of fun.

Alex

6. Pete2

Pete2 Member

Thanks for the lead... I just ordered it. You can actually get the book and DVD packaged together for $23 from Elderly Instruments.

Pete

7. Joe

Joe Senior Member

The more theory you have under your belt when you arrive the better. People who are bogged down and do not understand the modes, etc... get lost and frustrated quick. In one week they have to cover a lot of ground, so the better your footing the more you get out of it. My roommie was hopeless by the second day and started skipping classes since he was clueless by mid-week.

8. Rig James

Rig James Gold Supporting Member

Hey Pete,
    Im awaiting my registration papers for the maj/min classes the week of the jazz summit also. Sounds really interesting, Im looking forward to playing that style of music in a band situation with instructors. Im pretty exited myself I cant wait. Maybe Ill run into you there.

9. Pete2

Pete2 Member

Hey Jamnad, cool, man. Have you played jazz before? Which major did you sign up for?

Pete

10. Rig James

I didnt get my registration papers yet so Im not sure, they said ill have everything by Tuesday.
    Ive played Jazz( Real Book etc.) with other musicians, but have not been formally trained in jazz, Im looking forward to this workshop. Ill let you know what major and minors when I have registered. Talk to you soon

11. joejazzguitar

joejazzguitar Supporting Member

I'm a four-year vet of the blues and jazz programs at NGW....while none of the teachers are slouches, see if you can get to study with Barry Greene or Peter Einhorn (if he's still there). Both are excellent players and - more importantly - excellent communicators. You could also not go wrong in one of Jody's classes.

By far, my favorite teacher/player is James Hogan; he's got the whole pop/jazz thing nailed! If you can't get into one of his classes, make sure to catch him at the faculty concert.

If you like blues at all, Matt Smith is a phenomenal player and teacher, and he has a great sense of humor; his classes are a lot of fun.

have a blast,
    joe bivona

12. matte

matte Senior Member

I taught the most advanced Rock classes @ NSGW back in "86.

13. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

I've been to NGW 4 times - Blues, Blues summit twicw, and Jazz.
    The teachers are incredible, and had some amazing experiences learning from & just digging some incredible instructors, and meeting a ton of great players.

14. joejazzguitar

joejazzguitar Supporting Member

Tom's got a real good point; even if you are in commuting distance to the NEw Milford campus, you also learn a great deal by playing with people off hours in the dorms and after-hours jams.

Don't plan on getting too much sleep; I figure that during my frst week up there, I MAYBE got 25 hours sleep all week. By Wednesday, your body is running on caffeine, nerves and adrenaline....

Make sure that you take a mini-disc recorder and tape your lessons and the concerts......

joe

15. jzucker

jzucker Member

Kind of off topic but I was just explaining to my son today that when I was a jazz guitar major at the UofM, I learned more jamming with folks off-hours then I did at school. Surrounding yourself with other eager and hungry to learn players is one of the best ways you can learn.

16. Rig James

Hey Pete,
    Sorry for the delay, but im all signed up now. Im taking Jazz2 for a major, scales and modes and playing in a jazz band as minors. Im staying off campus as the dorms dont have a/c or private bathrooms, I just hope the eye of the tiger thing doesnt apply to guitar workshops. I am trying to find a small amp to bring. Im really looking forward to this week.

17. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

When were you at Miami?
    I started there in 73. I wasn't in the music school, but I did jam with a lot of the "kids" that were around. - like Steve Morse, andy west, Hiram Bullock, Will Lee, etc.

(I figure I can name drop cause I'm not famous & I don't know anybody)

18. Joe

Joe Senior Member

Neither did the dorms I lived in for four years at college.

You are going to miss out on the bonding the dorm creates IMO. In class you will see different people than you will see around the hallway, the dorms give you an opportunity to meet other players that have a different background playing wise. It was more than once where I heard someone playing something and I would go talk to them and bounce ideas off them. So its a little hot, bring a fan and wear flip flops in the shower.

19. Pete2

Pete2 Member

Cool. I'm currently signed up for the Jazz 1 major, but I hope to be upgraded to Jazz 2 when I meet with the instructor.

I'm not staying in the dorms either, I'm going to commute from home.

What do you mean "eye of the tiger"...

Pete

20. Rig James