NI Battery and Sonar 2/3 question

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by fiftywatt, Sep 23, 2004.

1. fiftywatt

fiftywatt Member

I'm a fairly experienced user of Battery. I use it as a Dxi in Sonar 2.2XL or v3 Producer edition. I've never had any luck routing the individual cells in Battery to separate audio outputs in Sonar's track view or mixer view. I can set up multiple outputs inside Battery with no problem and they appear in the track or mixing view just fine. Mainly I just want to separate my snares, kick, hi-hat, ride cymbal, crash cymbals and use a few insert fx on the sounds. Standard stuff, correct? What am I overlooking?

2. jnavas

jnavas Guest

I have the same problem in Pro Tools Le. Tried a bunch of stuff with no luck. I don't have any problems with any of the other software I'm using either.

3. fiftywatt

fiftywatt Member

Basically you highlight a cell in the matrix and then
    go down to the area where it shows your outputs
    Click and drag to scroll the different outputs available.
    It ain't obvious at all but it works. Found this out today
    on the Battery forum.

4. jnavas

jnavas Guest

Did that work under Sonar? I've tried that before, and it still doesn't fix my problem. However, a guy on another board said he had the same problem and after wiping his hard drive and doing a complete reinstall of everything, the output problem was solved. Guess I'm going to have to try that.

Thanks for the info, though.

5. fiftywatt

fiftywatt Member

Absolutely worked in Sonar 2.2XL, assume it does in v3 as well. I've reformatted my hard drive a number of times, but that's an extreme measure to take to try to resolve this. Try setting up the outputs in Battery, close Sonar, relaunch it and then start mapping your drum cells to the different outputs. You have to solo your various Battery audio tracks in Sonar sometimes to see where they are going. Naming conventions are a little confusing. You could try uninstall/reinstalling Battery, but wiping your hard drive and rebuilding your system? No, that's overkill.

6. jnavas

jnavas Guest

I'm using Pro Tools Le on a Mac. NI technical support got back with me and suggested the same thing (reformat and reinstall everything). Glad to hear that you got it to work in Sonar-that gives me hope I can get it going here. I do find it strange that multiple sources have told me that a hard drive wipe and complete reinstall usually fixes this.

7. jnavas

jnavas Guest

On another note, have you played with loading Akai, or other samples, into Battery? I'm hoping to turn it into a poor man's sample playback unit. I plan on constructing some kits consisting of just the drum/percussion sounds that I need, along with some synth, horn, and string samples.

8. fiftywatt

fiftywatt Member

I'm sure NI tech support are WAY more knowledgeable than me. If they suggest a reformat of your C drive and reinstalling XP and everything else, I'd do it to. I have done that several times, and each time I've learned a little more about tweaking my PC for multitrack audio. I have used Battery for loading raw .wav files of various drum samples, but not much else. I use various softsynths for other sounds I need in arrangements. NI make a bunch of really nice ones. So does Arturia and Korg.