NHD!!! (New Humidifier Day)

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Wolfboy1, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

Yeah, but it gets costly.

Cal Webway likes this.
  2. pup tentacle

pup tentacle Supporting Member

Some humidifiers, like the ultrasonic Boneco 7135 I use, have a filter that does away with that issue. I haven't dealt with any residue in the last few years I've had it.

Cal Webway and Axis29 like this.
  3. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

I literally just got home from a CL humidifier purchase, a Vornado ultrasonic, that was originally around 180. They were trying to get 70 out of it. I offered 50, they accepted. When I went to pick up today, they could verify that it worked perfectly, so they just have it to me. Score!!!

4. mt1782

mt1782 Silver Supporting Member

I’ve been using this same unit as OP on and off for two years. This winter I’ve had several acoustics out so it runs around the clock. How long between refills depends on current local humidity, in central Texas I don’t have major heating to do so 1-3 days (set at 45% humidity) in a 12x11 with the door open. I’m on a well so just fill it out of my RO unit and I’ve never had powder. Previous I was using a Honeywell that held 11 gallons with a wicking filter, it covered more area but was more work with filter cleaning and replacements.

5. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Silver Supporting Member

My humidifier died 3 days ago
    Hard to find one locally, bc of the deep cold for wks.
    Found one yesterday, and near the exact design/function of my old one, but a different company!!

6. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

I have been through this process and there is no better solution then an evaproative unit. The 2 drawbacks with ultrasonic units are:

1. White dust
    2. Bacteria growth because you cannot use a bacteriastat in an ultrasonic.

Unless you clean your humidifier every day you need a bacteriastat to prevent mold and bacteria (pink slime). I use Honeywell Evaporative humidifiers and they work great with a capfull of bacteriastat per filling. Stay away from Vornado cause they tend to leak (learned my lesson) and their humidistats are not accurate at all +/- 15 percent or more.

This is the new unit I just bought from best buy and it works great!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/honeywell-1-5-gal-cool-mist-humidifier-black/5863802.p?skuId=5863802