NHD!!! (New Humidifier Day)

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Wolfboy1, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

New Humidifier Day!

After much research, hand wringing and trepidation I bought one. I keep all my guitars in a very small room (8x8) and was tired of filling soundhole sponges etc. Took them all out of their cases, 4 acoustics 1 classical and 7 electrics and placed them about the room, some on hangers. Then set the humidifier to 45% and life is good I hope.
    I bought the below listed model based on 1 main criteria and several lessor ones.
    1) I can set the amount of humidity in 5% increments and it only runs until the room is up to the desired setting then shuts off.
    2) Shuts off automatically when out of water.
    3) Easy to clean
    4) Type (Ultra Sonic)
    5) Cost < $60.00

[​IMG]

It was recommended on a couple of guitar sites for small room humidification. In all fairness there were a couple of others as well but this one had what I was looking for in features.

Jeff_G, eigentone, Jdstrat and 2 others like this.
  2. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Which one is that?

3. Wolfboy1

TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier with No Noise, LED Display, Ultrasonic Humidifiers for Home Bedroom, 4L/1.1 Gallon Capacity, Adjustable Mist Levels, Timer, Waterless Auto Shut-off, US 110V

4. RedSky

RedSky Member

Let us know how you get on with your humidifier - I wonder if I need one as well.

5. Mike R.

Mike R. Supporting Member

This looks good and I need a second for the bedroom.

I have one of the Crane Drop humidifiers in the guitar storage room. It’s going on it’s 5th winter season and still working perfectly.

I’ll take a peek at the one you purchased. Thanks for the tip.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  6. Bluesidae

Bluesidae Member

I just purchased a humidifier. So far the RH is sitting at 40% and I am hanging the guitars on the wall. Normal RH is 20% so my guitar room feels like I am playing guitar in the tropics!

eigentone, 84superchamp and Wolfboy1 like this.
  7. tammuz7000

tammuz7000 Member

I bought a venta and it works great. No filters to mess with and is whisper quiet. Not sure I would hang them on the wall and take the humidifiers out. I do both the room humidifier and a kyser in the guitsr in the case and don’t have any issues. I keep electrics out but never a martin.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  8. s2y

s2y Member

I once had a hot plate one that shorted out and had a little smoke coming out of it. No more!

I now use some sort of Honeywell cool air humidifier. Huge reservoir that could probably last a week if I went somewhere.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  9. Groberts

Groberts Silver Supporting Member

This is a great post! Thanks for sharing. Let us know how its working out. I find the challenge is cleaning them. Some are harder to clean than others. (How often do you have to fill it? And do you use tap water or ???? )

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  10. Wolfboy1

So far so good. Until this week I had been leaving the door open and it set on 45% humidity. A water fill lasted 3 days, since it got really cold this week and the furnace is working pretty hard a fill up last only 1 day with the door open. I'm warning my family the door will be kept closed starting this weekend. A fill up every day is too much. No cleaning issues yet.

Outlaw likes this.
  11. GravityJim

GravityJim Silver Supporting Member

Those ultrasonic humidifiers will grind minerals in the water into a fine white powder that you may soon find all over everything. It’s not harmful, as far as I know (mostly calcium, chlorine and iron), but it’s super-ultra fine, so I’d be leery of letting it sit on a porous nitro finish.

Cal Webway likes this.
  12. pickdropper

pickdropper Supporting Member

This is why I switched over to evaporative humidifiers. The ultrasonic work fine but the white dust is annoying.

13. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

The difference is amazing when going from warm dry air, into a room with proper humidity...+1 on the tropics feel.
    I have a similar unit as wolfboy, but it is anything but exact and constant. I try to keep it between 40-50 but have to constantly check it to turn it up or down.
    Not sure how accurate this synopsis is but reading on an acoustic guitar forum: "in a propery humidified room, just taking your guitar out of its case and playing for a while is like giving it a drink"...i.e., not necessary to leave them out.

eigentone and Wolfboy1 like this.
  14. Wolfboy1

Yep, they will soak up that air born moisture pretty quick if they need it.

84superchamp likes this.
  15. Colnago

Colnago Member

If you have a furnace I would suggest getting a whole home setup. Easy to install and they only cost a couple hundred dollars. It fills automatically and you have a humidistat to dial it in. This way everything in your home gets the benefit of proper humidity, including the structure itself. Plus, humid air is easier to heat so it is more efficient and your bill is less.
    And the main reason is so that your guitars are not confined to only one room!

16. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

The problem with a lot of whole house humidification systems is mold... at least in my neck of the woods.

We rely on the hot air style in our bedrooms and where my guitars get stored. In the Winter, I end up refilling once a day at least. In the Summer, i end up running a dehumidifier in the guitar room.

Cal Webway and 84superchamp like this.
  17. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

My girlfriend refers to my music room as The Jungle.

Bluesidae and 84superchamp like this.
  18. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

I finally went to the next step yesterday and installed humidifiers in my two acoustics...this single digit temps will be around a while.
    I only had 2 but thinking about buying more for the hollow-bodies. The type that looks like a 1ft section of hose with sponge inside and holes throughout...i can work it into the "violin holes" to get it inside.

eigentone likes this.
  19. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Yeah, this brutal cold snap requires that I run my room humidifier nearly nonstop. I also put weatherstripping around the door of the music room.

84superchamp likes this.
  20. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Silver Supporting Member

Does distilled water eliminate the white waste thing?